PsA and tendonitis

Wondering if any members have an issue with tendonitis?

In the interests of trying to keep my body moving, I have recently joined a gym. I'm finding fast walking and light jogging on the treadmill difficult due to pain in both lower calves/ankles which I am presuming may be tendonitis. I am trying to manage this by only going to the gym alternate days and making sure I really stretch out the areas before exercise but it is still an issue.

I had the PsA diagnosis earlier this year (which I am still somewhat dubious about) but I have resisted taking any meds at this stage, but try and get regular massages and treat with heat pads.

Tendonitis is most definitely one of the very classic symptoms of PsA. I get PT for it, and have changed the things I do in the gym - I get tendonitis in most places, feet, knees, elbows, shoulders, wrists, but for whatever reason find that a rowing machine barely bothers it, whilst the walking machine can cause it to really flare. There is a very serious spa at my gym, and I’ve learned how to release my IT band (from your hip down the outside of your leg) by actually using the spa jets. Best thing though, is to get the disease under control, and that means dmards and/or biologics. For some time, I couldn’t even walk a full block before I got my disease under control. To keep you in the gym, you are going to need to address that issue.

Enthesitis is a more specific term for what you may be experiencing. It’s very common for folks with PsA to have inflammation of the tendons at the place where they insert into the joints. These insertion sites are called entheses. Just a fun fact for you!

Like, Jen says, PT can really help deal with enthesitis. Ultimately, even if symptoms like pain, fatigue, or inflamed joints are mild, the disease might not be.

I understand resisting treatment with meds if you are not confident in the diagnosis. That’s a really tough spot to be in. Have you thought about getting a second opinion? PsA can be so destructive to the body and I would want to know for sure what exactly was going on.

Tendonitis can be a ridiculously painful part of it. I've had to do PT to work through some of it, and sometimes it includes taking a break from favorite activities. Proper treatment helps too.

I was getting wicked tendonitis in lots of places which finally led to the PsA diagnosis for me. I have found exercising in very warm water, stretching out fully, working with PT and using Salonpas topical pads on the area of insertion very helpful for me. I also do all exercises in a very slow stretchy way not is short choppy movements really helps. If I do my exercises to a cha cha beat I hurt the next day and get red swollen tendons the next day. I think to myself "ballet moves" as I exercise though I think yoga or ti chi might work just as well! Good luck with it.

Hi, I have had a lot of issues with tendonitis. It really got bad the summer of 2012. I had some injuries at work. In addition, tendonitis in one arm. Despite having trouble with a few areas, the doc only recommended physiotherapy for one area. Well, that worked well but the area where I did not received therapy for the injury is now a major area where PsA settled in less than a year later.

I had to stop exercising due to issues with my feet and hands. Sometimes riding a bike is ok but the hand breaks can be a problem.

Heat usually helps. You can buy heating pads that you can use for moist heat. I decided to get one since it was one of the things the physiotherapist used on me and it obviously helped.

From what I have read, PsA often presents itself as tendonitis.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Rheumy I saw did offer NSAIDs but so far I am managing without. Mind you I am going through a pretty good patch at the moment. The only constant pain I have is in my big toe joint and lower back on movement. Oh, and the ankle/calf pain with exercise. He didn't say anything about needing to be on meds for preventative reasons, so I am considering talking to my GP about that. Interestingly he stated that the PsA may be something that goes away with time. All I know is I had psoriasis 15 or so years ago which all but completely went away after tonsillectomy, I am HLA-B27 +ve, and I get killer aches and pain in joint areas on occasion.

The trick is, neither you, nor your rheumy know if it will go away with time (and to be honest, there’s not a whole lot of examples of it “going away with time” - its progressive, which means it gets worse).

It’s very well established that the best chance for both minimising damage and getting into remission (perhaps thats what your rhuemy means by “going away with time”?)is dmards or biologics (and the evidence for biologics is by far the best).

Most importantly, NSAIDs are just treating the symptoms, not the disease at all. Please be aware that NSAIDs kill a surprising number of people every year;

http://www.healthsentinel.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2668:more-hospitalized-from-nsaid-bleeding-than-all-american-war-casualties&catid=5:original&Itemid=24

PsA should always be treated with appropriate medication, and that means dmards or biologics, with limited NSAIDs for symptom control.

Thanks for the info Jen.

I know what you mean. I've had PsA for at least 5 years. Until last year, I was pretty much fine except for the one finger it had damaged. I'm not sure why last year things got worse. Definitely connected to my injuries at work.

I hope it does get better. You never know.

My son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and was told what he ate didn't matter. As well they wanted him on more meds which he refused. Now he's fine on the one type of meds through adjustment of his diet. We went through heck when this thing popped up suddenly. UC is a autoimmune disease, same as PsA. It makes me wonder.

Dini, I have crohns, which developed after the PsA. There is no question that what I eat affects my GI symptoms immensely, but how much it really affects the actual disease isn’t clear.

To make matters even more interesting, my PsA and crohns flares are not usually at the same time - my PsA flares happen because of lack of sleep or rest, and my crohns are due to stress - often it’s the same thing, but sometimes it’s conspicuously different!

Very interesting. Have you tried Probiotics to help with Crohns ? It helped my son a lot.