Back problems....again!

Do any of you have nerve damage in your lower back that makes your legs feel as if they just can’t function? These past couple days I’ve been really troubled about how my lower back feels (across the top of my butt), the numbness down my left leg and weakness–inability to walk comfortably more than about 100 paces. I’m very careful not to lift anything–as in anything over 20 lbs.–but how do you not lift your legs alternately walking, and especially walking up stairs? Today I took two young grandkids to a Halloween program at the University where I work, and I honestly felt like I wasn’t going to make it through the building and back out to the car! And, it’s not that the pain is so horrible–it’s that my legs just don’t want to move! I got scared for a moment thinking what if I have MS or some other terrible neurological disease!
The MRI I had 2 years ago showed protruding discs and impinged nerves, etc., but that seemed to settle down and not give me too much trouble if I avoided lifting. But now, for some strange reason, I’m having this increasing weakness and feeling that my legs can’t lift me and not sure what’s happening. I guess it wouldn’t be a bad idea to go for P.T. and maybe another MRI, except I’m sure my out-of-pocket would be a killer!
Anybody else have this kind of back troubles?

Hi Grandma_J. Is that a new dash between Grandma and J, or have I just not noticed it before?

I think you know I’m experiencing something similar and also that I don’t have obvious back pain, just pain below my buttocks that radiates down my legs. Since having a steroid injection early this month there’s no pain in that area but yes, my legs still feel weak & heavy sometimes, like they’re not listening to my brain yelling ‘Walk faster you *&$£s@*s!’

My brand new rheumy had quite enough to deal with at my appointment without addressing this specifically, so I’m going to have to see how it goes. I think it must be nerve-related but I also reckon my hips are stiffer than I realise and perhaps that contributes to the delayed reaction feeling when walking.

I’m scared of MS too, my Mum had it very badly. But on balance I don’t think that’s what this is.

I experience this periodically but in a milder form. I too think it is nerve related because of the numbness and weird sensations. The heaviness of the leg is a challenge

Sybil, I feel really lucky–after Thursday when I put up that discussion I took a very hot bath, some extra ibuprofen and Tylenol, and iced my lower back more than usual!. I really didn’t think I’d go to work Friday.
But after all that and extra rest/sleep Thursday night, I was back to my “normal” self–the usual “touchy” lower back and "heavier"than should be legs, but nothing to the extreme it was Thursday. I get so scared when that happens because it felt as if my back was “going out” and I just can’t handle that again. Anybody who’s had a disc impinging the spinal cord knows how horrible that is. Now at least I know I can stave that off, even when my back and legs feel like they’re giving up! I’m always telling everyone to have hope–I need to follow my own advice! What you’re experiencing with your back and legs doesn’t sound good–have you had an MRI? I had thought about asking for one, but they’re so expensive! Also, if I go for P.T., which I should, it’ll cost me $60 copay a session, which I really can’t afford.

I don’t know if my back is the root of the problem. But I understand why you think yours is and also why you are very keen to avoid it putting you out of action. Glad you found a way to stop things escalating, I guess the measures you took are obvious enough but I know how hard it can be to be sensible all the time!

What does PT involve and is there any chance you could do it yourself? Another thing that would require sensibleness and dedication. Stupid disease!

