Never thought I'd ever day this!

Can’t believe I’m looking forward to taking my MTX dose tonight…had to stay off it for several weeks on the advice from the hospital pharmacist because the antibiotics and MTX weren’t compatible.
This week I’ve struggled with severe fatigue, numerous plaques starting body wide, and just got stuck on my evening walk with some of the worst SI pain I’ve ever experienced… Lots of swearing involved!
Who would have thought a drug that can take so long to start working, would be missed in such a short time!
Any one else get symptoms back only a few weeks after stopping MTX?

I have never stopped PsA. I was on oral, now I inject 22.5 mg a week to help the biologics work better by suppressing my enthusiastic immune system!

I am so happy to see you back on the boards Louise! And with your humor intact!

I have wicked SI/hip pain. They tell me it is from deformity L4-5, labral tear and tendons that oare "torturous"-couldn't have said it better myself but that is how the MRI read. Too funny but also painful!

When I am flairing I stay off of it. I take hot baths and put Salonpas on it. When I get completely stir crazy I go out and about with a cane and frequent rests. Good luck and welcome back my friend!

I did not think that the Mtx was working for me at all. I asked myself why am I taking this when it is not doing anything for me. I was a bit naughty so I stopped for two weeks. I was so wrong and I got so bad. I wasn't too bad on the first week but after missing the second weekly dose I could hardly move. What I think happened is either one of two things. My body has got use to relying on Mtx or I was at that time actually getting worse. Then I went on Embrel and I have improved. I am on a new road of trying alternative medicines that might also help me live a better life. I hope you improve real soon

Thanks guys,

I had to laugh when I got home after my walk..........a group of lads went to go past me as I was holding on to someone's front wall in agony, I was swearing to myself and telling the PsA (as I often do) "you just wait til I get you home! I'm gonna kick the S*** out of you!" or something much along those lines.......they walked in to the road to avoid "the mad drunk woman" lol maybe a new strategy to try for womans self defence........act like a nutter lol

I'm waiting to see what the MRI shows for my SI, The original report on the x-rays said there was no sign of damage but then my rheumatologist looked them over and spoke to the consultant radiologist and they agreed the report was wrong and so ordered MRIs

I have often thought I should stand on our porch and fire a gun in the air! I think being a nutter might keep us alll safe! See how easily I picked up your lingo (nutter!) I am also working on blending in.......If I were invisible it would be even safer!

I just took MTX for 6 months, and then switched. I was far better after I switched. But thanks for giving me a good laugh Louise! I was totally giggling at your description of you talking to yourself.

LOL, they probably thought you were an escapee … but from where? Thanks for the chuckle, Louise!

Thanks for posting Louise as I'm a newbie and saw the rheumotolgist today for the first time. He wants to put me on Methotrexate and the first thing I though was will I lose my hair? Now I'm just looking forward to feeling better..Thanks for telling the good things about such a wicked drug.

LOL Louise!!! Thanks for the story. I am American and particularly fond of some British slang...nutter being one of my favs.

Hi Julittle,

I'll be honest, loosing my hair has been one of the horrors that's always been lurking at the back of my mind during this treatment. I tell myself its irrational and its only hair but...........its part of how I see myself, part of me that I think makes me who I am. I was so afraid of starting MTX for all the side effect reasons, but its been ok, sure I get nauseous,'sofa days' post dose sometimes, but so what :)

I'm aware that this is the start of the treatment road, PsA is part of me (a part I don't like) but I am still me in all my glory and I won't let it change me

Good luck x

julittle said:

Thanks for posting Louise as I'm a newbie and saw the rheumotolgist today for the first time. He wants to put me on Methotrexate and the first thing I though was will I lose my hair? Now I'm just looking forward to feeling better..Thanks for telling the good things about such a wicked drug.

Louise thank you for understanding my fear. Did you loose hair? I know it’s only hair but you hit the nail on the head, it’s part of who I am. I’ve always had long hair… Thank you Julia

My hair is the same as it’s always been: fine, straight, limp, dirty blonde. I was hoping for thick, wavy and silver grey. sigh

Nope, never lost any hair on MTX but because I have higher than normal testosterone levels (due to PCOS) I have gone slightly thin on the top and front, possible male pattern baldness........don't think anyone other than myself and my hairdresser are aware though. :) Also find that using Henna from the company Lush thickens my hair up a bit. really messy and time consuming but my hair feels and looks great afterwards. x

Your Ladies are just too much. I'm so thankful that I found a site that offers support. The beginning of a new diagnosis is so very stressful. I'm wondering if I will still be able to work in the future and how can afford all of this, on top of the whole hair issue. It's bad enough that my nails are falling off and doc says that the bone in a couple of joints has started breaking down but oh no, not my hair...Vanity is all it is but what can a girl do about that? My dr says he will give me folate and some sort of injection 6 hours after methotrexate to help prevent hair loss. We shall see because you all are going to have to endure some of this with me as I go kicking and screaming down the road of PsA.