Burning heels/Venting

I was wondering if anyone else is having pain in their heels. Mine started burning a few days ago. When I wake up if they are touching the bed it hurts so bad. I don't know if this is from the PsA or something else.

I am on Remicade, 40mgs of Predisone (since Oct it has varied between 60mg and 40 mg, everytime my doctor tries to lower it, I end up in the ER swollen and unable to move) and I take 8 methotrexate a week, which he is thinking about highering yet again. We just can't seem to get it under control. I have only been on the Remicade since the end of Oct. and he said it will take about 6 months to find out if it will work. He moved my last treatment up 2 weeks and I got it yesterday. I was hoping to wake up feeling ok, wrong! Here I lay in bed, pain shooting through my hands, arms, knees and heels. I use to pray for the pain to be gone forever, now I would just like an hour without pain.

I try to stay positive, but somedays it is just so hard!

I am new to this, diagnosed in December but the heel pain was one of my major complaints. It hurt so bad I couldnt let the backs of my heels touch the bed or even have a sheet on them. They burned. I have not started my treatment yet but the heel pain has eased off on its own. I assume it was part of a flare up? I hope the same happens for you.......

I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with this aweful disease. I was dignosed in 2006 at that time I was having a little joint flare ups, but it was mostly psoriasis. I was on Enbrel for 4 1/2 years and that quite working and since September I have been dealing with a constant flare up of the joints since then, but the heels just started. I am hoping after yesterdays treatment and todays dose of 8 metho, some of the pain goes away. What treatment are you going to be on? I don't feel the Remicade is working, but it has only been 2 1/2 months....seems like years!

Hi Tammy Sue,

My PsA started with my feet, and my heels due hurt, usually not to the touch though. They hurt when I walk and even when I'm sitting. I started Humira 3 weeks ago.

This is one of the many hard realities of PsA - having to wait for treatment to work !! In other conditions totally unrelated to PsA there are lots of meds. that take weeks or months to reach level of seeing or feeling a diffence. Hang in there and see if there is some temporary med. you can take for the pain and then not use it once the Remicade works.

Hope you feel better :-(

Sounds to me like you are having a bad flare up. It was my feet that led to the PsA diagnosis. I have had low back problems for years but the I could hardly walk. Did therapy and the boot which helped some. I am on Mtx but my rheumy does not want me on Pred for some reason. Do you take any pain meds? I could not walk or work without getting relief from my pain meds.

Hi

I have tremendous pain in my feet. This seems to be where my psoriasis started and it has always been the source of pain I experience when I have a flair. My feet swell up, my heels hurt and then the top of my feet start hurting, they are just extremely painful to walk on. My Rheumatologist says it says it is due to my psoriasis arthritis so I know there's really not much I can do about it. When it gets too bad I soak in a hot tub and for a while it alleviates some of the severe pain.

Have doc check uric acid. I just found out I have Gout in addition to PsA. Knees are getting better from Remacade but feet had separate issue. Just started Allopurinal for long term uric acid reduction. Taking colchicine for gout flare ups in my feet. It is helping. Best wishes Tammy Sue. Hoping your pain is not to bad tomorrow.

Hi all,

I use a reflex roller for my feet and it helps immensely - not sure why. I have one at home and one at work. However, if you're feet/heel hurts so much to the touch, I don't know that it would help. Here's the link to the item at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/US-Jaclean-Reflex-Roller-Massager/dp/B003DQUNZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358278274&sr=8-2&keywords=reflex+roller

Thank you everyone! It is so nice to talk with people that understand! I m so disgusted with my doctor and right now can not do anything about it because all doctors want at least $200 for the first appointment. Can't work, no income so that's not an option. I am even having trouble getting him to submit my paperwork to Disability. They have send 2 noticifications and he has until Thursday or they will decide without it. I talked to them everyother day, was told it would be today....we will see. Been in an out of the ER for pain and they told me to have him refer me to pain mangement.

Sorry just venting.....very bad day here, :)...tomorrow is another day...

Tammy Sue,

Have you tried contacting the arthritis foundation or the Psoriasis Foundation: http://www.psoriasis.org/psoriatic-arthritis.

Maybe they can help you get treatment and assistance.

