Advice and expectations for first dose of Methotrexate

Thank you for the encouragement!

1 Like

I’ve found my way with methotrexate over time. I take mine straight after my evening meal with a glass of milk. It really helps me. Then I have a cup of tea and perhaps a biscuit or light dessert. If I feel nauseated I find ginger tea or tonic water really help. I lost some hair when I was on a higher dose but it was more thinning than coming out in clumps. Not that noticeable. My hair stopped growing too. Saved a fortune at the hairdressers. I came off Methotrexate in January and everything returned to normal eventually. My hair grew back curly :joy:. I’m back on it now at a lower dose along with Erelzi (biologic) and a month down the line I’ve had no side effects apart from a bit of brain fog the day after I take it. It’s worked for me. Don’t be afraid xxx

1 Like

Thank you! The hair loss has been a big fear for me as I am a hairdresser and have been for 15 years lol so I dont want my hair to change but im feeling more confident about taking it now and I will start this week. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Good luck xxx

1 Like

I have felt fear with every new medication on the PsA journey. It seems appropriate since we don’t know exactly how they will affect us until we try them!

I’ve had no side effects with methotrexate, once I switched to injections rather than tablets. The pills caused me severe stomach problems. I also seem to remember being unable to sleep if I took the tablets at night. Now I give myself the injections in the morning, and that works well for me.

Wishing you well, MWitt, on your journey!

1 Like

Thank you. It seems most people do better on the injections rather than the tablets.
I’m scared I’m going to give myself stomach problem just in anticipation lol. I’m almost looking forward to my first dose now just to get it over with!!

Did you see this in our Newbies’ guide, Mwitt?

It seems most people do better on the injections rather than the tablets. – MWitt

I’ve never understood why docs start with tablets. I was anxious to get “this thing” under control, and I asked for injections instead of pills. “No, we always start with pills first.” was the answer. A couple of months later, there wasn’t any improvement, so we switched to injections. Like, WT… ?

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes the anticipation is worse than the actual event! :joy:

“A successful painting has to have something of you and your experience within it… I like to sense the search in the painting.” ~Richard Diebenkorn

1 Like

I read the newbie post. Thank you for showing me. I like to hear a success story. I wish their hair loss didn’t sadden me and scare me so much. I a hairstylist and love my hair and fear looking weird but I guess I’d rather have less hair then hurting messes up joints.

Not sure how many on Mtx do lose hair … I think it’s one of those things that gets a lot of internet time when & if it does happen and that skews the picture. I lost hair when I stopped Mtx for a while because my psoriasis went wild but it grew back with a vengeance when I re-started the drug. Now I’ve got plenty of the stuff again, despite being old.

Being the first drug that most of us encounter for PsA, Mtx can, I think, get the blame for some of the effects of the disease itself. Initially I thought it was responsible for my dull skin and the dark rings under my eyes. But you know what, it’s the disease itself that can be a whopping great anti-beauty treatment.

Quite a few report being told ‘but you look so well!’ even when they feel truly lousy. Not me - I aged about 10 years in a couple of years and looked absolutely awful when PsA first hit me hard. And with the disease under control I look much healthier again, in my opinion anyway.

Don’t be fearful, give it a go. Mtx is hard for some but not for others, I suspect that the majority of patients don’t have a problem with it.

1 Like

Thank you! Encouraging words!

Your right I’m sure about the disease being a cause of a lot of it. Because I know my hair has hanged a lot in the last year and it seems more
Fragile. And I have aged and changed so much in this last year as well. Thank God for good make up :joy:

I was on methotrexate for about 4 years. Yeah I lost some hair, it just got thinner in places but I am also now 63 and female so it may have been hormones. I was nauseated on pills and switched to a weekly shot with a very thin tiny insulin needle. Not painful. It made me nauseous and my tummy hurt but it wasn’t as bad as the flu. It can help you feel better and may help get this crappy disease under control. It’s the first Med used usually. By the way, most people didn’t know I had lost hair, it was gradual and not as bad as I thought. I stopped taking it last year and hair came back some. So take it. I think that first medicine is where you have to confront that the psa is there and is not going away.

1 Like

This

Just wanted to say, thank you Bern, there is a lot of wisdom here

2 Likes

I didn’t feel bad actually on that dose of MTX (10mg). Tablets taste a bit funky but that was all! I did have to go up to 25mg over time and I didn’t feel great for a day or so after that amount so I think the side effects can be linked to dose.

If you feel unwell and you’re up for trying it, you can do the injections instead which bypass the oral route and stop you feeling nauseous. I switched onto injections after a few months on 25mg and it nearly stopped all the sick feelings.

1 Like

@Bern
Everyone’s input and this whole forum has been so helpful and encouraging to me. My prednisone dosage just dropped to 15 mg and I’m taking my first dos of methotrexate tonight. I’m nervous but also hopeful.

I’m hopeful for little to no side effects and relief where it’s needed.

I will be on 15 mg of methotrexate.

@Mwitt: Best of luck with Mtx!!! Will be keeping fingers crossed it all goes well for you, with little to no side effects and maximum benefit!! :smile:

Do keep in mind though that it can take a while to start to take effect, so don’t be too disappointed if you don’t notice any improvement straight up, hang in there with it and you might find it’s all you need to get you up and running again :slight_smile:
Here’s hoping!! xxxx

1 Like

@janson thank you I’ll keep that in mind. Me dr. Kept me on prednisone for a few weeks in hopes the methotrexate will kick in before I’m done with it.

That’s good… the prednisone should help keep things at bay till the Mtx takes effect :smile: All the best!! xxx

1 Like

Yes best of luck. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I survived 9 hours so far! :slight_smile:

2 Likes