Depression

I've struggled with depression since I was young as a result of my juvenile PsA, the pain, etc. Usually it is under control with meds, and I've done therapy in the past.

This month is tough for me though. I'm having an extended flare (months now) AND a cold that is getting better but just dragging on and on. I feel empty (as in, fuel tank is empty!) for dealing with things.

What sorts of things help you temporarily deal with depression?

I'm sorry about that. I have had some issues with depression, but mostly situational. If you are already on meds for the depression, would it make sense to add talk to it to get you through the worst of this episode?

I am most likely to struggle at this time of year. Probably the most important things that I do are to get fresh air every day and to exercise most days. Even if it's just a slow walk, it can be really helpful. I hope things start to look up soon for you.

When I am down I will pop in a "chick flick", read a book or find something on television to get my mind off what ever is bothering me. There are times I just get in the car and drive to the local park and sit in the car or on a bench and take in the scenery. If I cannot drive due to hands hurting, I will just walk outside into my back yard and sit.

I too hope things look up soon.

Its really hard when you get to that’s ‘empty tank’ stage. Especially when you can feel you’re on you way down there…one thing I love to do is go to see the horses at a nearby stable, they’re cheeky and nosy and know I have treats, they cheer me.
Mamma Mia is my favourite film when I’m down, the sunny beaches, Abba songs…I love to watch it snuggled on the sofa with the cats
I once spent 6 weeks watching re runs of ‘Everybody loves Raymond’, ‘King of Queens’, ‘Two and a half men’, and ‘Fraisier’ lol before I was ready to face the world again after a particularly bad time.
Hope you feel better soon X

I am so sorry you are dealing with this Marietta. This is a tough time of year for a lot of people. The above suggestions by Louise, Stoney and Rebel Mom are some of my favorites that I use when my tank is empty. I also drive to a green house and take in all the growing plants. I journal as sometimes I feel lighter if I write some of my thoughts down. I also get some short term therapy as I do not like to burden my friends but some times need to talk it through with some one. I am sending you hugs and prayers that you are feeling lighter soon.

I have chronic depression as well as seasonal affective disorder.

Things that help me:

- Vitamin D, both orally (I LOVE Sunny Gummies!) and from the sun

- getting out of the house, preferably in the sunshine

- watching uplifting videos (Extreme Makeover Home Edition, godvine.com, welcomehome blog, etc.)

- doing volunteer work

- praying

- bitching and moaning here on Living with PsA

I know im new here and to PSA but I know where your coming from. I've been in a constant state of flair since day one. My doctor put me on amitriptyline which helps with the depression. I'm hurting so bad that I barely leave the house anymore. the only times I feel better is when I go to a family get together. Being around people that know what your going through helps. Music is another distraction. Ill go for a ride with the radio up and forget about the pain for a few hours. The thing with us is that it is unrelenting torture, both physically and mentally. Just try to find a distraction, anything to give your mind a break from the negativity. Those little distractions can go a long way in helping you to cope.

Oh how could I forget music! I am so glad Marcmann reminded me! I found a new group, Mumford and Sons. I bought their new CD Babel. I t is wonderful. I put it on an MP3 player so I can listen any time and play the CD in the car when I go to swim. It is some sort of blend of folk and rock. Spiritual and earthy/celtic. Really marvelous.

Excellent music choice! But if I remember right, it had a few too many curses in it for shared listening. Better without my kids in the car.

I go to church ...... a pretty great one. I listen to the encouraging words of the various pastors and it kind of puts things into perspective for me. Prozac, also helps. HA. I've been taking it for a few years now. Lauren has just started on it and I already see a difference in her outlook on life and countenance.

I understand about how chronic pain feeds depression and hope you find something that lifts your spirits.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. Tomorrow I'm meeting with my autoimmune disease group through Meetup.com and that will help. For one, I'll get out of the house and two, I'll get to see people in person who get it. I've missed the last 3 due to sickness and flares.

I talked with my husband last night and part of my depression is our health insurance is changing in January and it is the equivalent of my husband getting a pay cut. We're having a bigger deductible and copays. I worry about being a burden and my meds costing so much. Financially we are just fine, even with the increased expenses. But it's tough to be the one who is going to use up the deductible in the first 2 months (my husband is healthy as a horse).

