Temperature on Humira

Hi Everyone, a question for those of you who have had a bit of experience with Biologics.

I've been getting intermittent low grade temperatures for about ten days whilst on Humira. Until today they were maximum 37.2 deg C (99 F) when I noticed them, perhaps one a day, no other symptoms except feeling a bit lousy at the time of the temperature, and a couple of times feeling like I have sinus pressure (but no gunk, and on the occasional nose blow, all clear and clean).

Today I have had up to 37.7 (approx 100F), and it's been going more or less all day (mostly at a lower temp - I've taken some paracetamol).

I'm pretty sure its not Ebola :), so my question is whether or not other people have had an expereince where this is an indication of a hidden infection when on Biologics?

And if so, how long did it take to get serious? I feel generally well (just a bit tired and like I have a cold coming on).

I won't be back in Australia with time to go get my bloods done and follow up with a doctor for another two weeks - though I could fast track it to one week if there was urgency.

Also I should explain that both at onset, and also when I started having major tummy troubles (when we changed from Enbrel to Humira which fixed it), that I used to get night sweats and temperatures every night. These however seem a bit different (and I'm not having a stomach flare, at least not that I'm getting any symptoms from). It was a fair while ago, but I think they were usually around 37.2, and sometimes up to 37.5

The temperatures started before I left Australia - so it's unlikely I've got some tropical disease like malaria - I thought I was getting a cold but it never materialised.

Any experiences from anyone? I'm also cross time-zones, so its extremely difficult for me to contact my rhuematologist - but again, if anyone has experiences that indicate urgency, I can find a way.

I know you can't give me any advice about what to do, but if you've had any experiences I'd be most grateful to hear about them.

PS - I am carrying around a veritable chemist pack with me, so could antibiotic up anything if I thought I knew what it was, but I'm not really into adding extra ones in just for fun (already taking anti-malarial antibiotics).

I should also note my normal temp is between 36.4 and 36.6 deg C (97.5 - 97.9 F)

Hi Jen, do you have any urine testing strips in your chemist pack? I've had a couple of vague 'events' and the only thing the docs have been able to find is the hint of having/being in recovery from a urinary infection. It's been so vague that I didn't really realise anything was wrong.

I get night sweats, have done for about 15 years now. Worse peri-menopausal and a bit better now post-menopausal ..... although I can guarantee that in about three hours time I'll wake up all hot and bothered. Have noticed mine are worse in the middle of the night and improve towards dawn. Thinking about it, around the same length of time that I've had IBS type issues.

Does your company travel/medical insurers have a helpline you can call?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hope you're feeling better asap.

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the suggestion on the urine testing strips - I don't unfortunately. Next time I go to the travel doc I'm going to ask if it's possible to get some.

We do have a help line, but to be honest, I really doubt that they will have much knowledge of biologics - I suspect I will just get sent to a local clinic, who won't know either (Biologics aren't accessible here), and with the language difficulties they won't even understand why I'm bothering to present with a low grade fever and no other symptoms.

I'm due to fly out Wednesday night, so I'm not really concerned that something has to be done before then, though I could look at trying to get something organised in transit if they have an airport clinic in France or Hong Kong - so maybe I'll look that up.

I guess there is always the off-chance my body is still just reacting after the whole nasty influenza thing, it did hit me pretty hard.

Those night sweats you describe sound exactly like the ones I was getting - I had IBS for about 18 years before I got PsA (since the time they took a bit of my intestine out under still-unresolved circumstances when I was 16) - however during that time I never got night sweats. When I first got PsA, I didn't notice too much change in the IBS with onset - just some weird mouth ulcers and the night sweats - then every thing was great with my tummy (IBS pretty well gone) for 8 months while I was on low-dose prednisone. Things went badly downhill when I weaned off it however (after starting Enbrel), and all the symptoms, including the night sweats, came back with a vengeance (and a few more that you don't want to hear about). The Humira has been excellent, though it did take a while to kick in.

Hi Jen, thinking about the bugs you've fought off in the last few months I could totally believe that your body is still recovering so hopefully that is the reason you've got the temperature. As you say Wednesday isn't now too far off ..... I suppose as well if you've got some kind of post-viral thing going on that none of your med box antibiotics are going to help anyway.

On the urine testing strips, I'm going to try to get some to have here at home .... I like a bit of home monitoring!!!!!

Be kind to yourself for the next couple of days ...... drink plenty of safe stuff ..... and have a good journey home.

Wine's safe, isn't it ? ;)

Definitely, in fact it is EXACTLY what I'd recommend :-)

I get low grade temps when I feel crummy. If I am having little fluctuations in the PsA, it will run around 100°F. I have gone to the doc for it, and they just look at me cross eyed. In the end, we attributed it to little mini-flares, because I do get a raging fever when flares come. That’s my story!

…and, wine is always fine!

Thanks for your responses guys - I decided you were right, shrugged my shoulders and ignored it, then had a couple of days without a fever so took my next Humira dose and all’s well with the world!

Good to hear Jen.