Hello, from the new guy

I am so happy to have found this site! I just turned 60 this summer, and have experienced some pretty serious medical issues in the past. Skin and nail problems from psoriasis for past 30 plus years have really only been a nuisance and occasional embarrassment. My usual Psoriasis scenario starts with a prolonged period of stress, first skin patches erupt and sometimes- toes and fingers swell up like little balloons. Not that painful, just sore! When source of stress is reduced or eliminated my symptoms go away, sometimes for 6 months at a time. I've always been able to manage ok.

Now THIS is different!!! In September my right hand inflated to ridiculous size, hot, twisted fingers and PAIN like I've never felt before. Yikes! (I am grateful that it is only in one hand and not all over my body like some of you, but really worried that it may progress rapidly.) This time the stress level has been at an all time high for about 2 years. (Bad economy / self employed craftsman / not enough income / trying to sell family homestead to get out from under debt / completely financially dependant on family & more).

My "treatment" began with a visit to my PCP who immediately put me on a weeks worth of high test prednisone. I took it without questioning and the swelling improved almost within days. She set me up with a rheumy who took a quick look at me, sent me for bloodwork and gave me a weeks worth of Celebrex to try. I took it for a week, my hand blew up again and the stuff didn't do anything for me except make me feel lousy. Rheumy said no one had ever complained about that before and wrote prescription for Methotrexate(sp?) . I asked him what it was, "stronger than Celebrex"...you just take 6 pills at once one day each week for the rest of your life." I explained my dislike of any long term medication, and asked about side effects. " In rare cases people develop Lupis, you may be susceptable to pnuemonia and other illnesses, and we'll have to watch your liver function carefully. (He never asked about my alcohol consumption) "You really have no choice, since without this treatment you risk severe and irreversible joint damage." I left his office and called the pharmacy to tell them not to fill the script until I had time to research more.

I went back to my PCP and told her I wanted to try alternative treatments first, since my history has been to have a flare in reponse to stress, reduce the stress and eventually the flare subsides. "A pattern", I told her. To my surprise she agreed and we started a combination of diet and lifestyle changes including no gluten, reduced dairy, increased exercise and cutting back on an alcohol habit I'd developed as my personal stress reduction regime (2 -3 glasses of red wine & dark chocolate each night after supper!) I wanted to try acupuncture as well. She handed me some Celebrex in case I needed it and wished me luck.

Since then (about 5 weeks) I've stuck to the plan. My hand is swollen to some degree every day, I use heat and ice. The pain is wicked in the morning, but I open, close, and stretch my hand and fingers for the duration of my 45 minute commute which really helps loosen things up. Most days I can work, but the fatigue is sometimes overwhelming and my usual 10 minute naps can turn into 1 hour easily. Sleeping through the night can be problematic. When I just can't stand it anymore, I take 2 Alleve with food and water every other day or so. This seems to be working. I am supposed to have a follow up with the rheumy next week and I fear he's not going to be supportive!

I sense from others on the site that many of you have much worse symptoms than I, and therefore have accepted the role of these powerful drugs as a necessity in your lives. I wonder, did you try alternatives first? If so, for how long before you felt it necessary to go with the heavy duty drugs?

I have so much respect for all of you who share this misery and are learning how to make the best of it.

Thank you!

Turbodaddy

Positives are terrific wife and daughter, mostly good health and optimistic about the future.

Welcome to the group! You asked specifically about alternatives. I have tried a few alternatives while also using standard protocols. I have tried acupuncture, dietary changes, supplements, and have researched many different ideas. Last year I had to add in MTX on top of plaquenil and NSAIDs, but that REALLY didn't agree with me. I'm now on leflunomide instead of MTX. Right now I happen to be trying out turmeric as an alternative, and am having a good response, but all bets are off come allergy season in the spring.

For me the fatigue issue got better, but didn't go away, when I started plaquenil way back. I still have issues with fatigue, but back then I couldn't make it through the day without laying down and resting 3 or 4 times a day. I wish you the best with finding out more information and getting on top of things.

Hey @turbodaddy! welcome.
Sounds like you've got a nice plan there. I decided I couldn't go alternative route alone so I'm on MTX but also am gluten free and taking a barrage of vitamins and supplements: whatever helps to keep the inflammation down and the energy up. I'm interested to know how the acupuncture goes for you.

Glad to hear you've got a doc who listens and a supportive home team! Best to you,

Jane

Jane- Do you mind talking aobut what supplements and vitamins you are taking? Or private message me if you'd rather not share publicly?

Yeah, I forgot to mention fish oil, vit.B12, D, and something the acupuncturist recommended - extract of milk thistle. No fried food, only very occasional small portion of meat, lots of fish- stay away from calamari & shrimp- too much cholesterol. Also trying coconut oil as substitute for butter on toast (no gluten) in a.m. "Udi" brand multigrain is pretty good. The acupunture guy says that in asian medicine, the liver has a major role in joint function. The milk thistle is supposed to "cool the liver". In scientific studies milk thistle has been shown to have a positive effect improving liver function and with removing toxins (supposedly even from exposure years ago.) My theory is that none of this stuff can hurt me (unlike the drugs being thrown at me) and who knows, maybe it'll actually work?

Welcome and thank you for sharing. I will be looking into the things that you have tried and possibly see if they work for me. Best wishes.

Welcome