Been taking ibuprofen for 22 years

Hi,

Ive been taking 2400 mg of ibuprofen for 22 years. Ive never had stomach issues but Im very concerned.

Ive read horror stories about liver and GI issues. Its been working for me this whole time but last year my PSA got much worse. Is there any reason for me to try another NSAID? Maybe a cox-2 inhibitor?

Im currently on MTX for 2 months. It does help a bit with the inflammation but not enough to decrease the ibuprofen. My doc said in 2 more months well consider biologics. Does the MTX and biologics allow people to stop NSAID's?

I was also on NSAIDS for about the same length of time. They helped quite a bit! Depending on how well a biologic works for you, you may be able to stop the NSAID's. I had to stop them for 5 yrs because the combo of meds I was on caused an internal bleed.

If you are not having trouble right now, and they are working, don't worry. If something happens THEN worry. I'm speaking of experience in the same time frame as you (though for about 10 yrs I took 3200mg / day).

The internet is full of terrifying stories about EVERYTHING. If you read it all you would be terrified to eat (the proponents of various diet modification), take medication (who think it is all toxic poison), etc.

I'm glad you found this board! :)

Talk to your doctor. The combination of mtx and nsaids can wreak havoc on your liver, but your rheumy should be doing bloodwork to check liver enzyme levels while you're on mtx.

I took 3200mg of ibuprofen a day for most of my teens and twenties. I was fine then but now I'm 37 and have elevated liver enzymes which may be due to past NSAID use. I have been undergoing testing to figure out what my liver issues are, to the point where I've been referred to a hepatologist.

2400mg is a lot - it's three times the maximum recommended daily dosage, so I'd definitely check with a doctor about other options.

Hi Carle,

I've been on every sort of NSAIDS for 20 yrs....and always needed a biologic, mtx, and a NSAID, to make me not suffer. I think it depends on the severity of it all.

Some ppl might get by with just a DMARD, others might have a more aggresive form

I had to get off NSAIDS, the liver...but after all the tests on it, it's important for me to loose 20 lbs., fatty liver

At least i can take Celebrex now..One day i forgot to take it in the morning, and i felt it

take care