Need input on Methotrexate vs. Humira

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am starting MTX on Tuesday. I’m not sure if/when we will add in Humira, but here goes! Wish me luck!

Good luck! :slight_smile: it made a huge difference for me, I cross my fingers for you :slight_smile:

Lol lamb trust you! But ladies…a naughty outfit is a treat most men love and…you can get anything past them when they are too busy oggling to listen :wink:

tntlamb said:

Maybe you could get him a naughty nurse outfit and… Oh nevermind. I’m glad things are working for you…

Tirezza said:

< I look forward to every other Tuesday. Monday nights I cheerfully tell my husband, "Don’t forget! I get a shot I’m just so glad that he doesn’t mind giving the shot. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I would give a lot to be on a biologic, but still have to do my time on MTX, being in the UK I have to go through the step up treatment ladder, but at least I wont have to pay for the treatment when I eventually (hopefully) get on it.
You do need to treat PsA aggressively and it sounds like you’re getting your head round the need to get on some meds to help dampen down the immune system
Goid luck x

Here’s hoping it does help Laura…great post by the way :slight_smile: but I do have my doubts that it will make any difference anytime soon, but we can only live in hope that the politics doesn’t get in the way

Different things work for different folks. I have a severe case of PsA and Enbrel works the best for me, along with a walking exercise program, no dairy/red meat/processed foods. Doing those keeps my PsA in check. (OK, once in awhile I have dairy, can't go completely without it!). The Doc had me on Humira last year, and it did absolutely nothing for me, and I had a 4 month flare last autumn. (He said that according to the research Humira is better for PsA, but that was not true in my case). Then they put me on Methotrexate, which slowly worked.

Hi,

Your story is so much like mine. I tried for a full year to avoid any kind of medication until I finally had to give in. For me MTX did not work. I began to have side effects… Pneumonia for the first time in my life and severe hair loss. I was also put on Plaquenil but I broke out in a very bad rash. I had my first humira shot yesterday courtesy of the Abbvie foundation. I could not afford the 1k per shot after my insurance paid their part. I was and am super scared of the side effects. My Dr has agreed to pull my blood once a month for me when it is usually every two to three months just to put my mind at ease. I have a four yr old and I am hoping to be able to take a walk around the neighborhood with her again. Or jump out of bed when she wakes up and not take an hour to get my joints oiled up and be able to stand straight. Some times the risks outweigh our current quality of life. I hope whichever you choose works out for you. Best of luck.

I did a posting a long time ago and worth re-posting.

The warnings you hear about MTX and the biologics are a legal CYA type stuff and a very low rate of occurrence. We all started out with a fear of these famous dire warnings but once I began getting the straight facts from others on this list I began to calm down. I also talked to a brother-in-law who is a pharmacist at a well known medical facility and ALL have said (including my brother-in-law) it is better on the meds than not.

In fact I look forward to my weekly popping my MTX and two days later taking my weekly Humira shot as these allow me to live much better than without them. Pain and great functionality problems were the picture before meds and now I can sit up in bed and not be overpowered by pain and can open my car door (almost unable to do that before meds). Thank God for the meds.

Yes, I echo that. Enbrel saved me. But even with Enbrel, my workday goes over 7 hours and I am drained. Fortunately, I work for myself and can take breaks during the day and don't have to commute. I work 3 days on, 1 day off and repeat. : )