Thank you, I will! I will check into them. I most definately want to fire my doctor I have now. Thank goodness I get my Remicade through assistance at the hospital at least.

Tammy Sue,

I wish you the best and check in and lets us know how you are doing.

warmly,

Frances

I go back to the Dr later this month- He wants to start me on methotrexate after that visit. I am relieved at this point to have a diagnosis as I have been in pain for going on 13 years now without any answers! Every dr I saw just treated each particular symptom and since nothing showed in my blood work I would be dismissed.
Very frustrating!!
Tammy Sue said:

I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with this aweful disease. I was dignosed in 2006 at that time I was having a little joint flare ups, but it was mostly psoriasis. I was on Enbrel for 4 1/2 years and that quite working and since September I have been dealing with a constant flare up of the joints since then, but the heels just started. I am hoping after yesterdays treatment and todays dose of 8 metho, some of the pain goes away. What treatment are you going to be on? I don't feel the Remicade is working, but it has only been 2 1/2 months....seems like years!

Thank you Frances, I will let you know. i found a place today that will help with my depression without using my roommates income. And by roommate I mean the girl that is providing me a roof over my head free of charge and helps feed me and everywhere I go for help they want to use her income and that is not fair, we are not married or even related. I'm just lucky to have a "Beaches" friend as I call her.

Yes, Tammy Sue, I too have burning in heels, not to mention all 10 toes that are going numb, but tingling! This is such a terrible disease, not much study is being done on PA. We have no hope, as far as I am concerned. Not to be negative, just the God awful truth. I am one of those that just is being ignored by my Rhemy, because I don't want to go on "chemo", their are other things she could try, but I am not and have never been yet on anything, 5 years diagnosed. I am just very depressed, I am 67 and the damage to my joints are such, I need 2 knee replacements, and now 2 shoulder roatary cup. I pray never to wake up sometimes, to much, I live alone and it is getting very hard to do everything I need to do. Winters are so awful, I stayed in bed yesterday all day, raining and cold, just gets to my bones. Thanks for letting me vent, I am praying for you, Tammy Sue and all other PA members. God Bless

I'm with journey. Both of my Achilles tendons swell tremendously, and I cannot even let them touch the bed at night or the couch in the evenings. Pain radiates from both of them, usually more one side than the other, though, and it courses up and down my legs. I haven't found much that helps. I'm taking max dose of Methotrexate and my doctor just prescribed Amitryptaline to help me sleep because the pain is horrid at night. You're not alone. I hope you find comfort...

I have to say, I got very little relief from MTX, and was having bad tendon pain, particularly with my achilles. I switched meds to leflunomide, which is another drug in that class, and had a much better result. Nothing is perfect. . . I had to have my dose lowered in order to lower side effects, but it is still working better than the MTX did. Maybe increasing your dose isn't the answer?

Do you have any pain medications? I have a good friend with RA she is often given pain relief meds but what I have read about PsA the general pain medications are NSAIDS...As for me I take a Norco if I can't stand it...sometimes you just need the pain to stop for awhile...hope you feel better soon.

My doctor will only do one month at a time, which is fine if he wouldn't take a week to get me another script. I am so fed-up with my doctor, but can't change because of no money or insurance. So I am stuck until my disability goes through, which hopefully it does. I can barely make it to the kitchen from the pain on my feet. He just don't seem to care. I heard from everyone (other docs and hospital) how good he is, well I'm not feeling it! I had to call him everyday for 2 weeks because he never submitted my paperwork to SS. They notified me to call him to get him to do it and give them a date, which is just crazy, he will not let his nurses do anything, all they do is answer the phone, take messages then call you back with his answer, sometimes even just for an appointment and then you can never get through because they have to tie up the lines to call everyone back.

Well thanks for letting me vent, I am so tired and cranky because I can't sleep much more than 2 hours due to the pain. Hopefully they will call today and tell me he called in a script although last time he made me go there to pick it up, so I had to find a ride there and then to Kroger to get it filled.

HoneyBunny said:

Do you have any pain medications? I have a good friend with RA she is often given pain relief meds but what I have read about PsA the general pain medications are NSAIDS...As for me I take a Norco if I can't stand it...sometimes you just need the pain to stop for awhile...hope you feel better soon.