Flares?

I hope yal'll ain't gittin' skc o all my axkin. Sorry, a good/bad personality trait of mine is daily attempts at humor. So far I haven't lost my "attempts" at humor. Anyway can someone explain what a flare is? I hurt everyday and all of the time. However, some days are excrusiating. Is that what everyone is referring to when you mention "flares"? Does a flare have to last a couple of days, weeks or just a few hours? Also I am wondering if anyone has a permit so that you can park a car in the handicap stalls in parking lots? My wife is going to ask for one at my/our Rhuemy appt. tomorrow. I would be untruthful if I said that I don't want one. However, if a cop sees a younger (looking) guy like get out of a Buick in the handicap stall he'll probably check me out to see if my permit is legit and not my grand parent's. Alright that's enough questions for today.

Hi BuickBoy,

Sorry to hear that you are having a flare, always good to keep your sense of humour, very important to be able to laugh when you have PsA!

Essentially a flare is an increase in activity of PsA in your body (immune system) and is usually different for everyone with PsA. I've never heard of a flare only lasting a few hours/days, in my experience it is usually a longer term issue which needs intervention (in my case prednisone) to get it under control. My rehumatologist does talk about there being possible 'triggers' to a flare (stress, getting sick, food allergy etc) but as you'll find there is no set cause or explanation for a flare.

And just on the parking permit, I used to have one when walking 20 steps was a struggle and I used to get looks by people wondering what a 'young' person was doing in a handicap spot. I wouldn't worry about it though, if you need it, then I'd get one.

Like you, my pain (in the SI joint is 24/7.) But sometimes it's much much worse than other times. And usually my other joints hurt too, muscles feel like I have the flu, and I'm exhausted, etc. I think your excruciating days are exactly what people are referring to when they say "flares." Sometimes I feel awful for only part of a day. Sometimes it's for days at a time. After I quit my full-time job, I was very sick from pain for a long, long time. So I think there is no time limit on them.

Doesn't matter what your age is re: disabled permit. If you qualify, you legitimately own it. I knew an old guy who was fit as a fiddle. His disabled wife died but he kept the disabled tag, even though he didn't need it. So age can be meaningless. Some people may look or say something but you can point out that it takes a lot to get one. (A lot of illness, that is.)

Permit is a good idea. Usually you get a red one first. That way the cops get used to seeing your buick and you. They day you get your blue one is a shock, no matter how long you have been effected. Don't hesitate to use the electric carts either the embarrasement is easily overcome by the money you save. Whenyou are hurting and want out of the store you are likley to grab all manner of crap. Ionce came home with 24 pack of size,32 tighty whiteys from Costco. I've never wore tighty whiteys and haven't been a size 32 since the 8th grade.

As far as a flare, that could be what you are experiencing now. Most of us go Into periods of remission for weeks or months at a time ( that doesn't mean pain a symptom free, just enough to think we are getting that way) then only to get hit hard for several days to several months.

I don' t want to build false hopes but statistically guys your age get hit hard to the point you want to play Russian Roulette with bullets in ll yhe chambers only to go into a remission that lasts on average 5-7 years.

In any event flare means different things to different folks. Some people take inventory every morning and if they find soething out of order call it a flare. Others like me and likley you don't have a flare until they realize they have benn trying to walk off the morning stiffness for a week, try to kick the dog for wagging his tail too loud and can't move their foot.

One other thing I forgot to mention, younger guys don't drive Buicks. The cop sees you hobble out, he'll assume you are an old guy who has had work done.

LOL Lamb! You are right, you just don't seem to see young guys drive a Buick anymore, only people our age! Even when I was younger and the compact cars were coming on strong, I loved the big Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Chryslers.

Yea well here's a phunny for ya, I sold my Jeep Wrangler and got my Buick. The Buick is a heck of a lot more comfortable for me than the Jeep. Quite a lot warmer as well! Of course you (my new PsA friends) might not be guessing my age properly either. Most people don't anb it's kinda funny.

Just got off of the phone with a company that my Dr.'s office contacted to try to get financial assistance to help with the cost of Humira. I was told that there is no "foundations" available to help because the funds have "dried up". So the Dr.'s office and I will have to work with the manufacturer. I assume that's Abbot Labs. Knowing my luck, I'm screwed. Pardon the text but I'm very frustrated and getting a little down and possibly depressed. In the last 3 years my RSD has come back (with a vengence), I've been diagnosed "hypo-thyroid" (thought I was loosing my mind), my neck (bulging disc) has acted up, numerous sinus infections and upper resp. infect., pneumonia (Jan.), 8 months of horrible back pain with resulted in a few thousand dollars of med. bills, and now this PsA.

I told you so. The hypthyroid is a part of it. I bet you still haven't got a T count have you??????

Yeah its Abbot. They have no fewer tham 4 programs maybe more. You don't know anyone in Mcpherson Kansas do you???? anyway start here:

http://www.humira.com/global/financial-assistance.aspx

Then try a Hospital Social worker and Then a community Health center with a 401 pharmacy.

If that doesn't work how about a different biological

Have your Docs office Check on Enbrel, They have been pretty good latley too. The Encourage Foundation is a bit different.

The lost option is get it through your medical center pharmacy and don't pay your bill. Just before it goes to collection, offer them 25.00/month, they will take it.

Do you have Heated seats in that puppy? I have my wife drive me around with good music the seats on high and clinking ice cubes. Makes one feel almost normal (we don't have an open container law)

Also wheres the appointment report, we want to know.....

