Hands

I think it is important to talk through your concerns about Arava (sp?) with your doctor. I must admit it is the only one of that “class” (traditional DMARDS) I never tried due to similar concerns. And, you do have the option of changing to Humira which might just knock it on the head because you responded so well to Enbrel. Humira was really successful for me for a long time after we realised Enbrel was not helping my Crohn’s and switched.

i met with him yesterday and he is leaving it up to me. he knows my concerns but really wants to give the boost a try since we are only dealing with two fingers. i am confused and thinking really hard about the options.

I was on Arava/leflunomide for quite a few years. The only side effects that I had was some GI upset. We backed off to a lower dose for probably a month and I never had problems with GI upset again from that. It actually worked quite well for me for quite some time.

With just two fingers really impacted the question is whether you make a systemic change or whether you directly address the problem area is with steroid injections and potentially surgery.

I seem to never get truly amazing results from any of the meds so I have had quite a few surgeries and actually have one scheduled for a trigger finger release later this month. It seems to be the best compromise for me is to stay on the meds that are doing a good enough job and deal with these little issues over time.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you get a vertical mouse. They are $20 bucks on Amazon and have saved my wrist. They don’t take much to get used to and I think you will love it.

I also found some inexpensive compression gloves on Amazo that help my hands, and help the swelling. Here is the description. I don’t think I can post a link.

Vive Rheumatoid Arthritis Gloves - Men and Women Fingerless Compression Wrap for Hand Pain and Osteoarthritis - Black Hand Wrap for Arthritic Joint Symptom Relief - Open Finger Fit

For the price, I have several pairs because I am always misplacing them.

My hands are getting worse. My doc has switched Biologics in hopes of keeping the PsA out of them. Like you, I have to type all day. I am getting pinpoint shooting and burning pains in my fingers occasionally. The only thing that will slow them down is muscle freeze spray. It has gotten to about $10 a can on Amazon, but it is a lifesaver when I get these terrible pains. Use it carefully.

Since I can’t take NSAIDS or MTX, I am just helical inclined plane wrapped around a cone. The swelling an stiffness makes my typing worse than my dysgraphia already makes it!