Abnormal labs, impending surgery, foot problems....what a mess!

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I posted anything. Hope everyone is ready for Thanksgiving and feeling well. I myself am not ready for thansgiving or feeling well :+{

1. Latest lab test showed low WBC and low RBC which are not a shock because of my meds. But I am questioning that the macrocytes are listed as "rare" as done by a" peripheral smear reviewed by a technologist". I can't find any info on what this means..is it good or bad ? Also abnormal was high reactive lymphs and high absolute reactive lymphs. I was recovering from bronchitis, tonsilitis and thrush at the time...is this high value expected given that info ? Vitamin D was low at 17 ( normal 30-100). I know I will be put on prescription D. But the one I am most concerned about is GFR low of 53. It is listed on the report as moderately reduced kidney function. REALLY?? Could this be caused by my psoriatic arthritis or the Celebrex ?

2. I am scheduled for shoulder surgery Dec20 to have the joint "cleaned out" and possible problem with the rotator cuff and bicep tendon. I went to PT for 8 weeks, in fact went through the 8 week rotation about 5 months apart with little improvement. Has anyone else with PsA had this surgery or have the problem? Not afraid of the surgery. just the recovery?

3. Long story with my left foot. In a CAM walker boot for 2 months due to a tear in the plantar fascia, one month in a short leg cast and 2 months of PT...very little relief. Was supposed to have surgery, but now the post tibial tendon is inflammed and possible also is torn. So now in a $1,200 custom brace to see if that helps..ugh I give up.

So I am asking anyone who knows about any of these problems to please inform me. My rheumatologist is away at a conference so I can't find out about the labs. And I am looking for anyone who has had the shoulder surgery or the foot pain. I have been told yes it is from the PsA, but then ago no it's not. I feel it has to be. Any ideas out there ?

Thanks so much !

Hi Babs, Sorry for all you are going through. I had surgery on both shoulders. I can honestly say its one of the best decisions I ever made. I don't have that terrible pain anymore. The most important advice I have for you about recovery is you have to do the exercises they give you. I now have full range of motion. I have met many who still have problems and its because they didn't work hard at recovery. Please don't be afraid of the surgery or recovery, it is manageable and you will be so happy you did it.

As for the foot pain, I have that too. There are times I can hardly walk. Went to a podiatrist a few weeks ago and he gave me a boot to wear at night and told me to do a lot of stretching exercises. I see him in another week, but unfortunately, I don't think the stretching is doing much good.

I also get the "it is" and "it isn't" from PsA. I'm at the point I don't even care. I just want them to "fix" me.

I hope you can enjoy your Thanksgiving. I'm praying for you, and if you have any more questions about the surgery for your shoulder, don't hesitate to ask.

It is definitely from the PsA (the foot pain). I have a foot brace which I hate. Always were the arch supports in your shoes and do stretching of the feet. I am having the foot pain so bad right now so I know how you feel. I was told that there can be alot of little tears in the ligament of the foot. It gets better after awhile but if you are anything like me, resting it is usually not an option. Try to nurse it a little and see if you can go to PT to learn the exercises to stretch it. I can't even walk my dog with my back and feet the way they are. Interestingly enough my shoulders never bothered me until a few months ago. It is from my neck to my shoulders. Is that where you have it? Sorry I forgot to mention that plantar fascitiatis is a hallmark of PsA. Sorry you and Sheila and everyone else is suffering. I literally can feel your pain! Take care of yourselves. Lucia

Shoulder surgery can be a whole range of things. You never know what you are going to get until its over.... It can be a few hours out of your day that makes you wonder why you put it off or it can be a weeks long rehab that make you wonder what the H were you thinking (at least until you are done rehabing.

