Enbrel + MRSA Exposure. Anyone have experience?

Nym, yes the Enrel was somewhat helpful. Would like to be on it still. I was told the iinitial infection was probably from the Enbrel comp. my immune system as I never had MRSA before taking enbrel. I fought with the MRSA for about a half a year in total. I don't want to go through that again so I will not take biologics. I am glad they work for some. But we are all individuals : ) and for me the risks outway the benefits.

Seenie, not try to scare anyone. I was just responding to the initial posters concerns re: MRSA . The time line was listed above. I took the Enbrel. I got MRSA. I became colonized with it after initial infection. I posted a similiar answer but it "vaporized" If it shows up sorry for the double post. And thank you for your condolances,too.

Cayuse, I thoroughly understand why you feel the way you do! It is too bad MRSA has gotten so out of control. Our nurse daughter who works in a hospital learned that in 5 years almost 100% of the people will have MRSA. And, I recently heard that it's getting more and more difficult to develop antibiotics that can fight some of the new resistant bacteria.

The reason I delayed going on a biologic was my fear of SEs and a weakened immune system. I've enjoyed having a very good immune system all my life, and I don't like being sick. I was so overwhelmed by my PsA symptoms, I just finally had to give in and go on Enbrel. I've had foliculitis on my legs twice and two really bad colds since I've been on Enbrel for 7.5 months. This is bothersome, but I really like how Enbrel takes away my PsA symptoms.. I think we on biologics just need to be especially cautious and more careful than if we weren't on biologics. Would I be p.o.'d at Enbrel if I caught MRSA? Yes, I'd probably question my decision to take it! But, keeping things in perspective, there is most likely more than one culprit when it comes to us catching a germ.

Glad it works for you Grandma J !

Cayuse, I know you weren’t trying to scare anyone, and I can understand why you might feel as you do. But people who come here can panic with little provocation. So that’s when I put my mod hat on and try to bring some balance back into the discussion.

Stress can make you vulnerable to infection as well. It sounds like you and no doubt your Mom were under plenty of stress when when your Dad was so ill. I remember when my Mother was in the throes of a brain surgery and dementia: that’s when my (as yet undiagnosed) PsA really “took off”.

Glad you joined us, Cayuse!

Hi, all:

Thank you for all of your responses! I did not contract MRSA and he has had two more bouts with it since my original post. I am just very careful and wash, wash, wash. I am a big fan of Enbrel. It has helped me so much with my PsA and AS. Although, I have had a sinus infection, an Upper Respiratory Infection and an ear infection this winter, but there have been so many people sick around me that I am not surprised. The reduction in fatigue from PsA alone is worth it. I don't feel like I am dragging my body through wet sand anymore.

Glad to hear your feeling better KJClECK and the Enbrel has worked. I understand the "wet sand" feeling. I always called it walking thru mud.

Seenie, Stress seems to activate everything doesn't it? If we could find a cure for that, life would be great. My grandmother had RA and her's developed during a period of stress. MTX was a wonder drug for her And thank you for the welcome, I'm glad I joined.

Good to hear from you, KJ, and good to hear that you are keeping as healthy as possible, given that it;s winter and everyone you meet seems to have "something".

I agree with you about the fatigue reduction! Even the residual pain is easier to tolerate when I'm not, as you say, dragging my sorry body through wet sand.

Stay well!

Any update?

Back to KJ's comment from page two...that's EXACTLY how I feel at this point! IDK, or I should say, IK how I would have handled some of the back pain and stuff I've had this winter--I wouldn't have!!!! I think it would have put me down for a much, much longer period of time had I not been on Enbrel. I agree, for me it is worth taking just to stop the crushing fatigue and weakness that comes with PsA. I also had two bad colds this winter that I could blame on Enbrel, but most of the people I know had bad colds, too, and they don't take Enbrel. I might have a different perspective if my colds had turned into pneumonia or I caught MRSA. I've never been prone to infections.