Nasal sores

I think I am talking about two things but failed to distinguish that from initial comment. Sores around the nose and in the nose relating to bacteria or fungus issues. Both of these are bothersome and can lead to other bigger issues. Then the other cause where it can progress to a full blown infection. The first account of fungus and or bacterial issues around sensitive areas like the nose and mouth. The second is a bit different in that antibiotics are needed. The latter being the more serious problem. I hope that makes sense.

1 Like

I see what you mean, often the herpes zoster virus taking hold when the immune system is compromised- cold sores in other words.

1 Like

It’s so good @Katie909 that you have such a good consultant. I feel the same way about mine. It’s also why I travel nearly 200 miles to see her. However the research issues I was talking about wasn’t about him finding out what others have done.

Most consultants are also ‘researchers’ in their own right, it’s how they progress their careers and their reputations at least initially anyhow. It’s how they get rated by their peers, (rather than patients) on their expertise. It’s how symposiums on how best to treat their patients get going. It’s how to ensure best practise in clinic etc. What they produce is what NICE considers (ever so slowly) on what it will fund on the NHS. They tender for grants to undertake research and then publish their finding in medical journals, as well as treating us patients. They are huge influencers of the ‘powers that be’.

What I’m on the ‘soapbox’ about is the present lack of initiative in my view anyway of any proposed research on learning more about the drugs already in existence. There’s loads on joint counting initiatives (presently just changed in the UK at least, it’s finally going up to 74 joints to be counted rather than just 68), loads on treatment protocols, masses on why ‘new to the market drugs’ should be given NICE funding, but precious little on learning more about the quirks of the drugs already in existence. That’s my point really.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying and bow to your greater knowledge of the subject. My Consultant is Head of Rheumatology and also does research and writes papers for Arthritis Research UK, but the search for new treatments does seem paramount, rather than understanding more about current drugs. I get that :blush: That’s why I keep a diary of progress, unusual symptoms/side effects etc to tell him when I see him.

Have a good day :blush: