Problems with using the computer

I have been having problems with my hands and wrists and find it painful to use the computer keyboard and mouse etc. and even using one finger on the iphone. This has meant that I am not at work at the moment as a lot of my work needs to be documented on computer. Has anyone experience of a particular keyboard or computer that may make it easier?

There is a program that uses your voice to activate the computer - my nephew has it - I believe it is called 'dragon.' It is essentially voice activated software for your computer.

I had the same issue severl months ago...however the pain was completly in the right hand so my left hand was able to be useful, I have also heard of the voice activated software and that it is very helpful....but I do think it is kinda pricey Good Luck!

There is tons of help in this area now days. Do a web search on speech recognition software and using the web with disabilities for a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Spinningdiva had a great suggestion with dragon. Below is a link to their site.

http://www.nuance.com/landing-pages/dragon/seedragon/?utm_medium=ps&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Dragon&utm_term=+speech_+recognition

and there is much much more to explore with other hardware and applications as well.

I am on the computer/mouse all day for my job too. The morning is the worst time, but I get up, get going and get on the computer to check my personal email/websites to help limber my fingers up. (It is sure slow going with loads of typos at first!) My hands/fingers are so swollen and stiff in the morning, I can barely use my left hand. I have noticed I can no longer squeeze the toothpaste in the morning. Funny how those subtle things start adding up isn't it? (Now I squeeze it with laying it on the counter and using the heel of my hand. CRAZY!) I hope you find some good solutions, the voice recognition software sounds cool!

Thanks very much for these replies. I have started to look into the voice recognition software which may be a good option although I am not sure if this could be used in my work. I have an appointment with Occupational Health in a few weeks so will talk with them about this possibility. My work was principally around working with people when I first started in Social Work, but these days, sitting at the computer writing contact notes and reports etc take most of my day. I suppose I am being hopeful that this problem will not last long as I have only been diagnosed for a few months and the medication has yet to kick in.

If you are employed, your employer is obligated to provide the voice recognition software so you can do your job.

Check with HR. (I’m self employed so I’d have to buy it myself - yes, expensive! You have to compare it to lost work time I guess)

Jacquimary said:

Thanks very much for these replies. I have started to look into the voice recognition software which may be a good option although I am not sure if this could be used in my work. I have an appointment with Occupational Health in a few weeks so will talk with them about this possibility. My work was principally around working with people when I first started in Social Work, but these days, sitting at the computer writing contact notes and reports etc take most of my day. I suppose I am being hopeful that this problem will not last long as I have only been diagnosed for a few months and the medication has yet to kick in.

This is very helpful information. I'm glad you asked the questions, Jacquimary. Thanks for the links, Ron and Spinning Diva.