Doctor Appointment

I had an appointment scheduled for 9:00 am this morning. Arrived about 8:30, went back after checking in and did not get finished until 9:45. I've never been to a doctor who spends that much time or shows that much concern. She is wonderful. Of course, I go in with a list of questions, concerns and whatever else. I can' say anything but great things about her. Always makes me feel like I accomplished something when leaving.

We are now adding Maloxacam one a day as I'm noticing increase inflammation, since I weaned off the steroid. She doesn't want to increase MTX as of yet because of the possible side effect.

Has anyone had constipation with MTX? For some reason, things always happen differently in me. I asked her if the MTX was injected if it would alleviate this problem. She says lets try it. Please share your thoughts on that.

Thanks

I would kill for a little constipation with MTX...........

It's not a little constipation. Its like 4 days worth. I'm only on 10 mgs now .5 mls. Hopefully, the injection will help with that.

tntlamb said:

I would kill for a little constipation with MTX...........

Are you drinking enough water?? MTX is a sodium based drug. Normally a woman should be drinking2 litlera a day and man 3 liters. On MTX depending on the doc somewhere around double that not only to save were and tear on your kidneys buit avoid constipation.

Was complaining to my doc I was getting up a coupla timeas a night from the water. In usual sympathetic manner she said great that's just about enough water. AND while you are at it stretch a bit, so you won't be so stiff in the morning

Yes, I am drinking at least 3 liters during the day and at night I keep a water bottle with me and usually fill it up one more time. Technically, about 4 or more. I am constantly going to the bathroom. It usually takes about 4 days before I can have some relief, even with all the water. I also, drink a couple cups of green or Japanese tea.

I went to the GI and asked if it was related. He wasn't really sure but told me to ask the rheumy. Also, told me to take Colace and Miralax starting at 2 days before and 2 days after. Before was not helpful at all but after did not help much either. Back to square one.

Stretching is a good idea, I will have to start that when I wake in the middle of the night. Thanks for that.

So much for the easy stuff..... To answer you first question I have LOTS fewer SE with MTX when injected and honestly it seem to work better

Maybe its not the MTX, maybe its inflammation. You didn't have it with the Predi if I'm reading it right. They are learning there IS a connection with all this Spondylopathy stuff and the bowel:

There is a gluten connection too....

A lot of bowel talk (below) but how interesting about the use of tricyclics (amitriptyline) which we knows helps PsA pain levels to straighten out the bowels..... May be worth a question?????

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121022081236.htm

Never give up hope said:

Yes, I am drinking at least 3 liters during the day and at night I keep a water bottle with me and usually fill it up one more time. Technically, about 4 or more. I am constantly going to the bathroom. It usually takes about 4 days before I can have some relief, even with all the water. I also, drink a couple cups of green or Japanese tea.

I went to the GI and asked if it was related. He wasn't really sure but told me to ask the rheumy. Also, told me to take Colace and Miralax starting at 2 days before and 2 days after. Before was not helpful at all but after did not help much either. Back to square one.

Stretching is a good idea, I will have to start that when I wake in the middle of the night. Thanks for that.

I didn't really read much about constipation in this article. I see more about diarrhea and abdominal pain. I do take dicyclomine for IBS, twice a day. Perhaps, the anti-inflammatory she prescribe as well as the injection. I'm supposed to see my GI on the 20th but I need to reschedule that appointment as my daughter is graduating 8th grade that day. Plus, I want to have an accurate update for him, with the new meds. We will see what happens. I actually, didn't take my mtx last week because of it. I did notice a difference, and didn't have a problem but I didn't tell my doctor that.

IBS goes both ways........... The connection was interesting to me.

Oh don't I know that. I find it very interesting that they all are connected in someway or another. It would be nice if some scientist would figure it out and fix it.

Ok Lamb,

I am stumped on this one. I took my mtx orally this week. The doc gave me miloxacam and I have been fine. Do you think inflammation in my digestive tract could cause constipation? Perhaps that is the connection. I don't know but I'm glad I am finally not constipated.

tntlamb said:

IBS goes both ways........... The connection was interesting to me.

Hi, Yes I had that problem on Mtx among the many, many other side effects.