Doctor Stories - Tell me your funny doctor stories

I got to miss my prostate exam, as I had copied images of my MRI, ahowing a good postrate.

I perfer women doctors, my Derm has to do a complete skin check every 3 months now… My Rheumy’s have always been women, they are usually over achievers because they had to fight there way through medical school, especially in places like India.

Hi @amielynn

Loved your doctor story. Thanks so much for sharing. I can certainly relate … I have had over 25 years of doctor visits leaving with a prescription for medication that continued to be ineffective and, in some cases, caused my gums to bleed, my hair to fall out and my lips to swell. I guess that is when I decided to do some research myself into my skin condition and related PSA.

Upon reading your story, I have to share my last doctor visit with you. Well, actually my last doctor visit with both my rheumatologist (PSA) and my dermatologist (psoriasis)

I see it has been some time since I was last on this site. And when your story popped up in my email this morning, I knew it was time for me to return to the site to share my story.

My second to last visit to my dermatologist resulted in the discovery I did not qualify for Enbrel… my last chance to rid my body which was then covered 75% in red, scales and plaques. I was desperate. My PSA in my ankles was so severe he had referred me to a Rheumatologist.

That was when I learned by doing research that psoriasis grows in an acidic body… wow… I rushed out to my local hardware store and purchased pH test strips (used for spas and pools) and, sure enough… I was so, so, acidic. I had also learned how sugar affects our body and had just eliminated sugar from my diet. I read about keeping my body pH balanced… I changed what I ate. Researched what foods I could eat and began to choose mostly alkaline foods

Six months later, on my next and last visit to my dermatologist I was confronted by a serious and concerned doctor. I smiled and pulled up my long skirt to expose my perfectly clear skin. I pulled up my sleeves to expose clear arms. I laughed “Look,” I said as I pulled up my top to expose my clear back and front. “It has gone. I have clear skin!”

He replied “I was concerned that I had no more options for you. You have made my day! Keep doing what you are doing. I am so pleased for you.”

On my last appointment with my Rheumy - I actually felt guilty sitting in the waiting room knowing I had literally no symptoms of PsA. My ankles which had been so weak and sore for so long were now strong and healthy. When my name was called I almost skipped into his office.

Again, the reaction was just happiness for me. I arranged another appointment six months later with his nurse. (I was nervous the PsA would come back again). At that appointment the nurse said “We no longer need to see you again. You have no symptoms of PsA.” She also confided in me that she had been on an Alkaline diet and had lost 60 lbs.

Oh. yes… I had lost weight before trying to clear my skin and get rid of PsA… It never worked. But a side effect of eating a balanced pH diet… has resulted in my body returning to the weight it was in my 30s…

I have been PSA and psoriasis clear now for two years… and counting… I am now an avid blogger on the subjects … sharing my story with the over 125 million psoriasis sufferers worldwide.

I recommend to any PSA suffer to check out your pH levels… do research online. Our doctors are wonderful and do what they can… but I only suffered adverse reactions to medication and I thought my future was destined to flakes, sores, weakness and embarrassment.

There is hope out there… Taking control of the disease was my first step… it gave me the inner strength to continue on a path to good health.

I do know that what worked for me may not work for others… but by sharing our individual stories… we can hopefully find the answer to what may work for us.

2 Likes

That’s great that you had such a wonderful improvement.

For the rest of the members though, I do want to point out that this does not fall into the research based category. Often times when people clean up their diets they may have a good response. But that is likely the full cause of why Kiwi_Writer has likely had such clearing.

My first Rheumy said it best, she said, “if you find that a diet helps you, great, just don’t say, I got better because I ate this food”, she explained it that everyone is different, what works for one, won’t work for another.

1 Like

Hi @Jon_sparky I totally agree with your Rheumy - it is not about eating a particular food… and what works for one many not work for another.

I am not the only psoriasis sufferer who had found incredible improvement in our condition by avoiding acidic foods. We are what we eat… is so true. Medication can keep psoriasis and PsA at bay… but learning what foods affect our bodies adversely can have long lasting effects and, lets be honest, going drug free is always the safest option.

Im so pleased to hear that you have got good symptom control through your diet. I’m going to have to disagree with you that going drug free is the safest option.

PsA can be a systemic disease for many, and it can attack lungs, heart, kidneys, liver - pretty much anything critical to living. As the only evidence for slowing or halting the progression of the disease is with DMARDs and biologics, these are really essential for many.

