Now my skin has joined the party!

Yep. Regulate, or modulate, is definitely more representative of how they work. Interestingly if you go into the details of TNF-a, there is more than one type, and they can do different things, and what they do depends on lots of variables - the type of TNF-a, what type of cell gave birth to it, which receptor it is “docking” with, where in the body it is… really interesting stuff but way past me to even understand half of it, let alone explain it!

I’m just pleased there are some super-smart scientists out there who do understand a lot of it, and are continuing to research it - who knows - perhaps one day they’ll find the “off” switch for autoimmune diseases!

Glyphosate (Roundup) is a herbicide. Many plants like wheat, barley, and corn have been genetically modified so they resist glyphosate, and they are marketed to growers as “Roundup Ready.” This allows the growers to spray these GMO crops with Roundup to kill the unwanted weeds in the fields, leaving the crop plants unharmed. They also spray Roundup on the ripening stalks of wheat to dry them out and make harvesting more efficient. So the consumer winds up eating a lot of glyphosate that is an herbicide. This herbicide does not directly harm human tissues, but it kills off a lot of beneficial gut flora, harming your body in the long run. --NancyJ

The only problem with that is that no GMO “roundup ready” grains are commercially grown (at least in the US or Canada.) Our natural “gut Flora” breaks down Glophosphate. In this case Snopes is your friend. There was a story circulating a number of years ago that Crops were being sprayed with roundup 10 - 14 days before harvest in order to increase yield. The story was that Roundup was being used as a desiccant. The problem with is that over 80% of wheat is “Winter Wheat” (actually its hard red varieties some are sown in the spring particularly durum which is the source of Semolina flour used to make pasta. Winter wheat does not respond to desiccants. The soft and white varieties that do rspond don’t use roundup (its not very effective) almost all of these varieties (again MAYBE 10% of harvest) are used for bakery flours and cake mixes.

The problem isn’t wheat. The dessicants other than in Cake flour, feed corn (we don’t eat its but cattle do) barley (none used for malting) and especially lentils. (what many folks skipping wheat choose instead)

So what about “roundup Ready” grains. They aren’t being grown yet, but the hope is they will. You see glyphospate quickly and naturally breaks down and essentially will only bind to soil not the grain itself. Basically not harmful to humans anyway, if this is successful will be a boon for health. if you ask any grain grower including three of uncles and brother in law (though Larry is basically doing Bison these Days) you will find the number one issue they deal with is not drying their grain for harvest (Dri-rite is much cheaper than glyphosphate) but rather wild oats that can effect production worse than drought. I basically earned every dime from age 12 through HS driving a tractor all summer spraying all manner of nasty stuff to kill wild oats. That stuff made roundup look like spring water. if we can ever have roundup ready grains, we’ll all be better off.

In any event this is a non problem.

That being said because of the glycemic effect of grains and other carb sources we all with PsA are much better of avoiding them. I don’t know that you need to go Keto, Atkins etc. but you likely will feel much better if you do.

Interesting stuff, Tntlamb! --NancyJ