Gastro Issues

Hi All, I was diagnosed 3 years ago and am currently on the cocktail of oral methotrexate, meloxicam and Simponi Aria. I was on Humira for a year, but it stopped working. When I first started the Humira, I stated having some stomach issues, mainly a lack of appetite, but if I ate one bite too much, I would vomit. I quickly learned to understand my body so I knew when to stop eating, and being a bigger person, the weight loss was good for me. Fast forward to now, I have been on Simponi Aria since October 2015 and my stomach is out of control. I have heartburn, gas, bloating and trouble swallowing. Some days I can eat a normal amount, or even a lot and I am fine, other days I can't even keep down toast. Is anyone else having these problems? I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist, but I am now wondering if he can help me. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you!

Hi Kristin. I take methotrexate, meloxicam and Enbrel. I started taking the methotrexate by injection because of my stomach issues with lots of nausea and heartburn, etc., but I already had a lot of the symptoms you described before the methotrexate, they just got worse with the oral methotrexate. My doctors advised me to take a proton pump inhibitor such as Protonix, Nexium, Prilosec, Pepcid, twice a day until the symptoms eased and then once a day pretty much forever. I have to say I feel much better, still am careful with some foods but all in all better. After a thorough evaluation with your gastroenterologist, perhaps your rheumy can prescribe injectible methotrexate to help a little as well as what the GI advises.

Injectable mtx has helped me a lot with stomach issues but I also suspect that the Humira I was on made me have some stomach issues - having switched to Cimzia and not changing any of my other meds the fact that my stomach issues have resolved makes me think it was the Humira. I did take Prilosec for a couple weeks when I was on Humira and I felt much better while I was on it so this might help you as well if you doc advises it.

I might also suggest trying chamomile lavender tea for the heartburn - there were points where I could eat half a bottle of tums and it'd do nothing, but some tea would do wonders.

Hopefully the gastroenterologist can help, but it might be a side effect of the Simponi - in which case a check in with your Rheum might be most beneficial.

Even though meloxicam is one of the NSAIDS that is less harsh on the stomach lining it can, as do all NSAIDS, irritate the stomach. It's likely what I'd suspect first.

Injectable mtx gets my vote too for helping avoid nausea.

I'm sure your gastro will be able to help ... and don't forget that PsA can cause inflammation of the GI tract too and lots of us, myself included, had IBS type issues which have improved with proper control of the PsA.

Good luck for your gastro appointment.