Movement / Exercise

Movement is essential as a "complimentary therapy" for psoriatic arthritis, and even more important for those of us with ankylosing spondylitis.

What do you do to get your body moving?

I'm hoping to get back on the regular exercise bandwagon once the weather warms up. I've been struggling to move enough during the day and recently invested in a stand for my bicycle so I can use it as an exercise bike - and see if my body can handle biking, as my husband wants us to ride together this Summer while our kids are at camp. Now to figure out how the heck this contraption works!

If you do PT - how many times a week do you go? What do you do there?

If not, what type of exercise do you find most beneficial?

I like to dance while my children duck and cover from embarrassment. My favorite song at the moment is "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. I like to do the Carlton dance from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air while listening to that song. I get the most moans and groans from the girls when I do that dance. :) I try to do my warm up exercises that I have learned from tai chi every day and then tai chi class every week at the YMCA. We also try to walk at a nearby park every day. That only happens when the weather is nice. I have found tai chi to be the most beneficial. It really has helped me with balance issues.

Definately the Tai Chi has my vote too, was taught it by my OT several years ago and do it every day (have been know to do a bit during much break if I’m having a bad day).

Try to walk every day even if its just to the little shop round the corner for a paper or a pint of milk.

Swimming, haven’t been since just after Christmas as I’ve been too fatigued, but may go tomorrow if I can.

Lastly a bit of “hows your father” :wink: (the British amongst us will know this one) not sure if the saying has made it elsewhere. Good release of endorphins

My chuckle for the day, Louise Hoy –
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=How’s%2520your%2520father

My favorite is a program called Classical Stretch... sort of Tai Chi and Yoga in motion. Very slow and easy, no impact but stretching, stretching, stretching and working all muscle groups. It is on our local PBS station but the website had DVDs for sale (I am not affiliated in any way with them,just a great program for me). I try to walk as much as possible but sometimes is not possible.

Very funny.

Seenie said:

My chuckle for the day, Louise Hoy --
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=How's%2520your%2520father

Yep trust me to lower the tone of the conversation but a good workout with a loved one is good for you :slight_smile:

I use a stationary bike the one where you sit down. If my knees are good, I go for a good ole fashion walk.

I've finally found what works for me, which is 30 minutes at level 10 resistance on the recumbent bike, 3 times a week. I get my heart rate up to about 130 and I sweat my face off. I need a knee replacement and every day, on the bike, was too much, according to my ortho doc, and was causing an increase in my pain. Cycling 3 times a week works better for me. I hope to join the water aerobics class soon, and do that on alternate days.

I’m glad you found the right level for you Mimi, its not easy to find the right level.

I’ve started my way back into the exercise routine after this last flare. Tried swimming about 3 weeks ago…a 20 min swim with a break every 3 lengths of a half sized pool, and spent the rest of the day in bed! So tried a swim yesterday decided I would just do what felt ok and managed 25 mins with 2 stops and felt ok all day :slight_smile: still trying to do walks every evening but don’t always manage that. Going to try and swim at least twice next week and see how I go :slight_smile:

Oh, I hope it goes well ! It's so hard, on those really rough days. I will admit to some of my "motivation" includes an 80mg shot of kenalog in my knee that very obviously helped me systemically, plus 10 mg of prednisone a day right now to bridge me into my next biologic trial with Simponi Aria.....I wish I could swim. I hate getting water in my eyes and ears and nose and the chlorine turns my platinum hair a lovely green. So I keep my head above water and move around as much as I can. The thing I really love about the water is being able to stretch. If I could find a physical therapist that specializes in water therapy, I would be willing to but a bathing cap on and go for it !

I hate water on my face too. I keep my head well above water, pretend I look like a graceful swan! :wink:

I love warm water exercise that was taught to me by PT. It is a combination of yoga and dance and looks a bit like Tia Chi. It really helps with making me stretched out. I don't like water on my face either and don't want to have to do my hair again.

I have been moving a lot more the past few months and now find the day's I don't move I have increased pain. My goal is to walk 5k at least 4 days weekly and have met and sometimes exceeded that goal. Since my current treatment seems to be working, I have also added light weights a few days weekly. I hope to go back to work next month.

Hope you get there TaraLynn, I’m hoping I’m going back too next month :slight_smile: Have done 2 swims this week without having to resort to bed after, another planned for tomorrow morning. Have booked myself in to Aqua Zumba (!!) on Monday. Used to love doing normal Zumba classes before my first big flare, loved the energy and pace of the music and really letting rip. Did try aqua zumba last year but was totally embarrassed when I leapt out the water with a big “whoop!” like you would in a normal zumba class…obviously not done in the aqua one as all of middle England turned to look at me with surprise! Whoops!

Seen the new instructor who’s Latin and you can hear the whoops shouts and laughter from the changing rooms, so I though Ill have me some of that. Even if I can just gig along to the music and jump and shout, reckon it will do me good! Wish me luck x

Wonderful Louise! I wish we had a pool here! Hopefully one day we will move to an area that has one. Aqua Zumba sounds like a blast!! Good luck!! <3

Louise Hoy said:

Hope you get there TaraLynn, I'm hoping I'm going back too next month :) Have done 2 swims this week without having to resort to bed after, another planned for tomorrow morning. Have booked myself in to Aqua Zumba (!!) on Monday. Used to love doing normal Zumba classes before my first big flare, loved the energy and pace of the music and really letting rip. Did try aqua zumba last year but was totally embarrassed when I leapt out the water with a big "whoop!" like you would in a normal zumba class......obviously not done in the aqua one as all of middle England turned to look at me with surprise! Whoops!
Seen the new instructor who's Latin and you can hear the whoops shouts and laughter from the changing rooms, so I though Ill have me some of that. Even if I can just gig along to the music and jump and shout, reckon it will do me good! Wish me luck x

There aren't any places that offer Tai Chi classes where I live. Can anyone offer really good dvd's for beginners and those of us with PsA?

I love these... She is also on our local PBS station every weekday for free (although I have a DVD too)

http://www.classicalstretch.com/

Sandy

Was sent this by a friend, gave me a giggle