Ankle Pain continued...still grumbling

It’s been a month & a half now, we’re back home and the pain is still there, still limping here & there. Thursday I had an xray but really no reason to suspect a fracture unless it’s a stress fracture. It helps to walk on my heel but even then too much and I’m in a lot of pain and limping around.

Anyone ever hear of peroneal tendinopathy ? From what I’ve been reading (yeah, self diagnosing!) it really sounds like it could be this. Overuse, we did do a big run in December and we do walk a lot…and there is definitely a link to PsA.

https://www.nhslanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk/services/physiotherapy-msk/peroneal-tendinopathy/

Anyway, just putting feelers out because everything takes so much time to diagnose - if my xray comes back negative I’ll have to wait for an ultrasound or MRI and who know how long that will take - in the mean time, just trying to live my life !

Not sure if it’s just overuse or my Rinvoq is not longer helping.

Peroneal tendinopathy was my first symptom of PsA. And at that time there was no issue of any overuse either. I had had my feet up for 6 weeks following a bunion correction operation. It just looks like my immune system had a hissy fit given the teeny metal plate and screw put into the otherside of my foot and PsA consequently ignited really fast everywhere else

Tendon issues are such a huge issue of PsA - your rheumy or even a podiatrist could confirm that tendon is involved by just feeling it. A podiatrist did give me a temporary insole which lessened the acuteness of the pain for me so that might an option for you?

I always find with tendon issues and PsA they take at least 3 to 4 months to subside frankly regardless of what I do try and help. Ice and heat and swapping them and decent prescribed anti-inflammatories helped a little.

If the rest of the PsA is doing OK then Rinvoq would be likely deemed still working but for this tendon which runs right up your calf too sadly.

Thanks for the reply - it sure does sound like this is what my issue is. Poo, seems like you’ve been through it all, lol !

I’ll have to bring it up with doc - my rheumie is 5 hours away and I’ve never met him (I will have to one day but as long as the Rinvoq is working it’s by phone as my local one left practice). Maybe the next step is an ultrasound ? MRI ? Yikes all those things take time. Maybe a physiotherapist visit…?

Stupid medical system - in the meantime I’m trying to work, etc. - I’m on my feet.

Yup, been there, done that. Don’t remember what I did other than ride it out

See a podiatrist if you can for a temporary insole to shift the pressure off this tendon. It’s by far the easiest way to manage. Ultrasound or MRI will only possibly show why you’re in this pain but won’t actually do anything to ease it so what’s the point of that? Failing that see a physio but again without shifting the pressure off the inflammation nothing will ease it for you.

Thanks Poo, I will look in to that. My doc appointment isn’t until Thursday…this is miserable, I’m a pretty active person and I really feel sidelined. I know it could be worse, but it still sucks. Stretching gently, trying epsom salt soaks, walking on my heel when I need to walk. Grr.

Actually the podiatrist will make that temp insole so walking on your heel is a lot more confortable. Ice and heat and swapping them is good too, not just heat. Here in the UK you don’t need a doctor’s appt to visit a podiatrist either. I find the sports ones best for tendon issues, they understand tendon issues better since sports people like runners etc are always messing theirs up. It will eventually ease up you know. But it takes its time.

I frequently get ankle and and stiffness. Mine seems related to overuse and flare-ups of my psa. My best help comes from ice packs, Voltaren cream, and slow range of motion. It never stays away. I’m on Cosyntex and low dose prednisone.