Whilst most will not have these complications, the trick with the organs is damage is generally slow and progressive, so unfortunately you can’t tell until the damage is already done. I can understand that it’s a personal choice for everyone- and for some the medication is not worth it (or even possible), but the safest option for most, if you can tolerate it, is to take DMARDs or biologics, AND address your diet, AND address your activity, AND address the mind-body connection.

Phew, it’s a lot of work, I know, but all the incremental improvements really add up!

1 Like

Hi @Jen75 If medication is effective in treating PsA then, of course, it is a sensible path to take. Unfortunately I had very bad side effects from DMARDs and was left with no alternative but to find an alternative treatment.

My psoriasis was severe for 25 years and I also had no choice in the end but to find a healthy way to clear my skin.

Yes, it is a lot of hard word and it is a combination of mind and body. Thanks for your response.

Hey Kiwi_Writer! Great news that you’re doing so well.

As others have said though, I’d be wary of advocating diet alone for PsA and P. For one thing, I have found psoriasis to be a rather ‘interesting’ condition for me personally. I had about 20 years of inverse psoriasis which wasn’t treated, it wasn’t too bad but it never varied in that time. Then, one day, it went and stayed gone for about 10 years. Plus my current rheumy agrees with me that I may have had PsA at background level (not always so ‘background’) since adolescence. There were definitely some rocky times but mostly I was well. Seems to me that PsA can fluctuate considerably all on its own.

I wish I could think otherwise but it seems very clear to both me and my rheumy that the disease has now made a rather bigger commitment to me shall we say. You mention

well, the day I started taking the drugs was, for me, the day I took control. If I achieved remission and decided with my rheumy to stop or reduce the drugs then I’d see that as taking control too. I do agree we have to be in the driving seat, but that’s nothing to do with the drugs per se, it’s making the best & most informed decision possible about what works for us that constitutes control.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
Wow! I woke up to 6 or 7 new emails on this thread! Seems it got hijacked a little bit.

I agree with Sybil, Jen75, Jon, and Stoney. I tried variations of “what you should eat and or not eat” and had no results, either improvement or worsening symptoms. I think everyone is different in their struggle with P and PsA. What works for some will not work for others. I like Jon’s comment the most:

I have to share my exhusbands recent funny story. He sadly drove himself to the ER 2x due to a serious infection in his big toe while our kids and I were away on a camping trip in the mountains with no cell service. Sadly they had to amputate it but one doctor made the experience on arrival priceless by commenting "You drove yourself? Amazing! I would have called a toe truck!"LOL …

10 Likes

Oh Kiwi Writer, sorry but I have to disagree with this, it isn’t ‘safe’! The disease is potentially very disabling.

Apologies amielynn, 'cos your thread is great & I’m side-tracking again. I won’t do it no more! But oh my, so many here wish they had been able slow the disease down sooner via earlier dx and drugs.

1 Like

Rachael, OMG!!! That is so corny and funny. LOL

Sybil, No worries, I’m not bothered. And I also agree.

I said it was fine, but she made it clear she had no intention of going there.

My own assumption is, of course, that she didn’t think she could examine all of it in ten minutes :wink:

3 Likes

Oh oh oh your poor husband. That sounds like it was awful, but kind of nice that someone said something that could lighten the mood a bit. And it IS very clever and funny!

darinfan…

ROFL

Ok, I don’t even think that’s funny! That makes me mad. That’s not providing care for you, that’s sheer stupidity! You and your insurance company pay for care not for nonsense. Write a letter to the practice manager.

Not my story but… My neighbor was having trouble with dizzy spells. With 3 young children and a hubby that worked long hours it was a huge problem. Couldn’t drive, didn’t feel safe to carry her little one. She made an appointment with her GP who sent her to an ENT.

The ENT came in and did a lot of different testing. At the end of the appointment he told her ‘Ok here’s what you need to do. Get at least 8 hrs of sleep every night, eat well, and try not to get dizzy.’ Can you imagine? Her hubby was sitting right next to her and looked her dead in the eye and said ‘See all you need to do is to try not to get dizzy.’

I guess the doctor heard how stupid it sounded and amended his delivery to say that there was no physical thing in the ear that was causing the dizziness and explained things she could try but really can you imagine he actually thought it was helpful to tell her to try not to get dizzy?

2 Likes

Milo, Wow! Yes “just try not to get dizzy!”

Well yes obviously! If the doctor can’t see what’s wrong with you you must be causing it yourself or making it up!

1 Like