Hand Pain

imageI just have a question about the swelling and discomfort I am experiencing in my hand.

As an overview, the fingers and wrists are moderately swollen on both hands.

Aside from some swelling I am not experiencing any joint discomfort of my left hand.

My right hand is where I have most of the issues.

I have swelling of the distal joints, fairly moderate and no real discomfort at this stage.

Where I experience most discomfort is in the wrist and across the top of my hand when I flex it.

I have been reading to try and determine what the issue is across the top of my hand and it sounds as though it may be Tenosynovitis.

I’ve been reading that with PsA entethisitis is a symptom.

I’m just trying to work out what it is likely to be and how it may fit in with PsA.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone else who experiencing the same symptoms to help clarify this

1 Like

Actually, I’m very interested in the answers as well.
Really good topic, thank you!

I don’t know what happened to my post- I tried to edit it but it seems to have double posted

Anyway, I’m just trying to educate myself about the disease and symptoms before I visit the GP.

I’ve been looking at the clinical features of PsA and looking at the chart on the Discover PsA website that compares the features to RA,AS and OA.

I have the asymetrical sacrolitis and finger joint swelling.

I was just wondering the pain across my hand is how enthesitis would typically present.

http://www.enthesis.info
This is a excellent website for the latest on Enthesitis.

1 Like

That could also be symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome.

I considered carpal tunnel syndrome but from what I’ve read on that the pain is on the palm side of the hand and involves tingling and weakness.

I also have swelling of the fingers and wrist in my left hand , sacrolitis and trouble with a knee joint.

1 Like

It’s likely tendon pain. Early on in the disease I would get somewhat diffuse swelling in my hands, especially by the mcp joints. It’s done some damage to those joints at this point. Because the joints aren’t perfectly aligned anymore, I get a lot of tendon pain going down the back of my hand into my forearm.

What you’re describing sounds like tendon inflammation.

1 Like

Based on the location I think it is extensor tendon inflammation.

The first 6 months after I was diagnosed and started taking Otezla, I had to stop wearing my wedding ring because I would wake up in the morning with my fingers swollen. That has gotten better and I can wear my ring now, but I also have pain on top of my right wrist and across the back of my hand. It seems to attack the hand I use most. My wrist and the area of my arm there stays swollen slightly, but not a lot of pain. I have days that using my mouse hurts though.

The doctor gave me some Pennsaid to put on my knees but some days I will rub it on my hand sand fingers.

I use a computer a lot in my job and on days I have to do a lot of mousing and typing my hands will feel crampy.

One of the diagnosing symptoms of PsA is tenderness in the web between your thumb and index finger. I had thought I was getting carpal tunnel until my doc told me it was from the PsA.

Like you it’s using the computer mouse that causes most of the discomfort. It’s when I flex my hand , across the top so it must be related to the flexor/extensor tendons.

I basically don’t have any pain unless I’m using the hand.

My wrist and thumb are also affected. The web between the thumb and forefinger isn’t tender however.

The swelling I have is on both hands and wrists but more so on the right.

I can no longer wear my ring on my right hand or fasten my watch on my left wrist.

Do you also have finger joint pain at all?

The distal joints of my right hand are swollen and I have discomfort when I bend the joints.

Yes, to some degree. It comes and goes. I had to invest $80 in a very good logitech track pad to use when my wrist hurts. I have a place in the flexor tendon on right had in the last bone where I was stabbed with pencil 50 years ago that acts up.

For now the swelling is minor. My watch and medi alert bracelet get tight sometimes. I find that I have to stop during the day about once an hour nd flex my hands and maybe run cold water on them for a few mintues.

If you do a lot of mouse work (I do some 3D modeling), have either of you tried a vertical mouse? @tamac @ktel

I had problems with my mouse shoulder due to the unnatural angle (I rarely have problems with my hands), and I can’t speak highly enough of it. It is supposed to be good for hand fatigue too, as it is a much more natural position.

Takes a bit to get used to, particularly if you do fine work with the mouse, but now I wonder why we ever made them any other way…

I have looked a them. It may be a good solution for me. I am starting to have trouble rotating my arm and wrist to the position of placing my hand on the mouse.

I’ll check them out. Thanks.

Which one do you use?

I use Evoluent wired vertical mouse :grinning:

I have PSA with tenosynovitis in both wrists. I went to Ortho to have it evaluated. I’ve had both wrists, and CMCs injected and ortho referred me to Occupational therapy. My OT made special splints for me that I wear whenever possible. All of this has helped the wrists calm down a lot.

Hands, feet, fingers and toes. Never much sausage issues of any of them but loads of otherwise issues. For me it’s all just PsA. Doubt things like a carpel tunnel release operation would do much good. Best first to get the inflammation down. And then see.

Well I will find out if it helps me, I am having carpal tunnel surgery in a couple of weeks, along with a pinky trigger finger release surgery.

Oh best of luck Jon, I so hope it does help you. Sounds like you might have to get voice dictation to communicate with us while you recover though. Same hand or are both hands involved?

I had a similar surgery last fall. Left hand release de Quervain and left trigger thumb on the same day.

Very manageable.