Glad I got that 2nd opinion!

I haven’t been on in a while because after my previous dr took me all meds (previous post), I got very frustrated and angry with everything “PsA” and just ignored it all until I visited my orthopedic dr. in September. I explained that my trigger finger had spread to both hands since my last visit with him and I explained the joint problems and experience with my previous rheumatologist. When he asked who I had been seeing and I answered, his first words were “So I’m guessing you want a 2nd opinion”. I thought this was very telling that he immediately went there. So he referred me to the original rheumatologist I wanted to see (but was gonna take 6 months) - with his referral, it only took me 2 months!

I had my first visit with him in November, just before Thanksgiving. I had only been taking ibuprofen since last August, so needless to say I was feeling rough. He was just more thorough with his questions and examination and overall concern. In fact, he even did an ultra sound on my hand, as well as had his partner review it as well. They said that they could “see” my pain. In a strange way, it was comforting to finally have someone acknowledge that my pain was real! 6 months at the other place and never even mentioned an ultrasound…

Based on the info he had available, he said he felt strongly about a PsA diagnosis, but he wanted to run his own blood work and review notes from previous rheum, ortho and derm dr and see me back in 4 weeks. In the meantime, he put me on Duexis 800mg to give me stomach some relief.

My follow up appointment was this morning and he confirmed the PsA diagnosis, in his words, “without a doubt”. We agreed that the previous mtx of 12.5mg for 12 weeks wasn’t enough to deem it not working before going biologics, so he put me on Otrexup 20mg, folic acid and continue with the duexis twice a day and follow up in 4 weeks. Anyone else go from pill mtx to auto-injector? If so, any differences?

Thank you so much for all of the words of encouragement and the advice to seek a 2nd opinion! Now that I feel I am under the proper care, I can better embrace what I now believe is a true diagnosis and begin to change my lifestyle to fight this! I just hate that I wasted almost a year getting to this point. My heart goes out to all of you that suffered much longer than I to get a proper diagnosis and care.

I don’t use an auto injector with the MTX but I do inject (its just a sub q/insulin syringe I don’t even feel it) I would not do it any other way. Many fewer stomach problems and the med has a definte better effect (confirmed by many studies after the pill shortage a few years back)

Congrats on the DX, it is a relief isn’t it?

I do not use an autoinjector for MTX but DO use the syringe. Pills (for me) were much less effective and the vomiting was basically constant. No problems with the syringe. Have been doing it weekly for a year (in combo with biologics) with gradual positive results and no noticeable side effects. I also take leucoforin as a folic acid “rescue” the day after my doses.

Good luck and glad you are feeling less frustrated!

1 Like

So glad you got a second opinion and a confirmed diagnosis. And glad you’re on the right track with your meds again. I went from a pill to the sub-cutaneous syringe (not autoinjector). Easy and painless and, as lamb and nbynw said you’ll probably get some relief (even if biologics are in your future). Thanks for letting us all know how you’re doiing!