I had the same question about flares. As for the handicapped tag and looking young, I’ve got three cousins with Ehlers Donlows (not sure if I spelled that right) who at times can barely walk a dozen steps. They are 19-23 and look 13-15. They have long since stopped worrying about people looking at them funny. Humor-wise, I was raised on monty python, benny hill, and a whole boat-load of puns. You’ve got absolutely nothing to apologize for. Some days it’s laugh, cry, or do something stupid. Once in a while I like to try and do all three at once :wink:

Now that's a new talent you're sharing Bumble! all 3 at once!

Let me see if I can type this with a straight face: I am a man of many talents SK. Nope, laughing so hard I’m making snort noises…

Good! God knows we all need to laugh and snort sometimes, glad I got you there, Bud! :D

I finally know what that means :D HA HA HA

I don't text, so this is a new world for me!

Yeah, I had to learn all the texting and Facebook lingo stuff from a friend of mine who is a decade or so younger. I dont text either, definitely more of a phone call or face to face kind of person. One of my favorite little bits of technology is something called a Google+ hangout. It allows up to ten people to get together in a video chat for free. You only need a computer with a webcam, and an internet connection. An Android based smartphone works too. I get together four times a week with a handful of friends for a strength and conditioning / stretching workout. I’m in Michigan, one is western USA, one southern USA, one Canada, one upper-midwest USA, and one in France. Come to think of it, it would be pretty cool to get some of us together from this site and “hangout” once and a while…

Sounds good, but I don't have all that gear, just a laptop and a cell phone you talk on, of course I have TVs! You kids go ahead, just post a video for us!

Your laptop doesn’t have a built in webcam?

Not sure about flares myself as I seem to be in 1 giant
flare. I am waiting, not so patiently at the moment, for a break
so I can have a flare. I have a handicap sign in my Buick, and I would be lying
if I said I never got looks, glares or the odd rude gesture. One of the
best things I have done though. It has allowed me to participate in family activities
and be able to ‘run’ errands and not pay for days. If I am having
an ok day I do not use it. If I am going somewhere I will be walking for a while and
I am not sure how I will be when leaving I use it. If I don’t need to I fon’t use it.
I have tried to deal with the looks by accepting some people just are not going to get
It but I do not have to justify it to them. The most recent time this guy said that I was
’obviously not disabled so what are you doing. You should be ashamed.’ My six year old replied before
I could even say anything ‘My Mommy is not disabled she only has arthritis !’. Ina very indignant
tone. Well I laughed so hard I did not even say anything and off we went. The handicap
sign has let me have more fun time with my kids so other people can go stuff it. I say let the police check
If they want. If you feel it will help you to have it get it and use it.

Hi again BuickBoy. Don't get too depressed. I got Lyrica from the pharamceutical co. that manufactures it. It was very easy to do, actually. I had my doctor write a note attesting that I wasn't working (I wasn't at the time) and had no income. Low income is another good reason. They seem quite willing to work with you. My application got approved right away and they even Fed X it to my home. And alas, all of a sudden my insurance co. has decided to approve it too. So don't get discouraged yet. If Abbott Labs offers this program, then I think you may well get the drug through them. I certainly hope so!

PS: You guys are more informed on PsA than I, since I have fibro. My flares may be different than yours in length of time, but even the short ones are flares, make no mistake about it.

BuickBoy said:

Yea friends) might not be guessing my age properly either. Most people don't anb it's kinda funny.

Just got off of the phone with a company that my Dr.'s office contacted to try to get financial assistance to help with the cost of Humira. I was told that there is no "foundations" available to help because the funds have "dried up". So the Dr.'s office and I will have to work with the manufacturer. I assume that's Abbot Labs. Knowing my luck, I'm screwed. Pardon the text but I'm very frustrated and getting a little down and possibly depressed. In the last 3 years my RSD has come back (with a vengence), I've been diagnosed "hypo-thyroid" (thought I was loosing my mind), my neck (bulging disc) has acted up, numerous sinus infections and upper resp. infect., pneumonia (Jan.), 8 months of horrible back pain with resulted in a few thousand dollars of med. bills, and now this PsA.

Nope, no web cam, didn't even know what one was when I bought it! Don't know if I want it, best you just look at the laughing photo! LOL!

bumble said:

Your laptop doesn't have a built in webcam?

I never understood what a flare was until the Enbrel started working and I felt human again. Then I had a flare and WOW, did I understand what a flare was. Basically I was in a year-long HUGE flare - which is why I didn't start off with red handicapped tags- my rheumy sent me straight to blue. ;) I had damage that was visibly worse via x-ray in a three-month time period. My rheumy hasn't seen anyone with any sort of arthritis as aggressive as mine.

A sense of humor is a good thing. I'm 37, but have been told I look younger. Even if I look my age, people don't expect me to park in a handicapped space. I've had very few people question me about it - recently someone commented that I must not need to park in a handicapped spot if I wasn't using canes or anything, and I motioned to the shopping cart I was leaning on and said, "Just think of this as a walker with cargo room!" and they totally got it.

nym, you surely have had a rough road for your age. You look much younger than the still tender age of 37. I marvel at all you accomplilsh for yourself and your family.

Someone else discovered your rannygahoots and posted it! You are our celebrity!

Hope you had a wonderful vacation and all went well. So glad you were able to go to the aquarium, I am hoping to get well enough to take the grandsons there and to the zoo. It is a goal. Took the grandson and a granddaughter and one of her friends to the Smithsonian 2 years ago, thought I would end up in the ER by the time we got back, but it was worth the trip and the wonderful memories.

I too use the shopping cart as a walker, crazy isn't it, and with cargo room to boot! Only you would come up with something so cute. Glad you're back, hope you're well.