Anyone have PsA and not have psoriasis?

I have been diagnosed with PsA and do not have any sign of psoriasis. Which has made me a little uncomfortable with accepting the diagnosis. I have read of course that the arthritis can come first. Believe me I’m not complaining about not having it and I know those who do have it may really suffer and I hate that for everyone but just wondering if others have been diagnosed and don’t have that main symptom.

1 Like

Hey @Mwitt
I don’t have the plaque kinda psoriasis. However I do have the pits in my nails and horrible ugly nails that people usually think is a fungus.
But I’ve never had the plaque psoriasis tho.

2 Likes

Are you sure you have never had psoriasis? It can be very minimal. Some say they used to think they had dandruff or dry skin before realising it was probably mild psoriasis.

2 Likes

@AngieB thank you for your response. I had to look up plaque psoriasis to see what you mean. I hope that’s not something we would end up with. But hopefully treating this now would prevent that from ever happening. I’m sorry your nails are bad :frowning: are you able to camouflage it with a cute pedicure?

1 Like

@Sybil there have probably been times in my life where I’ve been dryer than normal and I may have assumed the weather or a new product I was using caused it. I’ve worked in the beauty profession all my adult life and have always had facials and body treatments and such and no one has ever said anything and no dandruff. While taking the prednisone my face has felt even smoother than normal. I did mention that to my dr.

1 Like

I have PsA with only the smallest amount of psoriasis - a few patches behind my ear, in my belly button and in my ears. When i was on methotrexate it cleared up completely. Now the doc just gives me some Dovobet ointment.

1 Like

My mom and I both have very minimal psoriasis.

2 Likes

@Mwitt
Research is our friend. Lol ,research everything but make sure the article or whatever it is,is from a reputable source. There’s a lot of crap out there, especially online that is just wrong.
Unfortunately, I can’t have a manicure or pedicure :confused: my mama once for my bday got me a manicure with the acrylic nails that were popular at that time. I got an infection in about half of my nails under the false nails. :cry: it was pretty horrible and painful. So far haven’t even tried again for fear that would happen again and the possibility that it would be worse. Honestly it doesn’t bother me anymore and if someone says anything about my nails, I tell them it’s psoriatic. Sometimes that closes the subject and sometimes it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed this past September and I’ve never had any signs of psoriasis. However, my dad has moderate to severe psoriasis, so the rheum felt comfortable with the diagnosis. From conversations I’ve had with my rheum, if we treat the arthritis and get it under control I may never have the psoriasis.

I’d recommend just taking it one day at a time and focus on getting the arthritis under control. I know from experience that wondering if you’re going to end up with the psoriasis can be very stressful, and stress can contribute to worsening symptoms.

3 Likes

I’ve never had psoriasis, but my brother has PsA, so with the strong genetic link I was also diagnosed, though my rheumy did say the treatment is pretty much the same for RA anyway. I do have dry skin at times though and currently red and itchy inside my elbows, so who knows!

I had horrid psoriasis as a teenager, but it practically disappeared by the time I was 20. And I wasn’t diagnosed with PsA until my 50’s. And the psoriasis still isn’t there. My nails are fine and have always been fine, although they hate any nail polish. Always have.

The genetics on familial stuff for both psoraisis and PsA is huge. So if great aunt x had either or cousin y say once removed had either, the chances you would get either psoriasis and/or PsA is pretty normal genetics wise. Most white, Northern European ancestory makes you more likely, especially if you’ve got Irish or Scandavian backgrounds in that ol’ ancestory tree. It can skip generations too.

3 Likes

@Poo_therapy
Thank you for that information! Actually done the 23andme DNA. And I’m all of that rolled into one! :blush: just my luck! But oh well, such is my life! :grin: (if I don’t laugh right now I’m afraid I’ll cry.) (Shoulder and neck pain are back with vengeance! :cry::cry::cry:)

The genetic factor must be strong. I believe my mom had PsA but was never diagnosed. She was diagnosed with degenerative bone disease in her spine and eczema though. But it looked more like psoriasis to me.

@AngieB I’m sorry you’re in pain and I hope your getting better!! Bummer you can’t do your nails but it’s great that you’re comfortable dealing with it now!

My mom also has eczema that I’ve wondered is psoriasis.

Thank you @Sarahh for your reply and reminder not to stress. Some days are super hard to not let my mind go crazy with all of this…

1 Like

@Poo_therapy that’s awesome that your psoriasis cleared up! Hope it stays that way forever!

Just curious How do your nails react to nail polish?

And I definitely need to check my family tree… I’m not too sure besides my immediate family if anyone has/had anything like this. My half sisters. They have a different dad they are twins had a short bout of psoriasis a couple years ago…

Hi, MWitt,
I have a PsA diagnosis and no psoriasis that I’ve seen. Both of my last two rheumatologists claim to have seen it behind my ears!

I have had two very small patches of what I thought was dry skin that took awhile to clear up with over the counter cortisone cream. They were itchy, but it never occurred to me that they might be psoriasis.

I am in much less pain with methotrexate and am trying my first biologic. Because the methotrexate worked so well for me, I don’t doubt the diagnosis.

@Mwitt thank you hunny. Actually my shoulder and neck were pretty ok today until I was almost home. My oldest grandson bday party was today almost 2hours away. I drove. I’m beginning to think that the stress of driving and the heat and humidity being up is the trigger for it. 800mg motrin and ice pack have helped but the strange thing is my arm muscle that connects to the shoulder feels really weird, like it’s been frogged.

Yeah,guess lol but I’ve never really been the girly girl. I’m was the tomboy. I don’t think about my nails unless someone points them out or they’re bothering me.

My granny, mama’s mama, also had something like psoriasis or eczema. I’m don’t think she ever got it seen by a dermatologist. She also had A LOT of allergies. I’m pretty sure inherited all that from her.

1 Like

Hi @Laura108 thank you for sharing with me! Question: if Methotrexate is working well why are you trying biologic?

I totally feel your pain with your arm and shoulder. I’m having a random forearm problem. It’s been in so much pain and swollen.

Heat and humidity bother me so much lately. I grew up in Florida my entire life. Have never been phased by heat. Spent all my days outside with horses.

In the last year now. If I’m outside sweating and hot fo more than 20 mins. I get a I migraine because nauseated and fatigued so severely. It’s just crazy…

Do you think a massage would help you?

@Mwitt
Oh no! These arms and shoulders can be painful, can’t they?!?!
Oh Lord hunny yeah ,used to could be outside with no problems but not anymore. I start sweating and then itching and burning and headache comes. Just drains me of all my energy in a matter of minutes!
I’ve mentioned getting a massage and going to a chiropractor to my husband. Idk if it would help or not but worth a try.