But You Don't look sick

Hello everyone, I wanted to share this little story that actually has helped a few friends and family members understand alittle better how I feel!

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

I hope this helps everyone alittle bit with some friends or family members. I'm not sure if they really understand or just decide to pretend.

Here's to hoping everyone has a wonderful New Year!

Thank you for posting The Spoon Theory…some of my friends and I ‘talk in spoons’ and I gave it to my boss several months ago to see if it helped him understand lol.
Wishing you a happy 2013

Your welcome! I just found it a couple of weeks ago and just love it!

Happy 2013 to you!

Having read this a few months ago, my husband and I now talk in spoons. It's a great way to describe my fatigue levels. i also sent it to my best friend to describe to her what it is like and she cried! That wasn't the intention but at least she has a better understanding of what it is like for me.

The Spoon Theory should be shared once a quarter so the all the newbies have the opportunity to read it!

A friend who is also disabled gave me a lovely small decorative spoon. Now I always have a spoon left for ME! :)

I LOVE the Spoon Theory and share it often. I'm working on spoon wind chimes for a friend ... and one of the best pieces of mail I've ever received was a card from friends containing spoons that she cut out of magazines and such. :)

Wow, I'd never read it before. It's brilliant and it made me tear up.

Great story… thanks for sharing it.

Hoping for many serving spoons for everyone in 2013!

Great way to explain! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you so much, that's rather helpful - I have little no outward signs of rheumatoid arthritis - yet it's very severe - many mornings I hobble around and most evenings I fall into bed achy and exhausted. Even my partner - who is supportive most of the time - forgets. At times when I have a good day, he still thinks I'm getting 'better' :)

Here's something funny related to spoon theory that was posted on another board:

Are you familiar with the spoon theory? (http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/)
So we just moved. Apparently there was some sort of sacrifice to the guardian of moves that involved our spoons because only 6 spoons made the move. We are a family of 7, so it is not working out real well. So for the lasts week, every time a box got empty I would ask if there were spoons in that box. So the other day I decided to bite the bullet and go buy more spoons. In the next town over we have Costco business that caters to businesses. They have a great restaurant supply section with really nice silverware for little money. Unknown to me the entire week when I was speaking of needing more spoons my husband thought I was speaking metaphorically. So when he called me on my cell phone as I was on my way to buy more spoons it was a hilarious conversations. He asked where I was going and I said to buy more spoons. He replied something to the effect, oh so all it takes is money and the spoons suddenly appear and all is well? Me having no idea that we were talking about anything except spoons that one eats with replied, um why yes. So then he continued on his line of questioning. I was pretty sure at this point he was the one with the concussion. He was sure that I needed another ct scan. Finally he goes really, where are you really going? I yelled at him TO BUY SPOONS YOU KNOW SO YOU CAN EAT YOUR DAMN CEREAL!

Read more:http://psoriasisnetwork.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=chitchat&action=display&thread=904#ixzz2GmlYTy00

Yeah, it is great, and a good way of explaing how we run out of oomph. It is not always convenient or appropriate to have to hand out copies.

I have had to respond to "Your looking well" or "you don't look sick" many times I feel like I have a well rehearsed list of one liners.

I often say I wish I felt as good as I look on the outside. .

I wonder how good I would look if I didn't have such a debilitating disease inside of me.

Looking sick is caused by a virus or infection. I don't have that.

If I am being a smart arse which I can be I will say, you can't judge a book by its cover.

bella said:

Yeah, it is great, and a good way of explaing how we run out of oomph. It is not always convenient or appropriate to have to hand out copies.

I have had to respond to "Your looking well" or "you don't look sick" many times I feel like I have a well rehearsed list of one liners.

I often say I wish I felt as good as I look on the outside. .

I wonder how good I would look if I didn't have such a debilitating disease inside of me.

Looking sick is caused by a virus or infection. I don't have that.

If I am being a smart arse which I can be I will say, you can't judge a book by its cover.

I like your answers! I always just say I've had worse days. Being a smart arse myself, I really like the last one!

Another response to "you don't look sick" could be, "well thank God for that, and I do everyday." Great topic for discussion, guys. ; )

I have people many times say oh you look so good. I just smile and say thank. If I go into a long drawn out statement I will turn them off. They can see by the way I walk, get out of a chair, how I move my arms, etc that I am in discomfort.
With my immediate family I am more honest to remind them that there is no cure. That I am not going to be the normal mom like everyone has. I have an incurable disease that is going to take me away from you sooner than I would like.

Thanks for sharing that link! I can totally relate but for reasons not related to PsA. Not yet anyway. My damage isn't yet bothersome for the most part. But I can see how my mother has to do things or not do things due to her rheumatoid. This opened my eyes.

Happy New Year!

With the busy holidays and birthdays of the last couple weeks this is the first oppurtunity I have had to visit. The Spoon Theory actually brought a tear to my eye. I have long search for away to explain to my loved ones the impact the having an illness has on me and this is a wonderful way to help them understand. Thank you for sharing this post.