Glossary of terms

Has anyone developed a discussion that gives the different terms associated with this disease? I'm new to PsA (there's one) and there are so many abbreviations and concepts to learn. Can anyone do this? For example, NSAID, DMARD, MTX, biologics and so on ...

NSAID: non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, Celebrex, Aleve, etc.)
DMARD: disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs (MTX, Sulfasalazine, etc.)
MTX: methotrexate. (A DMARD)
Biologics: this is used to describe a class of drugs. Really it’s more slang than anything. We use it here to describe the group of drugs like Humira, Remicade, Enbrel, Symponi, etc… They are known as “biologics” because of how they are made.
Biosimilars: this is a term used to describe the generic versions of biologics (not yet available, but are in trials at this time).the term is used because the generic form is not the exact same drug.

PsA: Psoriatic Arthritis

P or Ps: Psoriasis

"Rheumy": Rheumatologist

"Derm": Dermatologist

"Ortho": Orthopedist

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, just ask. I am happy to give assistance.

Oh, and another one that came up recently- OP: original poster

Fabulous idea!!!

PT: Physical Therapy

OT: Occupational Therapy

"spondy"/spondylitis: an inflammation of the vertabrae / arthritis affecting the vertebrae that causes them to fuse together

Also, the five types of Psoriatic Arthritis, according to psoriasis.org:

Symmetric arthritis is much like rheumatoid arthritis but generally milder with less deformity. It usually affects multiple symmetric pairs of joints (occurs in the same joints on both sides of the body) and can be disabling.

Asymmetric arthritis can involve a few or many joints and does not occur in the same joints on both sides of the body. It can affect any joint, such as the knee, hip, ankle or wrist. The hands and feet may have enlarged "sausage" digits. The joints may also be warm, tender and red. Individuals may experience periodic joint pain, which is usually responsive to medical therapy. This form is generally mild, although some people might develop disabling disease.

Distal interphalangeal predominant (DIP) occurs in only about 5 percent of people with psoriatic arthritis. Primarily, it involves the distal joints of the fingers and toes (the joint closest to the nail). Sometimes it is confused with osteoarthritis, but with DIP, there usually are nail changes.

Spondylitis is inflammation of the spinal column. In about 5 percent of individuals with psoriatic arthritis, spondylitis is the predominant symptom. Inflammation with stiffness of the neck, lower back, sacroiliac or spinal vertebrae are common symptoms in a larger number of patients, making motion painful and difficult. Peripheral disease can be present in the hands, arms, hips, legs and feet.

Arthritis mutilans is a severe, deforming and destructive arthritis that affects fewer than 5 percent of people with psoriatic arthritis. It principally affects the small joints of the hands and feet, though there frequently is associated neck or lower back pain.

SE: Side effects

Thanks everyone. Helpful. I'm in Canada and although we have socialized medicine the drug plans are provincial. Biologics are not available in Saskatchewan unless we can prove that we've tried two types of DMARDS unsuccessfully. SSZ (?) seems to be providing me with a slow but steady relief from pain and inflammation (added to diet and several herbal things from a Chinese doctor). I can only hope it continues.