PsA Eyes?

I had plugs put in last week, after about 4 months plus of using Restasis. Definitely a bit of improvement, but not perfect. Just not producing enough tears in the first place. I don't do well with the eye drops, doesn't matter which ones I use. I always feel drier shortly after. I think I may need to just have the eye doctor look at my eyes to make sure they are still in, after a day like today.

I know...some days I wish I could keep my eyes closed all day and not open them at all.

i know the feeling. i never would have connected my eye sensitivities with this condition.

Gelita said:

I know...some days I wish I could keep my eyes closed all day and not open them at all.

I, unfortunately, can relate to all of this conversation. My Mom, who has PsA also, had the plugs put in a long time ago. I remember wondering what was wrong with her eyed all the time. They often were swollen. Now mine look like hers!

I guess we learn about the disease as the symptoms appear...

Aren't the eyes the windows to the soul? My windows need some serious cleaning!

I was wondering about my eyes. I have had to stop wearing my contact lenses for a few weeks as my eyes don’t like them. The lenses seem to irritate my eyes. They are disposables and been using them for years.

That's interesting. I have noticed lately the my eyes feeling very scratchy sometimes but I could never figure out what was causing it. Maybe that's it. I'll have to speak to the doc about it.

Blue Fairy and Dini,

Yes, I would speak to my dr.

Me too! My eyes feel itchy / scratchy and on a windy day, my eyes stream. Sometimes my vision is blurry. OTC rehydrating drops help a lot, but I haven’t felt the need for the heavy-duty Rx drops yet.
At the PsA clinic the other day, the docs were discussing the possibility of my having RA, because my RA factor is slightly elevated. They looked my foot x-rays, and agreed that my damage was typical of PsA. Then the senior doc said “How are your eyes?” When I said “Itchy and dry.” He laughed and said to the other doc “There you go …”.
So there you go!

This indication seems more common now, as the doctors learn more about the PsA condition.

This thread was so timely!! I've been having so much watering of my eyes I can no longer wear eyeliner or mascara at all. I'm going to make an appointment with my opthalmalogist for next week! In the mean time, I'll purchase some "Artificial Tears" that someone mentioned above. Thanks so much for all the helpful advice here!! :-)

Sherry, I’ve tried a number of types/brands, and the kind I like best are the gel drops. They seem to last longer than the others. A bit of blur and first, but then it’s good.

Oh thanks Seenie!! I'll be sure to get the gel type! Many thanks!! :-)

Have you also had issues with your teeth and 'dry mouth'? My dentist thinks I may have Sjoren's? Any body else having these issues too?

Michelle

tntlamb said:

Thank you for that..... Just what I was looking for. Heres the links that worked for me Not sure if they are the same:

http://www.psoriasis.org/files/pdfs/forum/Psoriatic-Eye-Manifestati...

http://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/related-conditions/uveitis...

I'm using a very old computer in my wifes sewing room, as my good one and my tab are hidden so it may be the windows 98 and explorer six but had trouble with the links..........

Michelle- I'm in the thick of this. I started using superfluoride toothpaste about 6 months ago, along with biotene mouth wash. I keep gum and sugar free (pref. xylitol based) sucking candy around at all times. I also started Restasis about 6 months ago. I just got punctal plugs put in 2 weeks ago, but I seem to have taken a downturn. I'm seeing the eye doctor tomorrow to double check that the plugs are still in.

The dry mouth issues extend beyond dry mouth, to having trouble swallowing sometimes, and having trouble breathing due to extreme dryness. I used a humidifier all winter, but it took adding in Evoxac to make much of a difference. So far, no cavities diagnosed, but I think I may have one forming now.

As with all inflammatory diseases, it's worse at some times than others. I've had a few instances in the past few years of trouble breathing and swallowing. Looking back, it was a temporary bout of this. I also realized that the reason my mouth and eyes are so horrible right now is because I'm premenstrual, as this seems to increase inflammation (sorry guys).

Yes, I've had watery eyes and burning feelings for awhile, it's been a couple of weeks that it has stopped burning. I had no idea PsA could do that as well, as time passes I'm learning more and more things that are affected from this shitty decease, it get's me down.

splinter2 said:

Thank you, My Eye's in the am are tearing up, untill about 1.5 hr, then Its just a Burn sensation the rest of the Day, I use eye drops Over the Counter, (Viseane) sorry about Spelling That I am horrible in

My Eye Dr. told me to hold on the make-up for a while.

Thank you so much for the quick responses. It really helps to know you are not going crazy when these new random ills appear and there are others who have experienced the same problems. Everyone at Living with PsA have been so supportive, I treasure this website! Michelle

So glad I found this post! I have been having problems with my eyes for about 2 months. First I had pink eye in both eyes which I had treated with anti-bacterial drops. Then after that resolved, I have had itchy, dry eyes and overall discomfort. My eye doc keeps saying it is allergies but i have never had allergies before. I was given prednisone drops along with an anti-histamine & lubricant drops which have helped. He checked for iritis twice and said I do not have inflammation in my eyes but I cant help thinking this is related to PsA. I told my rheumy & she said she doesnt think it is because of my PsA either. It is good to know I am not the only one having eye problems although I wish none of us had to deal with this.