Biologics at last!

After trying Leflunomide in addition to MTX for a few months without much success (I liked it more than it liked me - I could only tolerate it every other day due to raised ALT and ALP) my rheumy decided I was eligible for biologics. The irony was I thought I was better but he disagreed… I had swapped painful knees for painful elbows, which I thought was a reasonably good deal!
I was packed off with some helpful information leaflets from Arthritis Research UK and told I could choose between Enbrel, Humira and Simponi. Hmmm.
I had waited what seemed like ages for this day, and when it came, I felt strangely frustrated. The agony of choice. Why should I decide, surely that’s what experts are for?
I read clinical trials papers, case studies, many many posts on this site and concluded that for me, there really was very little difference as there was no way of knowing which one I might respond to. Knowing I couldn’t delay for ever, I chose Enbrel and just started to hope it would really change my life.
I’ve just had my 2nd injection today. I don’t find the process painful and so far I’ve not had any injection site reaction at all. Two days after my first dose I was able to stop taking Meloxicam, which had been the one drug which really enabled me to function. I had no real stiffness at all.
The day before the next dose was due I felt the effect was wearing off somewhat. I’ve read this happens with some people but it’s early days yet. I’m closely monitoring my elbows, thumb and knuckle for signs of improvement. I know there is no miracle cure, and it may not work for ever, but for the moment I’m a happy camper…

Happy dance, Helen! When I saw you were online, I wondered how things had gone for you with leflunomide. So good to hear that your rheumie took the bull by the horns and got you on a biologic. That takes some commitment and conviction in the UK!

I found being given that choice a bit perplexing too. I chose Enbrel because it was the first biologic for PsA, and the one with the longest track record. It sounds like you are off to a good start with it: not everyone gets a response as quickly as you did. I did not get a site reaction for a few weeks, and then it started. But then it went away again eventually. Don’t panic if it happens, but do let the nurse know.
I’m really glad to hear that you are moving on towards feeling better!

I'll second (third?) you & Seenie on the absurdity of presenting patients with a Biologics menu. But more importantly this is great news!

I doubt we have the same rheumy but mine would have taken the initiative too I think ... none of this cost-cutting by the back door stuff. And I think not having to beg for the most appropriate treatment inspires our confidence in doctors.

I started Humira just over a year ago. These days my joints are in excellent shape, no pain worth mentioning, no swelling, no stiffness and overall I'd say that fatigue has been knocked on the head as well.

I hope you continue to get a fantastic result. Thanks for posting - your experience will be of interest to many I'm sure.