Frustrated!

I’ve had mild skin psoriasis since I was a kid and I’m now in my 30’s. I was diagnosed with PsA in July this yr but have had symptoms since '09. My Knee pulled up sore post a 14km fun run. Despite all investigations & rehab attempts, i haven’t been able to run again due to pain. The PsA then presented in wrist and finger joints. My wrists are so weak I struggle with simple tasks… Opening jars, lifting the kids etc. I had my thumb injected with cortisone with some relief. Ive had the inflammation in my ankle also injected with not much relief. Current meds are Sulfasalazine & ibuprofen as I’m breastfeeding. I’m trying to stay active… Walk, stretch, gentle Pilates but I feel that every time I try to get active a new pain presents itself… Like the one in my hip. Problem is, how to distinguish what’s PsA pain and what’s not! It’s so frustrating! I’m desperate to get active again but nothing seems attainable at this point. I’m at a loss of which direction to head in… What treatment to pursue… My rheumy has indicated I have to climb the treatment tree so he hasn’t yet offered stronger drug options. Any advice will be greatly appreciated? Also I’m curious to know if other people find that when their skin P is flaring, is their PsA also flaring? Many thanks x

My P and PsA flare happened together in august, P first on my lower back the SI joint pain and loads of new pain areas starting as well as the old favourites (I always flare in late summer) have you ever been referred to a physical therapist? I was referred last year and they were so helpful…they weren’t concerned so much about what caused my mobility restictions or pain but how to get me moving better and strengthening core muscles to help my overall fitness and support my joints, they addressed each problem but treated me holistically.

Also, it depends on how big you're nursling is, but Plaquenil is considered fairly safe while breastfeeding. I started on it with an 18 month old.

As to what's PsA pain and what's not. . . It seems to all be related. But I know what you're saying. Is it an injury that needs to be rested, or overuse, or is it PsA that you need to continue moving and doing gentle stretching.

Me too, my skin gets worse in a flare. The flare will pass and I know how hard it can be while you are constantly going through the agony on a daily basis. I use gadgets to help me. I keep a new pair of pliers and a new screwdriver just for the kitchen. I use scissors to cut things up instead of chopping. I have a specially designed can opener for arthritis sufferers. A lever gadget to get ring pull cans open.

In winter I use heat pads and an electric blanket and wear woolen slipper sox. Try ice packs but only for a few minutes at a time.

There are lots of stretching and gentle exercises you can do sitting in a chair. I use a wide piece of rubber that I got from a physio Some arthritis foundations will send you information. Tai Chi is another form of gentle exercise if you are up to that. The best thing for me is to go to a heated swimming pool and to begin with just hanging off a foam noodle and work up from that. Listen to your body by becoming aware of what is too much for you. It is fine line and the line often changes according to how you are. I get amazing relief while I am in the water and for short time afterwards. Long term and swimming seems to be helping me more and more. Stop the exercises that make things worse until you feel better and build up very gradually with repititions.

Phone your Rhuemy's receptionist and leave a message if you can't get another appointment he may get back to you or leave you a message. Go and see your family doctor as he may be able to prescribe something short term for you.

Everytime I get up from my recliner chair I look around the room and pick up what ever needs to be transported to another room. I have piles ready to take with me in whatever direction I go. I use a stool when standing on my feet hurts too much.. I make myself put things away in the kitchen while I wait for the kettle to boil. I come up with differnet tactics to helps me cope with my household chores.

Make sure you eat healthy, 5 veg and 3 fruit a day, cut out or down on sugar and no white sugar, use honey or maple syrup to sweeten., no more than six teaspoons of sugar per day, no fizzy drinks, no saturated or trans fats and no processed foods. Increase the foods with antioxidants as they help to repair and restore cells. Add foods that help with healing or reduce inflammation like tummeric, ginger, garlic, chilli. I take fish oil capsules. Plenty of sunshine and fresh air if you can. Plenty of rest and use relaxation techniques. You may not at first think this makes any difference but long term it does help me.

I find Organic Coconut Oil helps lift of the P flakes and moisturises the skin. It has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties and is the healthiest oil to use in cooking because it make up is different to other oils. Google it and read up on it.

I do hope this in some way helps you. I wish you well

Many thanks for your replies and helpful info. Have a great Christmas!

What’s PsA and what’s not?

It’s possible you need an imflammation holiday!

Just when I think I actually need to head to the physio because my neck (or almost any other joint) has been hurting so long I must’ve finally done something serious to it, it completely self- resolves overnight. Or, it self resolves within 2 hours of a shot of Enbrel. Or, it self-resolves because I got as sick as a dog, and because I’m weaning from steroids, had to take an elevated dose to allow my body to deal with the infection.

Coincidence? Not for me. Generally my body will show a logical pattern Of gradual improvement with gentle exercise to an injury - pretty textbook stuff. The PsA on the other hand, well sometimes you can track a response to something, eg a shot of Enbrel, but generally it’s much less predictable.

In your 30’s, it’s not unreasonable to expect your body to heal pretty consistently, at a moderate to fast rate, and quite well. If its not, then PsA would have to be the first obvious suspect (unless there are other major conditions you haven’t mentioned).

As I gather you are breastfeeding, you’ll have to do some research. A short burst of steroids does wonders to restore perspective on what’s normal, but I can’t imagine that being a great idea when breastfeeding, though I haven’t done the research, so if the Rhuematologist says it is ok, it’s something to consider (DO NOT take them long term - by long term they mean more than 3 weeks).

My understanding of the way that some of the biologics work (not by altering metabolism, but by simply binding some of the immune molecules that cause problems and nuetralising them), would suggest they are something to look at - but of course they are very new and there would be little information on using them whilst breastfeeding, so you and your rhuemat

ologist will need to weigh the risks