Fear of Enbrel, Humira, etc

I'm currently taking Celebrex, Arava and Savella for PsA and Fibromyalgia; it has worked well but I've noticed for the past few weeks that my joint pain and muscle fatigue is getting worse.

My Rheumy is thinking of the Enbrel injections but I'm worried of the suppression of my immune system and other possible fatal effects!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Well, I am on Humaria. It sucks cause I have to have blood work every 4 weeks to make sure it is not doing damage. I have been getting sick all the time since Humaria is making my immune system weak. I would rather do a injection once a week that sit with an infusion in my arm for 5 hrs every six seeks.

Although, I would not be able to move around if it was not for Humaria, it has helped. It is a rough double edged sword.

It is a rough decision that I make each time I do that injection. It is weird injecting bio meds into my body.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

Ive been on Enbrel for several years without any side effects. It is great.

Psa is a known greater threat to you than the very slight chance of problems from Enbrel.

Thanks Allan, that’s a good point.

I have been on biologics for roughly 4 years now, and I am suffering through my first cold. Some people notice increased infections, but most do not. Be sure to get your flu shot and pneumonia vaccine, be good about washing your hands and staying away from sick people just like you normally would. Remember that the scary adverse effects happen with a very small population. I think about it like this: without the meds bad things will definitely happen (irreversible joint damage). With the meds there is a very small chance that bad things may happen. I’m willing to take that slight risk for a better life and future. I am more afraid of the side effects and adverse effects from most over the counter drugs or NSAIDs than from the biologics.

I’m the Human Resources Manager and come in contact with many many people on a daily basis; I guess that’s why I’m hesitant but, I’m feeling pretty “beat up” lately…thanks for sharing.

I started on Enbrel 12 years ago, and have been on that and other biologics since then. I'm not dead. In fact I have 2 children I very much want to be here for, which is WHY I take the meds. Fear the disease, not the meds, as we say here.

Thanks Marietta-first time I’ve heard that and it makes sense! I’m so glad for this site and my new friends

I've had the same worries so I understand. I am in the same situation, i know the doc it going to suggest biologics to me next. I'm going to have to make that decision...my advice to the reading and remember, they mention these side effects to inform people but it doesn't mean most people have them. It look like most responses are positive :) We all react differently but that doesn't make it less scary.

Good question by the way...thanks.

Thanks Dini!

I had the same fears before I started Enbrel and was SO paranoid after my first (and second and third!) injection that I was going to get sick. I have five kids (ages 5-15) and often have other people's kids here, so LOTS of germs. LOL I haven't really noticed too much of a difference between before biologics and after as far as illness goes. The statistical risk of side effects and such as compared to the real risks of the damage PsA was doing to my body made it worth it for me to start, and the difference in quality of life now as compared to when I'm not on biologics makes me continue taking them (I'm on Remicade now).

I have been on biologics for about two and a half years. Hardly a sniffle. I couldn't walk or function without the biologic.

I just started on Enbrel last week. Clearly the biologics won't touch the fibromyalgia, but being able to get more restful sleep may be helpful for that. I'm not overly concerned about infection.

I'm 42 years old and I plan on having many many more years. The more damage that I can avoid, the better. If I get any infections, I'll deal with them. But to risk continuing joint damage to avoid a possibility? Not for me.

Thanks Stoney

Enbrel had help me greatly. Before I started taking it I couldn't barely hold my new born baby. I was on it for about 7 years when It just was working as well so I switched to humira. I've been on humira for about 3 years now. and just here recently it doesn't seem to be working as well. or maybe it's the weather changes that are affecting me.

I started Enbrel nearly 3 months ago.....I was afraid of biologics and all meds. Enbrel's the only thing I take. It was the best decision I ever made because I feel 1,000 x better. I have zero SEs and haven't caught anything yet despite being in close contact with 5 grandkids--one that had mono a couple months ago, and all of them have had colds. I think my immune system is as strong as it ever was. If I do catch something, I'll just stop the Enbrel for a dose or more....actually, I'm so spoiled from feeling good from Enbrel that my biggest worry is if I ever have to go off it or it stops working I'll be miserable with PsA symptoms again.

I did start the Enbrel in March and ended up in the emergency room with new onset of high blood pressure! Went in with BP 257 / 210 and almost stroked out! Was then put on Lyrica, which helped the Fibromyalgia but made my hands and feet swell to the point closed shoes wouldn’t fit! The Arava also elevated BP so I stopped all medications May 30th. Started Paleo and Xyngular Global Juice and have seen a HUGE difference. The recent rains have been excruciating, but I fight through. I see my rheumatologist Wednesday and see if Prednisone may bring some relief without biologics or Dmards