Calf pain- blood clots?

Do any of you get calf cramping and pain in the upper center of the calf? Is that related to PsA? I figure it could also be related to my small fiber neuropathy. Also having tendinitis pain with the peroneus longus muscles on the side of the legs, this is connected to that area on the foot that was bothering me, and put me in a boot! (Falling apart)
My physical therapist friend suggested I get checked out for blood clots, as the pain is pretty persistent in the calf muscles. A doctor I used to go to did put me on heparin injection at one point, due to a high Ddimer and fibrinogen count in my blood, the heparin helped clean out the fibrinogen. Doctors were later critical of this doctors treatment, as I did not have a blood clot yet, he was doing a preemptive measure, I thought made a lot of sense. Much better to wait for a stroke or heart attack before getting treatment, with the current thinking.
So asked my doctor for a script for Ddimer, if that is high maybe get US imaging of the calf. Could just be the PsA acting up, I have had the same pain in the past, but was suspect of it being bloodclots then too, just never got it checked out. I am a little wiser in my older age. :mask:

So probably inflammation in the muscles/tendons, pain, though the calfs are not tense but relaxed, for years they were always tensed, it was only after biologics that they started to totally relax, the antimalarial drug helped some, that was the first clue…

1 Like

I also had these-they are terrible. I panic, forget which way to flex my foot, my husband will turn it the correct way. However, After I added one Potassium (99mg) in addition to my Calcium /Magnesium supplement -
(At bedtime) -they stopped. If I forget -I will get them. I also have a banana before bed with my night pills.
Good luck.

3 Likes

I have horrible cramping. Of course the doctor blames everything on my weight, not enough water and exercise. UGH…right. Like you I was sent for ultrasounds to rule out blood clots, Nope!

Like Pinkcleome, I added potassium and calcium/Magnesium. It does help.

2 Likes

I’ve had *%$^ddy awful cramps on & off since 2010. Not so bad in recent months. Worst ever ones corresponded with the lead-up to / onset of PsA but I’ve also had gruesome cramp when the disease has been very well-controlled.

I’m not overweight, I drink loads of water and I exercise most days. And I have a banana for breakfast every day without fail.

A very wise rheumy, who was not one to brush things off, told me that it’s just something that inflammatory arthritis patients seem to get for reasons unknown.

3 Likes

I have really bad night cramps in the legs at times. Mostly in the calf muscles. I was drinking Tonic water for a while which works minimally due to the Quinine content. After discussion with my GP he prescribed Quinine tablets. Now when I have a problem with cramps I simply pop half a tablet and the cramps are almost instantly gone. Hope this helps.
Cheers

2 Likes

Obviously, if you’re concerned about clots and have the means to pay for the labs and sono… go for it! You have an iffy history with the previously high D-dimer and heparin rx, so I don’t think it would hurt to follow up. If all shows up normal, then this is likely part of the very common leg and foot cramping that can come with PsA or the various other weird aches we get. At the very least you’ll have peace of mind. At a certain age, we are a lot less likely to brush off the little things and that is okay.

2 Likes

Now I think it has migrated behind my knee on the right side, but I don’t want to go near the hospital!
I am going to call my Hematologist to see about getting a D Dimer blood test and or ultrasound imaging. I have a early blood cancer that causes blood clots, so he will want to check it out. I want to avoid any people with COVID19…

1 Like

So I wonder what the odds would be to have blood clots in both legs? Last week, I had terrible pain behind both my knees, still feel it just above the knee, I don’t think that is a excuse for not checking it out, my doctor thought it would be to much of a coincidence.

2 Likes

So, I called my Hematologist this morning, he set up a ultrasound imaging for me, I go in tomorrow morning, so I will get some idea what is going on, if anything with the clotting.

He is a real nice caring doctor. He wanted to just start me on blood thinners, but I thought it would be better to get the imaging, Don’t want that stuff unless I have too.
Trying to develop a new look to encourage social distancing, how about this?
betta tank light

4 Likes

Definitely more extreme than I’m going. I made face masks for my family, allowing them to choose from a selection of fabrics.

My daughter chose the same fabric that I did, then was upset that we were twinning before.

1 Like

Jon, you do this so often, that is make me splutter my coffee over my laptop first thing. Excellent new look, frankly scary and I think after, you could have a new career in special effects in a Hollywood studio. Perfect. So hope the imaging appt goes OK.

2 Likes

It encourages me.

2 Likes

This guy working the cash register dressed up like a hold up robber, he said he gets that a lot! He was wearing a bandana and black beanie, with leather gloves and dark glasses…

1 Like

Went and got US imaged, will find out Friday. I doubt it is clots, but probably good to have it checked I guess. The new topic now is who’s mask is the best, I was sporting a N99 mask that day, save those for office visits, much better the the inferior N95! (You have to say that with a condescending narcissistic tone…) :sweat_smile:

best floating fish food

Today’s fashion statement is the flashy pink 3M 2091 HEPA Mask with a original Biddy Murphy Herringbone cap and leather vest, I think a very dashing combination!

1 Like

Slightly less scary than the previous one. It’s the pink bits that help. :joy:

2 Likes

Keep up the good work Jon, the fashion industry is depending on you.

2 Likes

hello everyone, fancy an article in Italy has just advertised that heparine if that is what it s called in English, the substance injected to prevent thrombosis in case of long inactivity in bed, has been found in China to treat cvirus, linking virus molecules as it liquefies circulating blood. not bad hey?

1 Like

That’s interesting isn’t it?

1 Like

Heparin is naturally made in the body, and is part of the thrombin anti-thrombin process that uses fibrin, when the body is injured the blood coagulates the blood to stop bleeding, then the heparin devolves the sticky stuff called fibrinogen in the blood, this gunk can also build up in the body if the process goes haywire with certain diseases like autoimmune disease, looking like spiderwebs in your muscles! Heparin will dissolve this stuff like cotton candy in water.
Years ago I was given it to clean out the high level of fibrinogen, this helped to increase the blood flow in the muscles after years of muscle tension from PsA. A lot of doctors frown on this, as they don’t condone using heparin unless you are ready to die from a blood clot or going to have a stroke, why do it before you get a blood clot and damage your body, absurd! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So good news, no blood clots! Probably just PsA or SFN doing weird things to my legs. That is the problem with these diseases, they can mimic heart attacks and other emergancy conditions, if we become complacent, body always “crying wolf” we could miss a important viral sign of some serious condition…
I did not want to add blood thinners, especially with all the work I do with sharp tools!

3 Likes