Future new career anxiety!

Hi there I am new to this great group, I am 35 and having been living with Psoriatic Arthritis since the age of 15. I have been through barely being able to walk or even pull up a lite weight sheet at night with horrible pain in the past. I went into to remission for awhile but now am on Humira and Arava which are working wonders for me. Anyway I am following my dream of becoming a veterinary tech and been having severe anxiety about my disfigured hands... I know I can do this job but may have to hold things in a different way but my self doubts of what people will think if they notice my deformed fingers is messing with me. I haven't felt this way since I was younger, I thought I was over it. I hate this!!!! An personal advice or anyone working in the field that can share any advice?

I wouldn't even notice, I promise, Mary. And your patients won't mind, being cats and dogs and such. Please don't worry about it!

Thanks!!! It’s nice to hear from PsA people makes me feel better cause no one truly gets what you go through. It’s true no one notices untill I show them. Logically I know my feelings are ridiculous. This is in my own mind I need to work through it. I am trying meditation this week to help me relax. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

As long as you look confident, and you get the job done, no one will even notice your hands. Good luck!

Mary, you are pursuing your dream and not letting PsA get in the way of it, I am so proud of you and you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments. You have a great attitude so don't let this minor deformity bring you down, especially since you know it will not impede on how you do your job. Animals don't give a care of what we look like as long as we just love them and help them, and pet owners feel the same way, I know because I have an awesome dog and a great vet. Beauty comes from within and our fur babies are going to find you gorgeous regardless of what your hands, face, or feet or any other part of your body looks like. Welcome to the group and Best of luck to you!

IF people notice your hands, they will likely figure out that it's arthritis, and say, "But you're too young!"

Good for you that you are starting a new career. By the way, is your pinky swan necked? Or is that just the position your hand is in? If it is, I use ring splints for a number of my joints, and love them! If you're interested, I'll give you the info for the woman who makes them.

One of my jobs is walking dogs. None of the dogs have any complaints. Well, except for lately, but that's not arthritis related.

You are beautiful just the way you are!

Stoney said:

IF people notice your hands, they will likely figure out that it's arthritis, and say, "But you're too young!"

Good for you that you are starting a new career. By the way, is your pinky swan necked? Or is that just the position your hand is in? If it is, I use ring splints for a number of my joints, and love them! If you're interested, I'll give you the info for the woman who makes them.

One of my jobs is walking dogs. None of the dogs have any complaints. Well, except for lately, but that's not arthritis related.

I have never heard of “swan neck” but I think it might be. I would be interested in finding out more about the ring splints. Thank you! This group is awesome!>

Mary said:

Stoney said:

IF people notice your hands, they will likely figure out that it’s arthritis, and say, “But you’re too young!”

Good for you that you are starting a new career. By the way, is your pinky swan necked? Or is that just the position your hand is in? If it is, I use ring splints for a number of my joints, and love them! If you’re interested, I’ll give you the info for the woman who makes them.

One of my jobs is walking dogs. None of the dogs have any complaints. Well, except for lately, but that’s not arthritis related.

Thank you:)

Easternlady said:

Mary, you are pursuing your dream and not letting PsA get in the way of it, I am so proud of you and you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments. You have a great attitude so don’t let this minor deformity bring you down, especially since you know it will not impede on how you do your job. Animals don’t give a care of what we look like as long as we just love them and help them, and pet owners feel the same way, I know because I have an awesome dog and a great vet. Beauty comes from within and our fur babies are going to find you gorgeous regardless of what your hands, face, or feet or any other part of your body looks like. Welcome to the group and Best of luck to you!

Thank you!

Zelda said:

As long as you look confident, and you get the job done, no one will even notice your hands. Good luck!

I have ordered splints from an Etsy seller -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/EDSringsplints?ref=shopsection_shophome_l…

Or at

http://www.edsringsplints.com/index.html

The owner is fantastic, and has worked with me to do custom work. These are also more affordable than the Siris silver ring splints and more comfortable and attractive than oval 8s.

Mary said:

I have never heard of “swan neck” but I think it might be. I would be interested in finding out more about the ring splints. Thank you! This group is awesome!>

Mary said:

Stoney said:

IF people notice your hands, they will likely figure out that it’s arthritis, and say, “But you’re too young!”

Good for you that you are starting a new career. By the way, is your pinky swan necked? Or is that just the position your hand is in? If it is, I use ring splints for a number of my joints, and love them! If you’re interested, I’ll give you the info for the woman who makes them.

One of my jobs is walking dogs. None of the dogs have any complaints. Well, except for lately, but that’s not arthritis related.

Thank you! It means a lot!

sybil said:

What I want from a veterinary tech: someone that knows their job & is good with animals. Not so fussed about hands!

Also, and this might sound like I’m trying too hard but I’m sincere - hands are not something I notice particularly, yet I think myself observant … and I can’t remember anyone else being mean about someone’s hands … and I’ve met some very mean people!

Hi Mary, you will be fine. Having someone who loves animals and cares for my cats is way more important to me (and to the cats) than what their hands look like. And I don't think yours look that bad.

If you've seen the 'Pets' post you'll know I have a boarding cattery, over the last two years many of my customers have seen me in a very sad and sorry state on too many occasions but all they have ever worried about is me feeling well enough to be able to carry on as they don't want to go anywhere else.

Please try not to worry about your hands. Your love and enthusiasm for the job will be what people notice not your fingers.

I just wanted to wish you well on the new job. Sounds like a fun position. Good Luck!