OK gang, here I am in the Emotional Support ward

It does help to “dump” indeed. Sadly, my chances of doing so in person are rather limited. As you know, I have bipolar too, and asked for some counselling as things have been really quite bad recently. I had an assessment yesterday to see what my needs were. I was told the waiting list on the NHS was a year. It was hinted at that if I were suicidal I might stand more chance. Bit late if you got to that stage!

Oh that is so discouraging. A year’s wait list to start addressing your mental health needs? That’s ridiculous. You’re right, when the blood’s already on the floor, it’s a bit late, and dealing with the problem is going to be much more expensive than it would have been when it started. Get me going!

Exactly. I’ve had the bipolar for twenty years or so, but it seemed yesterday that I was at the back of the queue as I’d managed to cope for that long so far. What’s another year - as Johnny Logan once sang (you’ll have no idea who he is, I now realise, as you’re not in the UK!)

Wasn’t he from the eighties? My goodness, how old do you think I am?

I have no idea of your age, I confess. lol I just had no idea he made it the US. I was but a small lad, wandering around the house, pretending I was singing into a kettle lead when he won the Eurovision song contest! As you do. The lead beat the hairbrush hands down!

Hugs Seenie! Scary stuff but mostly fixable too. But just big hugs. You’ll be amazed at how unpatchwork they’ll make you be. How is it all now?

Duuuuhhhhh darinfan, it has only taken me three weeks to press “Reply”! I wrote this and then moved on to something else. Anyway, better late than never.

LOL I’m plenty old enough to remember the eighties very well! :scream:

Have no idea where he is from, only that he won European song contests. You must have been so c.u.t.e with your kettle lead. Hehehe :heart_eyes:

I was more likely to have been annoying than cute, I think! And it all goes full circle - I’m doing my first full gig in ten years next month. I had gotten down with the arthritis and the bipolar, and ended up going to an open mic night to support a friend who was running it, and did a few songs. This was about eighteen months ago, and I’ve been doing them regularly. Just three songs at a time, something like that. But realised it would give me quite a boost if i could pull off a full gig again, and so that’s what I’m doing. It’s been a while, so we’ll see how it goes. I feel like I’m in training for it at the moment - singing for two hours is going to be like doing a marathon!

I also had a letter from the hospital telling me my consultant has been changed. I thought that was bad news to start with, until I did some looking up on the web of the new consultant, and there are many people online praising her for working with the patient and discussing options with them rather than simply telling them to take this or take that. So, that’s quite positive too. I was going to ask about the option of biologics anyway - changing meds is really difficult with the bipolar, but at the moment the arthritis is making the bipolar worse and vice versa so something’s gotta give! So, the new consultant sounds like a good match for me given the various things that affect each other.

2017 might just be the year it turns out ok. Here’s hoping. x

Hey Poo! Well, one of my best friends was over the other day and she said “what are they talking about, I can’t see anything wrong with your nose.” And she’s right, I have to stretch the skin or squeeze the tip in order to see that, yes, something isn’t quite right. I had mentioned the healing issues in the summer to the doc, but the way it is now, I’d never bother about it. Thank goodness we know what’s hiding there.

I’ve got the detailed biopsy results and what I have is an infiltrative basal cell carcinoma. That’s the kind that I’ve seen referred to as “insidious” and “covert”. Apparently this type can grow into the cartilage and nerves. What’s on the surface gives no clue about what’s underneath, so who knows what they’ll find when they start digging. I’m really glad that I chose to have the surgery done at the largest Moh’s clinic in the province: I’ll have to go to Toronto (again) but there are three surgeons there who do dozens of these procedures every year. If I get away with only a skin closure, I will consider myself very lucky. Nose reconstruction somehow doesn’t sound like something I’d like. :mask: I really don’t want my schnoz to be a conversation piece.

I’m encouraged by everybody’s kind words, and I’ve got myself pretty well briefed on how it all works and what they could possibly need to do. I’m to the point now where I’m saying “Whatever will be, will be, and I’ll just deal with it”. That’s a good place to be, and you helped me get there. Thanks. People here really are the best.

1 Like

Aw, Seenie, that’s a great attitude! It must be hard to stay positive. It’s like, what next??? I hope it all goes smoothly and the skin closure is all they need to do. I love “I really don’t want my schnoz…” it made me LOL, even though it’s not a funny outcome at all! You just have such a way with words. There’s another person here with the same wit–the two of you together could be a class comedy act. Keep up the positive attitude! :grin:

Thanks GrandmaJ. The truth is, that’s my game face. I get discouraged and depressed and mope around and think “Why me?” That happens plenty, trust me.

The truth is, though, that I believe that, to a certain extent, behaviour can precede attitude. If you put on your game face, if you carry on with determination and positivity (even though that may be the last thing that you fell like doing just now) it does help temper the negative thoughts. Up to a point, anyway.

So please don’t think that I’m Little Miss Positivity 24/7. I have my moments, really I do.

A classy comedy act you say? Who is my co-star going to be?

You can’t guess who that person is? Does CG help?

Hahaha Ok yes you are rIght. So right.

Oh Seenie, you are such a strong person with a great attitude. How many people reach out when they need a pick me up then remember how much the strength of positivity can enable us to overcome ? Not many these days…Que sera sera…
Now about this comedy act when can buy tickets?? You and Sybil, totally there! Hey maybe a guest appearance with Grandma J and you guys could bring down the house, lol!

Rachael
I tell you … that’s my game face. But I’m trying! (As my husband would say, “Yes, you are very trying.”)

But game faces are good: the longer you wear them the more it becomes part of you. Before I was diagnosed, I truly believed what my doctor thought: that I was weak, and a complainer. Don’t get me started.

Me and @Sybil ? ROFL you should have been there the day we really did get together in person. Yes, we did! OMG … we had such a good time. Wait, I guess I shouldn’t speak for her, maybe she thought I was just a crashing bore. I had a good time, anyway.

Good idea we could do a PsA Review. I nominate @tntlamb to be the master of ceremonies!

2 Likes

That was a red letter day for me Seenie! I really enjoyed meeting up with you & like to think we’ll meet again. Who’d have thunk that having some stupid disease could lead to meeting such great people? I’ve made some good friends here and not just because they ‘get it’ on the PsA front, just really interesting and lovely people regardless of PsA. Plus many more I may not know so well but I enjoy their posts for the insight into others’ lives across the world and because I admire how they deal with things.

1 Like

I would like to meet with ALL of you!!! Can we have a LWPsA get-together??? And, Rachael, somehow I don’t think I have the wit to match them but you might laugh at me for other reasons!!! ('Cause I’m a real 63-year old dork!)

HAHAHA don’t underestimate yourself, Grandma J! And don’t overestimate the rest of us.

Me, I think we need to do a PsA cruise. Perfect environment: accessible, no barriers, pool, gym, no cooking or cleaning and healthy food. I will bring along a friend who is a recently retired physiotherapist and she can lead aquaphysio with us. We’ll be able to socialize and moan about this disease 24/7 and we will laugh ourselves silly. That’s what I think we should do.

Who’s in?

Seenie

PS I know I’m hijacking this thread but it’s my thread and I’ll hijack it if I want. So there.

2 Likes

When do we set sail???

2 Likes

I’m so in. :ship: :beach: :sunrise:

2 Likes