Pain meds, who needs them, who takes them?

Oxycodone (endone) which is a semi-synthetic opoid. Why? It was prescibed and works I guess ... I haven't put much thought into it.

Thank you JenAus. I find rainy, cold weather makes my pain worse, also. I live in Oregon so that's a real problem. I really do need a vacation!

JenAus said:

Even after a short time, I find that if I take opioids I get a tolerance to them, so I do my best to keep them for sleep time during flares. Paracetamol is pointless, Ibuprofen does very little, so given the long term effects can be major, I rarely use it. Other NSAIDS are out, due to an allergic reaction to meloxicam. So really, I end up ramping steroids up and down. Not a great solution either as it's like living on a roller coaster!

Like Lamb and Allan though, I actually find getting some exercise (which may just be limping for a short bit), particularly somewhere soothing for the soul, like the beach, has a major positive impact on how well I manage and respond to the pain. For example, I'm starting to hurt and get grumpy because it's been raining, dark, and cold for two days! :) (and I live in a warm place - I don't know how you guys in the cold wet climates cope)

The main advantage of synthetics is they have a longer half life. (some) The other advantage is they don't necessarily produce Euphoria (some) which allows the smae drug to be used at the same dose for a longer period of time.

Some of the semi's have the same advantage in terms of half life.

Actually I should mention that the pain manag. Dr. gave me a prescription for hydromorphone. I didn't get the presc. filled because the cost was $1100.00 for 2 months worth.

Dilaudid is some nasty stuff. What kind of pain management clinic are you going to, more and more are using anesthesiologists trained i pain management? If one of your primary pain sourcesis the nerve stuff going on in your wrist... Consider seeing an anesthesiologist who does continuous trigeminal nerve blocks with local anesthetics using an indwelling catheter if your clinic doesn't have one.. It won't control the pain , it will eliminate it. Once that is gone you might be amazed at how quickly the rest can get under control.....

This was once a procedure used for race horses and pro football players so you know its good. I have experience with this and it was wonderful.......

the electro stuff is usually spine, there are a few beliver but it seems more an implmanted TENs than anything. Although the nerves are pinpointed

I have taken Meloxicam and currently take Tramadol daily. Just had to call my rheumy because the Vicodin I was using (I was actually doubling it) stopped working. She put me on Celebrex. How will I know if it is working? Will it reduce the pain?

Lamb, if I ever get anywhere close to Euphoria, I will surely let you all in on the fun!

tntlamb said:

The main advantage of synthetics is they have a longer half life. (some) The other advantage is they don't necessarily produce Euphoria (some) which allows the smae drug to be used at the same dose for a longer period of time.

Some of the semi's have the same advantage in terms of half life.

Buickboy, surely you have much stronger pain meds than I do, but Opana just went generic and is called Oxymorphone, for 60 tabs at 10mg. I am racking my brain, but think it was somewhere around $50.00, I pay 25% at the Pharmacy. That is not the exact amount, give or take $10. either way. For the last 5 years had taken 5mg of Opana, for 100 tabs was about $100. at 25%. He would give me a prescription for about 2 months, would still have some left a year and a half later.

BuickBoy said:

Actually I should mention that the pain manag. Dr. gave me a prescription for hydromorphone. I didn't get the presc. filled because the cost was $1100.00 for 2 months worth.

Yes, I am seeing an anesthesiologist/pain management Dr. Board certified I might add!

Perhaps you should ask him about what lamb suggested, sounds like a winner to me!

Thats good (if you were getting more relief) Too often pain centers are a clinical psychologist who will teach you to hum, phsiatrist who will find new ways to make you hurt, and drug pusher who will medicacte you until it doesn't work any more and then call you crazy before they show you the door. and care more about keeping the feds happy and enforcing your "med contract" than your pain. They have closed more than a few down.

BuickBoy said:

Yes, I am seeing an anesthesiologist/pain management Dr. Board certified I might add!

I know it works because my pain quickly escalates when I stop taking it but as it gradually reduced the pain I wasn't sure it was doing any good when i first started on it.
achy said:

I have taken Meloxicam and currently take Tramadol daily. Just had to call my rheumy because the Vicodin I was using (I was actually doubling it) stopped working. She put me on Celebrex. How will I know if it is working? Will it reduce the pain?

For me mediation is just part of a combined therapy approach to this illness and its pain. As the body and mind react on each other I find mediation and exercise help relieve the stress and we know stress makes us worse. Good medication to stop the flares does the same thing and good painkilling medication helps me get through the worse periods. Thinking I can rely on just one therapy has not worked for me, so the psychologist, the physiotherapist and the drug dispenser are all vital tools in my coping.

tntlamb said:

Thats good (if you were getting more relief) Too often pain centers are a clinical psychologist who will teach you to hum, phsiatrist who will find new ways to make you hurt, and drug pusher who will medicacte you until it doesn't work any more and then call you crazy before they show you the door. and care more about keeping the feds happy and enforcing your "med contract" than your pain. They have closed more than a few down.

BuickBoy said:

Just in case some of ya don't know what RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) is I thought I'd show you what it can look like! Not looking for any sympathy, just thought that having one chronic pain condition was enough. Probably can't tell from the pics but no hair grows on the thumb-side of my hand. The palm-side of my hand looks like an old mans hand. Muscle atrophy has set in because of improper or lack of nerve signals. Gotta tell a funny story. Last summer on an extremely hot day my wife, daughter and I went for a bike ride. We stopped and I noticed that my hand felt really cold (do to lack of circulation) so my biking partners used the back of my hand to cool off their heads. At least I'm good for something!

753-RDS2.JPG (17.2 KB) 754-RSD3.JPG (17.1 KB) 755-RSD1.JPG (20.1 KB)

Like your sense of humour. funny thing but a friend has Raynauds syndrome and we have used his hands for the same.