To take Humira or not

Hi All,

well this is my first offical disscussion, I would like some feedback on Humira, I have been on mtx and prednisolone for over 12 months for PSA and was until recently taking plaquenil which did nothing, Whilst the mtx and pred have helped a little over the last 12 months I am still in some degree of pain each day, I went to see my rheumy today and he talked about trying Humira as my crp is still up at 18.1, I just want to (like you all) have some days pain free, so those of you who are on or have been on Humira what kind of results have you had , I am aware that we all react differntly to medications. :)

I'm with Sybil, Tinkerbell...prednisolone or prednisone isn't good for you. This spring I nearly begged my internist and my rheumy for some and they refused to give it to me. I learned why on this site.

I will join Sybil in shouting out about the biologics! I've been on Enbrel for almost 4 months and I'd say the results are miraculous. Well, I should say also it's not a cure, but I am extremely pleased and have no SEs--at least none that would ever make me want to quit Enbrel and go back to feeling like cr#! all the time.

Seenie and Sybil (and all the mods) have an old saying' "fear the disease and not the meds", and that is so right. Good luck--glad you're here asking questions. These people helped me so much in my decision-making about getting on a biologic.

Like you, I was on prolonged MTX and pred (about 8 months) before getting to the biologics. I started Enbrel first, but went onto Humira when we realised I may have some inflammatory bowel involvement (the Enbrel was working great for my PsA).

I can’t speak highly enough of the biologics, nor be adequately deriding of taking pred long term in a polite forum like this (adequate derision really requires old-fashioned country swearing).

I had to take long term pred, as some do (qualifying rules for biologics in Aus combined with a need to keep my job), but I’d never recommend it, and the sooner I switched from pred to biologics, the better life was for me. MTX? Meh. Never seemed to do much for me, but SEs are minimal in comparison to pred.

I love my Humira. As well as being very effective in treating the disease, in me it seems to modulate my immune system so I don’t catch every cold out there, or get overly sick when I do. Yup, I got a LOT sicker, a LOT more frequently, on long term pred.

And I went from investigating wheelchair models a couple of years ago, to waterskiing with my family this Sunday gone (not exactly as well as before, and I’m awake at 4am now with a sore neck, but I got up - it was so much fun and so worth it!).

My experience with Humira has been great.

Thanks Jen

Jen said:

Like you, I was on prolonged MTX and pred (about 8 months) before getting to the biologics. I started Enbrel first, but went onto Humira when we realised I may have some inflammatory bowel involvement (the Enbrel was working great for my PsA).

I can't speak highly enough of the biologics, nor be adequately deriding of taking pred long term in a polite forum like this (adequate derision really requires old-fashioned country swearing).

I had to take long term pred, as some do (qualifying rules for biologics in Aus combined with a need to keep my job), but I'd never recommend it, and the sooner I switched from pred to biologics, the better life was for me. MTX? Meh. Never seemed to do much for me, but SEs are minimal in comparison to pred.

I love my Humira. As well as being very effective in treating the disease, in me it seems to modulate my immune system so I don't catch every cold out there, or get overly sick when I do. Yup, I got a LOT sicker, a LOT more frequently, on long term pred.

And I went from investigating wheelchair models a couple of years ago, to waterskiing with my family this Sunday gone (not exactly as well as before, and I'm awake at 4am now with a sore neck, but I got up - it was so much fun and so worth it!).

My experience with Humira has been great.

Thanks for your reply

Grandma J said:

I'm with Sybil, Tinkerbell...prednisolone or prednisone isn't good for you. This spring I nearly begged my internist and my rheumy for some and they refused to give it to me. I learned why on this site.

I will join Sybil in shouting out about the biologics! I've been on Enbrel for almost 4 months and I'd say the results are miraculous. Well, I should say also it's not a cure, but I am extremely pleased and have no SEs--at least none that would ever make me want to quit Enbrel and go back to feeling like cr#! all the time.

Seenie and Sybil (and all the mods) have an old saying' "fear the disease and not the meds", and that is so right. Good luck--glad you're here asking questions. These people helped me so much in my decision-making about getting on a biologic.

Thanks i had a read of wonering 123 , everyone seems so for humira , i feel i should give it a go

sybil said:

Hi Tinkerbell, congratulations on your first discussion!

Wondering123 started a Humira discussion a day or two ago in this section, so that will be of interest to you too. I'd heartily recommend Humira or any biologic really over DMARDS on the grounds that for many of us DMARDs, although often very helpful, don't quite cut the mustard in terms of actually controlling the disease. And if the choice was between Humira and prednisolone I'd yell 'Humira!' from the rooftops. I know steroids definitely have their uses, but long-term use is not good for a person. Biologics, on the other hand, are looking to be pretty safe as far as I can gather.

From personal experience: I was diagnosed in May 2012 after over a year of huge swelling & big problems that were getting bigger. I've been on prednisone, Mtx, Sulfasalazine and Leflunomide. I started Humira in July and now, finally, I have some small swellings and very small problems too, though I do have the occasional bad day or bad week. It isn't a miracle cure, but for me it's looking to be the best so far by a long way.

I was on injectable MTX for over a year; never quite got rid of the GI side effects.

I've been injecting Humira for two years this coming January. I started out injecting every 14 days and read someplace, probably here, that some folk injected every 10 days and were doing well. I talked to the rheumy who said he was willing to try it--that he had other patients on an every 10 day cycle. Whereas the MTX got me mostly free of pain most days, the best results occurred after I had left shoulder replacement surgery in August 2013 and I started injecting Humira every ten days sometime in October/November of last year.

I have been on a Medrol dosepak twice because I flared after a kidney stone/kidney infection in April and again after a minor surgical procedure in September. My rheumy did use 5 mg of Prednisone as a bridge while I was off all meds before and after my surgery last year. Other than that, I feel better controlled and just better all over(!) with Humira, other than my idiot right hip and one spot on my left heel. Compared to where I was, I'll take it.

thanks for the info
sixcatlawyer said:

I was on injectable MTX for over a year; never quite got rid of the GI side effects.

I've been injecting Humira for two years this coming January. I started out injecting every 14 days and read someplace, probably here, that some folk injected every 10 days and were doing well. I talked to the rheumy who said he was willing to try it--that he had other patients on an every 10 day cycle. Whereas the MTX got me mostly free of pain most days, the best results occurred after I had left shoulder replacement surgery in August 2013 and I started injecting Humira every ten days sometime in October/November of last year.

I have been on a Medrol dosepak twice because I flared after a kidney stone/kidney infection in April and again after a minor surgical procedure in September. My rheumy did use 5 mg of Prednisone as a bridge while I was off all meds before and after my surgery last year. Other than that, I feel better controlled and just better all over(!) with Humira, other than my idiot right hip and one spot on my left heel. Compared to where I was, I'll take it.

Hi Tinkerbell!

I am currently on MTX (weekly injection) as well as Humira (once every 14 days). My rheumy put me on prednisone for a month to control all of my joint pain and then started me on the Humira. I have been on it for about 4-5 months and although I hate the pain of the shot, I absolutely love it. I used to have a hard time doing basically any activity and wouldn't be able to sleep at all because of the pain. Now, I have almost zero pain and am able to do everything. I was very hesitant about going on it but am incredibly happy that I decided to. I hope you have as good of luck as many others and myself. :-)