Pain is not a good indicator of disease activity

My Joint space narrowing AT age 36 was attributed to OA. I guess I must “just” have an unusually early, bad case of OA.

1 Like

That is the assumption. I’ve definitely had an inflammatory issue there. I had a rough stretch with my hips five or six years ago, when I had x rays. I’m guessing that it’s more significant now, possibly bone spurs. Apparently I’ve started making bone spurs all over now.

Sorry about that link. The correct one is:

technically put but from the study:

*the classical pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL-1 and TNF, that are commonly released in PsA are also involved in OA [62, 76, 77]. In addition, regulatory-type cytokines such as TGF-β play key roles in tissue repair and also facilitate pro-inflammatory reactions [104, 105]. nflammation in OA may be triggered by danger signals released on tissue damage, including hyaluronin fragments, fibronectin and necrotic fragments of tissue [106], and similar danger signals may be initiators of PsA, but this is less well defined. Therefore common triggering mechanisms at the enthesis could result in either a predominant degenerative or a predominant inflammatory phenotype or a mixture of the two

Pretty much sums it up.

6 Likes

Thanks for that tntlamb. I’ve stumbled across this article before but didn’t know if it was any good so it’s particularly helpful to have your recommendation.

Not exactly easy reading! I guess there’s a reason rheumies don’t usually give us chapter & verse :grin: Confirms (I think) my assumption that it’s complicated!

This bit encouraged me to persevere with the article:

While degeneration or inflammation may be clearly discernible at the two extremes, there may be a group of patients where differentiation is impossible.

There’s also a passing reference to the possibility of more of an overlap between the two diseases than we laypeople usually think, which is something I have heard of before.

2 Likes

Show off! :wink:

3 Likes

This discussion brings to mind my last appointment with the ignorant jerk assistant doc at my current, not for long, rheumatologist. He plain and simple said he doesn’t believe I have any type of autoimmune disease or rheumatic diseases. It’s all “just” OA ! Yep exact words. I’m not sure what he’s basing this on except he said I have no plaques. That’s it.

Reading what everyone else has been told helps me understand to a point that I’m not the only one that has been told that.

The search for another rheumatologist is on big time tho.

1 Like