Pain relief

What does everyone do/take for pain relief? I am in so much pain today that I was nearly in tears taking my kids to school as it was just so painful to walk. Nothing the dr gives me helps and I just am so fed up and tired now:( the only thing I find is a really hot bath helps for a bit but obviously as soon as I’m out the pain is back.

I don't take anything for pain relief, but I do use some different strategies. Heat is my favorite. But you also may need to speak with the doctor about better disease control.

Hi Vickie

I am so sorry you are having so much pain :( Fall is ALWAYS particularly difficult for me. May I ask what you are taking now? Can you dr. give you a prednisone step-down pack to help you through this tough time before new meds start working?

I understand how tough it is dealing with kids. When my kids were younger I went through a period of hardly being able to walk. Picking them up at school and walking that little bit to their classroom was all I could do in a day.

I have a pile of "temporary" coping meds, like NSAID's (I'm only using topical now), prednisone, narcotic pain medication (Tylenol-3, Percocet), as well as things like naps, heating pads, caffeine, paraffin bath for hands. I use mobility helps like splints, compression gloves, canes, etc. when needed. I have a disabled parking pass as well, which brings out the side-eye from other parents at the school, because I 'look fine', but it helps.

Basically, if I'm having to use a pile of the temporary coping meds / items, after I've been on my meds for a couple months, I know the medication isn't doing enough and I need to change something. Better disease control is always the goal.

I am currently taking methotrexate, fenactol, co-dydramol and amitriptyline. My gp is trying to get me back in to see my consultant to talk about my meds as havent been seen for over yr. I don’t drive so have to walk everywhere and it is starting to take its toll it’s an hr round trip to school. I think I need to be more pushy with dr this is all new to me so I just do what he tells me which has now cost me mum job as been off for sor long:( is it to much to ask just to be able to walk pain free

hi Vicki. Sorry you’re in a rough spot. You prescribed the best course of action yourself–getting proactive with your doctor. It’s a must. And, no, it isn’t too much to ask to walk pain free which is why you need to be seen much more regularly than once a year. I hope you get an appointment soon and that you strongly advocate for yourself. All good wishes.

Vicki said:

I think I need to be more pushy with dr ( is it to much to ask just to be able to walk pain free