Changed to MTX.... woe is me today

Saw my Rheumy yesterday and he was surprised by the amount of swelling in my fingers and ankle. Ordered MRI of both. He gave 17.5 mg of MTX yesterday and will back down to 5 (2.5 mg) pills once a week for 3 weeks and see me again. I went in a week ago for more bloodwork and my RA factor has increased from 15.0 to 25. He is still concerned that it may be RA because of family history, but the tendon involvement and asymmetry makes it seem more like PsA. I am very nauseous today and haven't eaten anything except nibble since yesterday. They changed my NSAID to Diflunisal and gave me folic acid. Any ideas on what is making so nauseous. I bits that I ate, was with the Diflunisal. anybody experience it causing drossiness? Thanks!

It might be the extra dose of Mtx that's making you nauseous in which case the answer usually seems to be going for the injections instead of pills. But if you were okay on 12.5mg and are soon to go back to that, perhaps there's not much point. I don't know anything about Diflunisal I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear about the swelling, it's miserable when things get worse despite starting treatment. But where you're at, with a certain amount of 'wait and see' going on, it could be a case of getting worse before getting better. Is your rheumy going to see you again in 3 or 4 weeks? If so, it sounds as if he's keeping a pretty close eye on you, which bodes well for progressing treatment. More swelling, feeling yuk, uncertainty .... no wonder you feel miserable. But with a good rheumy on the case, if that is the case, there could be better times ahead in the not too distant future.