Thoughts about medical cannabis and do you think it could be considered RA if we didn't have the psoriasis?

I have been living with PsA for over 10 years now, and I am only in my early 30s. I experimented with marijuana when my swelling and pain became unbearable and I couldn't afford to go to the doctor again to pay the co pay and then the prescriptions for pain meds. At first, I didn't notice any difference in my body or the swelling. After a week of only smoking two joints, I noticed I had more range in motion in my knee and I didn't need my cane as much anymore. I believe that medicinal marijuana alleviates a lot of the symptoms. Unfortunately, I have found another job that is requiring a preemployment drug screen. I have stopped taking marijuana and now my knee is swollen and I have had to drain it twice with cortisone shots. They have given me steroids, methotrexate, and Celebrex, but it hasn't alleviated the severity of the symptoms. I am a firm believer that medical marijuana worked on my symptoms and it doesn't have all the side effects on my liver and kidneys as the other medications do. My only worry is, that I live in the state of Illinois, and they are about to pass medical marijuana, but would only cover Rheum. Arthritis. Do you guys think that they would count PsA under this illness as well?

I haven't used marijuana in YEARS. I live in NY, where it isn't yet legalized for medical uses, but looks like it's on the way. You said that in Illinois, that rheumatoid arthritis would be covered. I have no idea why it wouldn't also address PsA. It seems like it would just be a matter of education in order to get this covered. Good luck with it.

There was a recent discussion about this though. If I remember right, it doesn't do anything for inflammation.

I agree with Stoney, if RA is covered, PsA is probably covered also. But that doesn't necessarily put you in the clear. Even if your state approves medical mj, your employer may choose to go with the national laws and not tolerate it.

Also don't be so quick to compare the apparently lack of mj side effects with the warning label side effects of the DMARDS and the biologics. Just because side effects aren't recorded for mj doesn't mean they don't exist. It's just recently becoming legalized. So up until now, nobody really could study the side effects. I'm also not sure who would have the motivation to study the side effects.

Our wonderful FDA does a great job forcing companies to point out ALL possible side effects of their medicines, phantom or real. It does nothing to point out the side effects of foods, or of dietary supplements. If mj becomes fully, nationally legalized then some years later it will likely be treated like tobacco.

The Feds will shut your MM industry down, I promise. (they have in many states BTW)

By alllowing patients up to 2.5 ounces every two weeks they giving them a years supply (or more) even at 3 bowls a day every 4 days Where is all that extra weed going to go???

This isn't a MM bill (as most aren't)

You may pass a pee test to get a job but if you fail to disclose your Green Card to an an employer and there is a work related accident involving YOU and its reported to OSHA. You can guarantee federal hard time.and there is no parole or suspended sentences in the federal system. They do however have a great medical plan in the federal prison system.

If you must have your doobie get it the old fashioned way a gram at a time.