There are a few clues what its going to be like:

If you wake up and your sling has a "belly strap" holding your arm to your body, its NOT going to be good (for a while)

If you wake up and you have an ice bag over the ball of your shoulder or a circulating pump (sometimes the circulating pump is an igloo cooler with a hose) it s not going to be good for a week or so

If you have none of the above, be careful, you shoulder will feel great which is misleading, they often forget to tell you that it is loaded with local anesthetic which can take hours or even days to wear off. In any even they take you off the"good stuff" and send you home before its all wore off. Take your pain meds for the first two days NO MATTER HOW you feel.If you get behind it will be days before you catch up.

You might want to plan on sleeping in a recliner the first night (or plan on waking up someone if you need to make a trip) Also plan on going commando the first night at least between balance and only one hand, you can have terrible accident if you run out of time. or twist the wrong shoulder. You will have had enough fluids at the surgery center you will have the need.

The only thing left to worry about is your first PT appointment (if you don't have one ask for some range of motion exercises anyway, you have impinged whether you know it or not) The Dungeon Master will lull you into a false of sense of security... the really cruel one may even sucker you with a a bit of massage, electrical stimulation ot the cruelest ultrasonic Just when you are thinking of adding her to your will everything changes. If they bring out rubber tubing you MUST overcome the temptation to use it to strangle her with. You may get a reduced sentence (if the judges has had shoulder surgery) but you will go to prison. As someone else mention do the exercises. You'll wonder why didn't have it sooner - really.

As far as the other things. I have friends that have all of them in form or another and they don't have PsA, they are all about the same age. I'm not saying they aren't a pain (the things not friends) because they are, but its pretty unimportant whether they are PsA related or not. The fact is its hell to have PsA AND its hell to get old.

Your docs can tell you for sure, but it sounds like you are getting over a bug. Macrocytes are a large cell. Generally you DON'T want them around. They are present with a variety of illnesses (most chronic) some more sinister than others.

I know and hear your frustrations....I get tests done all the time and I don't know about all these acronyms. I google them, worry about it, and then the dr. says it is nothing to worry about. SO, I decided not to worry about anything I do not understand, until the dr. says it might be something to study further. Relax, stress can hurt you. While we worry because we don't know medicine, drs. understand the repercushions of the results and know the remedy.

I also have a lot of health baggage going on at the same time. I try to take one problem at a time, and let someone else worry for me. You're in my prayers.

Macrocytes are “big red blood cells”. They are abnormal. One common cause is vitamin B12 / folic acid deficiency. But there are other potential causes. I am not sure that “rare” macrocytes means much. Some chemo drugs do require folate supplementation (folate is required to help absorb B12 in the gut).

Regarding the low GFR. That is a measure of your kidney function. And yes, Celebrex can cause decreased kidney function. Many other drugs can also lower GFR.

Thanks to all of you, they were all informative responses. And ones that really made me laugh tntlamb ! ! I actually spoke with my rheumatologist this afternoon. She was concerned about the low GRF, but my creatinine was normal, however to be on the safe side I have to have another CMP and urinanalysis for protien and creatinine on Friday

Also of concern was the fact that my torn plantar fascia was not yet healed, she suggested I get another opinion with an ortho where she is (J.Hopkins), but I told her I would see first how I did with the Arizonia brace I was just fit for, I don't want to waste that money ! In the mean time I will hobble around and wince in silence. I don't like the way pain meds make me feel, so for me that is not an option.

The shoulder tips were also much appreciated, even the commando one ! I just hope it's a quick and easy surgery, I had a 1st rib resection ( rib was removed) last year and it was not fun. I think the shoulder will be less pain because of immobilization, at least that is what I am hoping for !

I thank you all and hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving ;0}

Hi there Babs,

The glomerular filtration rate (GFR) can be affected by many things not just drugs…age can also play a part, as your creatinine level was ok try not to worry too much. The worry with the decline in Kidney function is when it happens over time and no one is aware of the fact, at least you will be monitored closely. Moderately reduced kidney function, here in the UK, is described between 30 - 60 GFR so you are only a small dip into moderate category…I believe our levels are similar to those in the US
Happy Thanksgiving :slight_smile: