PsA and pregnant

I came off of all of my medications (Celebrex, Skelaxin, Soma) a week before I found out I was pregnant. I’m now 11 weeks pregnant and my skin is clearing as it did when I was pregnant with my daughter. Since then, my PsA has gotten worse, now in 4 of my lumbar joints as opposed to just one. Today I noticed pain directly in my lower back, like I can actually feel my spine feeling like it wants to snap. I usually get muscle spasms from the spinal inflammation but today it’s different. With my first pregnancy, my aches and pains went away and I felt the best I have in years. I’m really hoping that happens this time. Anybody out there have experience with being pregnant with awful condition?

I found my symptoms went into remission during pregnancy, though I did not know it was PsA at that time. I had a wicked flare post partum though. I thought it was the after effects of a difficult birth. I did have an awful pain in my right groin during the first trimester. It turned out to be a labral tear which was diagnosed by MRI years later. By the second trimester it was better; I suppose the heavy baby wasn't resting directly on my hip by then. I hope your pregnancy goes well and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Thanks, I too had a wicked post partum flare and was not aware that it was PsA at the time. I’ve been waiting to see a rheumy until after I’m done having babies, I wonder if it would be a good idea to see one while being pregnant

Congratulations!

If your GP is comfortable and confident in treating you for PsA while pregnant, that should be fine. But a rheumatologist will be more knowledgeable concerning the different meds. You may also want to look into PT for some of the worst of it.

I had remission with both my pregnancies, and wicked postpartum flares after.

I didn't have a diagnosis until after all of my five kids were born, but have had PsA since childhood. I was actually heading toward diagnosis when I got pregnant with my first.

In my experience, I went into remission during four out of five pregnancies. My pregnancy with my fourth child was painful, as I didn't go into remission and instead had increasing issues with my hips and lower back. Getting on hands and knees and doing "cat" stretches worked well to help alleviate pain, as did hot packs on my lower back, sitting on a birth (or yoga) ball instead of in a chair, and sleeping with a pillow between my legs. The amazing thing was, as soon as I went into labor, ALL the pain left and his labor and birth were amazing (he was 10lbs 14oz at birth - and born at home!).

It would be worth finding out if a rheumy will see you during pregnancy and getting her/his medical opinion on what you can do.

You'll want to see a rheumy during pregnancy anyway, to plan out your post-partum plan of attack. Some meds can't be used while breastfeeding, some can. You'll need to make those choices in advance, because TRUST ME, you don't want to make those decisions like I did while full of hormones, tears, and with a crying baby :)

Yes!!! What Marietta said! If you are planning on breastfeeding, you'll definitely want to have meds set up before giving birth. If your rheumy is unfamiliar with what PsA drugs are compatible with breastfeeding, he can contact Dr. Hale at the InfantRisk Center. (http://www.infantrisk.com/) Dr. Hale is the leading authority on medications and breastfeeding. I was breastfeeding my youngest when I was diagnosed with PsA, and Dr. Hale and the people at InfantRisk were a huge help in giving me the information I needed to be able to continue breastfeeding while getting treatment.

Marietta said:

You'll want to see a rheumy during pregnancy anyway, to plan out your post-partum plan of attack. Some meds can't be used while breastfeeding, some can. You'll need to make those choices in advance, because TRUST ME, you don't want to make those decisions like I did while full of hormones, tears, and with a crying baby :)

Nym- you are a perfect source of advice.

Kristen- If I remember from doing my own research, plaquenil was the safest drug to use during breast feeding, when NSAIDs were no longer sufficient. Your local La Leche League leader (find at llli.org) can help you w/ med info, or you could go straight to the infant risk center.

I also have Dr. Hale's book (Medications and Mother's Milk) and am a breastfeeding counselor, so could look up info for you! :) It has pregnancy risk of drugs as well.

Thanks guys for the support :slight_smile: it’s nice to know there are good people out there who understand what I’m going through