Babel does have some bad words! I yell those at the top of my lungs on really bad days with my windows rolled up! One of the smaller joys of driving without children these days! (see I told you my untrained pug is my punishment for all my naughtiness!)

I love Momma Mia!!! I watch it at least once a week. Another good one is the with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. Anything with Merryl Streep is fabulous!!!! Louise Hoy said:
Its really hard when you get to that's 'empty tank' stage. Especially when you can feel you're on you way down there..........one thing I love to do is go to see the horses at a nearby stable, they're cheeky and nosy and know I have treats, they cheer me.
Mamma Mia is my favourite film when I'm down, the sunny beaches, Abba songs...........I love to watch it snuggled on the sofa with the cats
I once spent 6 weeks watching re runs of 'Everybody loves Raymond', 'King of Queens', 'Two and a half men', and 'Fraisier' lol before I was ready to face the world again after a particularly bad time.
Hope you feel better soon X

I just watched The Devil Wears Prada last month and was reminded of the awesomeness that is Meryl Streep.

Rebel mom said:

I love Momma Mia!!! I watch it at least once a week. Another good one is the with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. Anything with Merryl Streep is fabulous!!!! Louise Hoy said:

Michael…my 20 year old son loves Mumford and Sons! Along with heavy metal bands! We have a wide range of music tastes, from classical to ‘Bullet for my Valentine’ I think music is so much a part of my life I don’t think of it as something to cheer me, its just as necessary to me as food. That’s one thing that saddens me…I can’t play my sax anymore, its too heavy and my hands don’t work well enough to play anymore :frowning: but both my sons play guitar and I love to hear them play and sing…that brings me peace.

I think that is wonderful. Music is important. I have heard Mumford and Sons while a folk group does play accouistcal instruments in a hard rock way. I don't know enough about music to know that but I do know I love them. They have brought me a lot of joy in this very cold and dark November (now December). Sax! It fits! I can just see you playing it! What fun, I should have known you would play the sax it is a wonderful instrument. I will imagine you able to play it...,,

:slight_smile: I dream sometimes I’m playing and I wake up happy so I do still play in a way lol

Activity of course is good but can I suggest looking at a couple of things medically???

Your platelet count for one many of the OTC drugs NSAIDS, biologics, DMARDs we take can CAUSE depression because they lower your platelet count. Uncontrolled pain does the same. And our old friend... Predi big time suppreses the formation of triptolene (the bodies anti depressent. PsA also goes after the spleen from time to time.

They type of medication you take for depression makes a difference. the docs love the designer ones but the fact is us folks get far MORE benefit from the tricyclics. The analgesic effect is well known (and if you have less pain, then, well.....)

I posted this in another thread but here it is again:

http://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/patient-corner/disease-management/m...

The simple fact is the success of treating depression withPsA folks is related to the success at treating the PAIN.

Activity helps control pain too.....

Oh and seriously PsA folks way too often quit or reduce the amount of sex they have... BAD idea. find a way.

I can definitely vouch for your last comment lamb, I have conducted my own extensive research and it does work!

This is what I recommend for depression.

Write a list of at least 20 things you enjoy doing (no spending sprees, or alcohol or anything destructive) Do two or three per day. E.g. Phone a friend, coffee with a friend, bubble bath or favourite piece of music. Pamper yourself and be kind and gentle to yourself.

This list must include a physical activity every day in the fresh air and hopefully in the sunshine. Start with small a walk to begin with and get outside your home. Exercise gets the endorphins working the bodies natural way to feel good. Even smiling helps. So smile every time you see another person. The endorphins will help your lower your seratonine level in your brain which is what happens to your body when you are depressed..

Eat healthy and regular meals. Go to bed and rise at a regular times. Use relaxation techniques or meditation.

Make an effort to look after personal grooming even if you don't go out. Look good helps you feel good. Force yourself even when you don't have any energy.

Do affirmations about what is good about you and how you can cope. Refer to a previous time in your life and how you coped or overcame a difficult time and use that to help.

Get stickers something you like maybe a dolphin or a butterfly but a red dot will do and put them around the house on mirrors the fridge on cupboards and doors all at eye level from standing and sitting and every time you see your sticker tell yourself your special message. Fake it until you make it.

Go see your doctor! Medication will help increase your seratonin level. See a Counsellor/Therapist for depression. A good Counsellor will help you address the reasons for your depression and help you find the strength to manage and get over the depression.

I wish you well