Any alternative to steroid injections?

And here is said Tor in the recent snowy weather, good for a brisk climb!

3 Likes

You know that Italian cheese which is on pizzas beginning with M - that’s made from water buffalo milk, when it’s made properly. The cheese that is not the pizza.

1 Like

And very lovely it is too xx

1 Like

I’m unsure why a single wrist injection caused you roid rage. I’m not saying this is completely correct, but when I was having multiple joint injections, epidurals and occipital nerve blockers very frequently, I asked my pain doctor if I should stop taking my oral steroids. He said no, because the steroids he injects stay in the area and do not go into the bloodstream. From what I know, the lymphatic systems cleans out the garbage between cells in the interstitial fluid where the steroids would hang out. I too have experienced roid rage a long time ago, before the onset of PsA. It was really bad, so I can relate. I am wondering though, if something else, other than simply the one injection, could have caused your reaction. Perhaps an interaction of different things you haven’t thought of? If you really didn’t like the results of the injection, I would recommend trying Ginger Oil on your wrist. Amazon has some good ones. It is soothing and warming but doesn’t smell horribly strong like bengay or icy hot.

Sending you warming and relaxing thoughts to heal your heart and wrist.

So again I am not at all an expert on the qualifications in Europe but this may be a good example of what I am talking about. In the US I intensely studied acupuncture theory for 4 years before earning a Master’s degree in the field. All accredited schools in the US require a minimum of 2,175 hours of classroom study and 600 hours of clinical practice under supervision before licensure. Some states require more - my school required over 3,500 credit hours between clinical and coursework. It was very challenging, and over 50% of the people who started in my cohort did not graduate.

A physical therapist, by contrast, can get certified in “dry needling” and offer acupuncture after taking a 50 hour course. Obviously they are highly trained in physical therapy and their coursework is just as tough, etc. This isn’t a comment on that - just that if you are already licensed as an MD, PT or chiro in the US you can call yourself an acupuncturist with an embarrassingly inappropriate amount of training. It is not an accident that the dominant majority of all malpractice claims against acupuncturists in the US is made agains people without an L. Ac. This was one of the many concessions acupuncturists have had to make in order to get the profession recognized and legally licensed at all.

Hi, according to my rheumy and physio that did the injection, a small amount does get into your system and I’m obviously just really sensitive to steroids. It had the benefit of sorting my bloods out, as my iron and neutrophils had gone very low on Benepali, so it definitely went into my system, not just stayed in my wrist. It wasn’t total rage, mainly mania actually, which sounds great, but really isn’t!

I’ve been trying tiger balm recently for the cold/hot effect, had heard about ginger oil too. Have just had delivered some hemp oil salve which claims to help pain and inflammation, so we’ll see.

Thanks for the warming thoughts xx

Your experience and the info your doctors gave you and the evidence from bloodwork highlights my personal opinion that doctors really are “practicing” medicine. We were both told different things by different practioners who thought they were right. I trusted my doctors advice and in light of the evidence you have presented me with, I see once again, doctors don’t know everything. Thank you for the attitude readjustment.

I do know mania is not fun. I was diagnosed as “manic-depressive” when I was 13 and have been on so many different drugs and “cocktails” since then, most of which either did not help or made things worse or took away my humanity. I empathize with you completely.

I hope some of the topicals provide you with relief and I am sorry steroids affect you in such a negative way. I’ve been on prednisone, “low dose” of 5mg per day for nearly a year. It has wreaked havok on my body and I am stepping down the dose .5mg at a time but it’s going to take a very long time to stop them completely. I honestly can’t say whether they help or not, just that I’ll be glad to get yet another drug out of my system.

The injections made a humongous difference for me but the process and recovery periods after were long and Very rough. So again, I don’t know if in the end they were worth it. Maybe your body knows something the doctors don’t.

I wish you well and thank you for the information my friend :yum:

Same for me when I had a steroid shot into my hip for bursitis just before Christmas. I had a few weeks being Pollyanna and noticed when it wore off as in not being such a Pollyanna. Thankfully though it fixed the hip. However I was so relieved too at the time that my 7 weeks of persistent diarrhoea had finally stopped, (sulfasalazine interacting badly with Benepali) that might have helped the Pollyanna bit too. Who knows. Interestingly when I had the depo injection in my bum, ages ago now, I wasn’t such a Pollyanna and it didn’t work otherwise.

When I saw my rheumy in January shortly after the injection into my hip, she felt it was ‘masking’ things then too, (and not just my hip) as I was in the throes of being Pollyanna when I saw her so I certainly think the considered view of joint steroid injections is that a little of it does circulate elsewhere. It’s sort of rational really, since the blood flows all around and you’ve just whacked in a great dose of steroids into a particular spot. So obviously if you’re as sensitive as you are, you’ll notice more than us ones not so sensitive.