Eye doctor - again

Two weeks ago I had my twice yearly visit with the eye doctor (I'm on Plaquenil). In addition to the sad news that my prescription has changed, and I now need lenses for near vision as well, my dry eye has gotten worse. I'm already on Restasis for about 6 months now.

He put punctal plugs in my lower lids. Last week my dry eyes got even more ridiculous, so I went back in today. He put plugs in my upper lids too now, and basically said that the writing is on the wall, and I will almost definitely need to start using steroid drops, long term. It's just a matter of time.

I'm curious if anyone has hit this level, and if your treatment has been the same, or if there are other options that haven't come up. Thanks.

Do they think that the Plaquenil has something to do with it or that it's just a symptom of the PsA?

If you're on plaquenil you have to have field of vision tests twice a year, in order to identify any vision loss due to plaquenil toxicity. This is secondary Sjogren's, and so far treatment doesn't seem to be going too well. The funny thing is that for severe cases of Sjogren's disease, plaquenil is used. Hmm. Doesn't seem to be doing all that much here, as I'm on plaquenil and leflunomide. Just the progress of the disease.

No plugs here, but do use artificial tears; antihistamine drops and steroid drops. The blurred vision is so annoying. Restasis didn't help much here either, so stopped using as it is so expensive.

Doctor: Eyes appear healthy, tests are normal. Prescription not changed much no need for new glasses.

Me: So why do I have so much trouble reading even with my bifocals.

Doctor: Just goes along with everything so go get some readers that work for you and use those.

Me: Really!? So now I have to take my glasses off and use readers?

Doctor: Well they are cheaper than another pair of glasses...

This is a real pain in the a$$ to change my glasses. He told me to buy +225 or +250. I can't even see out of those and had to get +300 and +325.

I sure miss my eye doctor from Indiana...at least he makes sense...

Hope your plugs work for you.

Alma- with the steroid drops, is this long term? Do they seem to help? What are the risks you discussed with your doctor?

Stoney, according to my doc the steroid drops are not usually for long term to be used daily. I did use them daily for about the last year I worked because the more I am on a computer the more inflamed my eyes got. However, now I just use them as needed. Sometimes I have to use them for a couple weeks straight but then I don't need them for a week or so.

Mimi: you are so right that we only know one thing about this disease...

Thanks for the info Alma. I'm already on Restasis and it's not helping too much. This is why I think he is considering steroid drops for long term. A year is pretty long term by the way. It's one of those issues where the risks and benefits need to be balanced out. The immediate danger of damaging my corneas as well as risk of infection, etc, is greater than the risk of steroid drops.

Yes, the risk is greater for damage and infection due to the inflammation we accumulate in the eye. At least that is the way I and my doc feel which is why he continues to prescribe.

Stoney said:

Thanks for the info Alma. I'm already on Restasis and it's not helping too much. This is why I think he is considering steroid drops for long term. A year is pretty long term by the way. It's one of those issues where the risks and benefits need to be balanced out. The immediate danger of damaging my corneas as well as risk of infection, etc, is greater than the risk of steroid drops.