Yes, MacMac, the heaviness of the legs is a real challenge.
Sybil, just BE careful! When my back went out 2 years ago, I had the very weird tingling in my lower back and legs the day before and it was like my legs didn’t want to walk. I remember we were walking into Sam’s Club and I was having a totally new/different sensation in my legs. I’m sure I lifted bags of groceries that day and certainly did the normal things–probably lifting grandkids, etc., not knowing my back was sending me warning signals! So, now when my back sends me “warning signals” I am VERY aware that something EVIL is lurking!!! It would be impossible to really know what’s around the corner unless this happened to you. So, I say pay attention to those weird sensations, weakness and heaviness, tingling, a squeezing feeling in your lower spine–it could be that something bad is starting. Before I went on Enbrel, my lower back was sooooooo stiff and rolling over in bed, getting up from sitting or lying was very painful. I didn’t know how much damage was happening. Now, I don’t have the stiffness much anymore–it’s a whole new thing, but luckily if I’m careful it’s tolerable. Well, in a way. I’d say it’s hard to think that I’m 63 and I can’t walk far, can’t lift–this is NOT how I imagined I’d be at this age. My feet are the other culprit–so between back and feet–they are two things that majorly changed my lifestyle. PsA has the potential to harm us in so many ways–my problems are mild compared to what some sufferers are experiencing–especially with terribe disfigurements and unrelenting pain. I just need to be an advocate for quick and appropriate treatment when PsA is diagnosed! Pretty sure I’d be in way better shape had I not waited several years before treating my PsA!

Message received and understood!

How’s your back now? Also wondering what your rheumy says about all this, I guess he would be the first port of call before considering paying for an MRI. With luck you’ll be able to stave off further problems now you know what the warning signs are but if you think nerve impingement (or whatever it is) is getting worse then it might be best to get it investigated.

Well, I’d go to a physical therapist if I knew their massage would help, and I do already know some mild exercises which I should do daily. My youngest daughter and I used to exercise to Richard Simmons videos and we just looked at them online yesterday. I was thinking maybe some low impact exercise would do me good (I couldn’t even keep up with him 12 years ago, but it was fun trying!).
My back was really acting up last Wednesday and Thursday, but by Friday it settled down and has stayed OK since. Idk when my next rheumy appointment is–I think February–my feet seem to be a little more swollen and the pain in them gets pretty bad towards the end of the day, so that’s something I’ll bring up to him, too.
It’s pretty much a disease that never goes completely away, no matter what meds we take–at least that’s how I see it.

Hi Grandma J. You have my sympathy, that heavy leg sensation is not pleasant! I have nerve impingement from discs like you and the only thing that gave me complete relief from this was a nerve root injection into the sciatic nerve. It may be worth a go if things don’t settle down, I get a couple of months relief from each injection.

Hi minky! Well, it’s so weird because it flares for a day or two and then lets up for awhile. So, I always convince myself injections aren’t necessary knowing the pain won’t last indefinitely. The constant minor pain and weakness I have in mynlegs

…Ooops, I wasn’t finished. I was attempting to fix that typo and my reply was sent!
…anyway, that minor pain/weakness is something I don’t think an injection would really be necessary. But, I definitely would consider injections if the flare wouldn’t stop. It’s good to know the injection gives a couple months’ relief.

Today I babysat one of my 1-year old grandkids and took him for a walk in the stroller. Well, I made it about a block and a half before my lower back started aching and my legs got “heavy”…so, we turned around and headed for home–barely made it back and I had the stroller for some support.
Our son wanted to take my husband and me to a Vikings football game tomorrow…Vikings got a new stadium in MN and it would be interesting to see. My husband is going, but I refused–because I can’t even imagine walking up and down all those stairs to get to our seats, and then sitting cramped in a tight, hard uncomfortable stadium seat for 3 hours and also having to walk from the car to inside the stadium–I doubt there are benches everywhere like there were in Washington, D.C. I’m worried my husband is going to fall down the stairs because he’s in worse shape than me! I think he’s taking a big risk, but he so wants to see the new stadium just once. I know my limits and sometimes it’s just not worth taking the chance of doing something fun that could cause terrible pain afterwards.

I think you showed wisdom in your caution. I went to visit a friend in Chicago the weekend before last. I was STILL getting over it this weekend. I think the 4 hour drive each way and the constant kid-stuff (5 and 7 y/o girls) which did include a Halloween-themes sleepover for three additional kids just plain did me in. My back started to act up as did my right hip at the end of the week which is a signal that I’m on the brink of a flare so I REALLY dialed it down this weekend. Good for you for knowing your limits!

1 Like