Email or direct phone access to your Rheumy doctor

I was wondering how many of you have direct email or phone access to your doctor. When ever I have a question between scheduled visits I have to speak with my doctor's nurse, and then she communicates with the doctor, and calls me back. This works with simple problems, but can get complicated if I have follow up questions and I am usually left feeling I didn't get all the answers I was looking for. My doctor has not shared her email address, and even though I left message with nurse to have dr. call me, the nurse called back. I offered to make appointment to speak directly with my doctor, and was told that was best. Only problem is the appointment is over a month away. Is it okay to ask your rheumy doctor for her email address?

I have a direct email to my doc!! It is awesome. As long as I keep it short..lol

I have the same situation as you do- no direct access. That said, the nurse always gets back to me quickly, and my rheumy leaves sufficient same or next day appt slots open to fit patients in.

I have "My Chart" --online. I can make appointments, message my doc and see my test results. I'm sure the nurse screens the messages, but the doctor gives me advice, too, when it's necessary.

Thank you guys for sharing. I called back again today and left message for nurse at 430. I was tired of waiting for my call back promise from Friday. Anyway, she talked to dr and I got an answer that works for now. I am going to ask my doctor if there is a more direct way through email I can contact her at my next visit since it seems some of your doctors do it. It would okay not to have if only you could get an appointment without waiting over a month. Thanks for listening.

Like Grandma J, I have access through the office online portal. It's been great. I've used it a lot to get prescriptions re-upped, which the nurse takes care of, or to ask my doctor relatively straightforward questions. My rheumy is the only one in a town of 70K. It took four months for an initial visit, and a reschedule takes 6 weeks or so. Especially in that situation it's great to have online access.