Prednisone side effects

Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone else had similar side effects to me. I recently had a bad flare up whilst waiting for the change of meds to remicade was taking effect. I took my prednisone as directed and as I have done before with flare ups. I take 25mg to start with and tailor off by half doses. On the 25mg my pain significantly decreased, the psoriasis cleared up dramatically great new eh. Trouble is I was wired, suffered anxiety, aggitation and sleep was very difficult despite being tired. I work full time and this was not what I needed! Verbal diarrhea!!!! Yikes. Couldn't sit still, couldn't stop talking but couldn't find the words to think things through properly either. Had to reduce the dose and yes the pain is back and so is the psoriais. Trying to work out if the reaction was cos of the prenisone or cos of bipolar or something else.

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar reaction?

Thanks

If you’re bipolar, so am I. Prednisone does wonders for my pain, but that’s the exact reaction my brain has to prednisone as well. I also develop distinctively witch-like characteristics. My poor husband! When I get bad, he begs me not to take prednisone … he’s in luck, because my GP is very reluctant to prescribe it. For me, taking prednisone just replaces one kind of suffering with another. Still it’s a useful bridging drug in some situations like yours.

Thanks for replying Seenie. It all gets so complicated and then I just want to hide away from the world and to a large extent that's exactly what I do.

People I thought were my friend make comments like, "Well you can't come dancing cos of your arthritis" and even though I protest at decisions beit hurts hugely to be left out and to know that is what they really think of me.

Another reason to hide again.

Seems like this world is for others and that i don't belong in it :(

Yes I too had a dreadful experience with prednisone. I was on 60mg a day. It was pure hell. The pain was better but I had severe insomnia that lasted for weeks. I was roaming the house all night long,and running on fumes. I had to and am still taking klonopin just so i can get some sleep.

Yes I too have that reaction to prednisone. My husband says I am manic but I feel anxiety and can't sit still or sleep. It is an awful feeling. I don't take prednisone any more. I find it harder to deal with than the pain and stiffness.

Hi Jane,

I suspect that 25mg is a high dose for you. Some people tolerate it better than others. I had to take 20mg for months and, yes, I got the verbal diarrhea and the anxiety and the breathless days of whirring activity. But that all dissipated with time. If you need another prednisone boost in the future maybe you could go up to just 20mg. I'll bet that's enough to help. Recently I had to take some to get me through a rough patch and even one pill a day (5mg) was enough to help. Hope you get to feeling back to your usual self soon.

Oh, and as for "friends"... sounds like you either need to reassess your definition (because what you describe doesn't sound like the actions or comments of real friends) or you need to find some new ones! You do, of course, deserve a wonderful and rich and fulfilling life. Your disease just puts certain limitations on you. That's all! Hang in there.