Expression through writing

The Moon was a witness
By R.L. Andrew

Each day for years now, the sun, God and my loved ones have laid witness to your repeated heinous punishment upon me. It started with whispers, quietly, so quietly I could almost ignore you, forget you where even there, but that quickly seemed to change and you have found your voice, now you yell.

You yell so loudly I can barely hear myself think. You have wound your tentacles into each and every part of my life, and when your torture is too great I must hide the damage and pain you inflict upon me from the world.

Your repeated attacks have changed my appearance, from glowing to glowering, I am a shell of my former self. I will still not let you overpower me.

I even medicate you to keep you quiet and calm, but you still rebel, you do not like to be silenced, you will not be abated.

Each night, only God and the Moon are witness to the depths your hatred inflicts upon me. I am often even spared the glorious sanctity and evasion of sleep.

Your insidiousness has spared no part of me. You claim each cell, muscle, joint, organ, tendon, and flesh as your own to twist, rip and disintegrate.

You jeer at my hopes and dreams, laugh at my attempts at a normal life, and then punish me mercilessly for attempting them anyway. I cannot evict you, I have tried to no avail, i have had to learn to adjust, adapt and overcome.

I have studied, researched and tried to understand you in an effort to find peace with you. You do not care how benevolent or kind I am, nor how much I know, it makes no difference to your temper or what fuels it.

I cannot control you, or what you do, but I can control how I feel about you and what i do about it.

You try to drag me down into a deep dark empty hole, alone, scared and hurting. Yet you will not defeat me, my determination and faith keep me fighting towards the light.

I cannot hide your attacks or your beatings anymore and I do not want to. I will take you into the light with me and we can struggle there together. At least in the light I can find comfort and inner peace and rebuild who I am.

Who are you? who is this unseen force that pillages and plunders my very existence without being thwarted. You are Autoimmune disease, and I am who you picked to be your victim. I am your Daniel and you are my lions den.

You may have decided not to be quiet any longer, but so have I. I will show your face to the world and bear no shame. I will find others like me and together we will find a way to destroy you forever.

Thank you for sharing this. It was like I was reading what I have always wanted to express but couldn’t put it in the right words. God has been a constant companion thru it all. You have probably heard the line “God doesn’t give you more than you can handle.” Well in my mid 30s when this set in, it got really bad. I couldn’t walk or get out of a chair without falling. I would truly laugh and say God has more faith in me than I do. He has been there and he doesn’t get upset with me and He is always there to listen. So again thanks for sharing.

Robyn, you are a great writer!