Life is a hoot

a palm nailer will solve that problem

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen those. Not sure theyā€™d be faster than a hammer and nail though. 1x stuff Iā€™ve been tacking together with the brad nailer, then screwing or nailing it. Holding 2x stuff in place while you fire that framing nailer puts your hand in precarious positions. Iā€™m gonna see if I can get better with the framer, though. Iā€™ll price the palm nailer. Thanks!

Given your record with a drill, Iā€™m guessing the hospital staff would encourage whatever the safest option is :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

The hardest part of this disease is the stuff you can no longer do - whatever it is. That takes lots of time and patience to deal with and still nevertheless just plain emotionally hurts. But Iā€™m loving your collective ideas to still do stuff. I want to be a fly on the wall watchingā€¦

Iā€™m usually pretty safe, but I was trying to push through the methotrexate haze and got sloppy. Iā€™ve known since I was a kid not to push a tool in the direction of a body part, but I got tired and inattentive, and jammed a phillips bit in one side of my index finger and out the other. This dā€”d disease (and its meds) is a triple whammy: pain/stiffness, fatigue, and muzzy-headedness/nausea. If one doesnā€™t get ya, the the next one will. Now that I am on the Enbril and a reduced MtX dose, Iā€™m a bit less out of it, and Iā€™m a little chastened by my mangled digit, so maybe itā€™ll be a while before I poke another hole in myself. (I also bought a big bag of 1/4-inch lag screws, on the theory that itā€™s REALLY hard to shove an air wrench through your hand.)

(my curiosity is getting the best of meā€¦ What curse word starts with d and ends with d? Or am I just too young to get it? :joy:)

I know Cynthia- I had the same thought! :joy::joy:

Then I realised that perhaps the people on this site were a whole lot more polite than me, so perhaps the word was just ā€œdamnedā€ (cause the words I am used to from the drillers that I used to work withā€¦, well, that word hardly requires censure). Perhaps Iā€™m wrong, and someone else can illuminate??

Iā€™m hearing you. I spend so much time ā€œplanningā€ any project, even down to cooking a new recipe, and writing it out in simple steps for myself, so if Iā€™m not feeling 100%, I donā€™t have to make unecessary decisions along the way :joy:

ā€œdamnedā€ (Trying to be a good citizen!)

1 Like

Yeah. I worked as a technical writer for a couple of years: really enjoyed it. I always plan things out on paper before I build them, everything from a building to a simple shelf. Some people - my wife for example - like to ā€œfeelā€ their way through a design as they make the item. She weaves that way, sews that way (flinging cloth at the dress form!). I like firmer materials which I can make conform to my design. She likes stuff that sort of floats around. Never the twain shall meet. When we make something together, it can be stressful. We built a peacock flight cage once together: should have had a marriage counselor on that job.

Or it could be ā€œdiddled,ā€ I suppose.

Oooh im such a bad person for not even considering that a ā€œbadā€ word :see_no_evil: haha I do have less of a ā€œfilterā€ in English then I do in Dutchā€¦ since I listened to a lot of Eminem when I started to learn English :joy: but Iā€™m not very ā€œdecentā€ in the censoring myself wayā€¦

I like working from a meticulous plan but I have so much trouble to actually making the plan before startingā€¦ usually I just want to start right now

Iā€™m with Cynthia, it simply wouldnā€™t have ever occured to me to censor ā€˜damnedā€™. I wondered what it was too and simply never got it. But I am Irish so probably favour more f with an e following type words!

2 Likes

Growing up, I read a lot of British lit. Those authors were forever doing the ā€œdā€”dā€ thing. I liked it: it seemed classy and a little exotic. Iā€™ve had Jewish students who wouldnā€™t write out ā€œGodā€ in their papers. I like almost any intricacy of language, even ones which are the fruit of sensibilities I donā€™t share. I did tree work for several years: the air fairly crackled with f-bombs. As a school teacher, I was held to a tighter, not to say higher, standard. My highest political principle is individual freedom, with emphasis on freedom of expression, so I donā€™t object to what anyone might say at any time. These days I take and teach a lot of adult-ed writing classes, some at a fancy retirement village near here, and I can tell you those nonagenarians can write some pretty raunchy stuff! Great: theyā€™ve earned it. Eminem, whatever edgy rap cachet he may convey, is quite a traditionalist, actually. I wonder if he knows this. Heā€™s always seemed suspiciously bourgeois to me.

I see you have ā€œpooā€ as part of your name. I think you meant to type ā€œp-o.ā€ LOL ā€œKutya,ā€ by the way, is Hungarian for ā€œdog.ā€ We have given the name to our latest dog, a vagabond from Puerto Rico. We were going to name him ā€œperritoā€, but discovered that my wife canā€™t roll her rā€™s. Life is full of compromises.

Sorry, rambling.

Poo therapy comes from volunteer farm work I used to do, namely mucking out pigs. And it was seriously good therapy on a Sunday morning. Sadly I canā€™t do that anymore. I miss it more than I can ever say.

I love words and language too. I write for a living as in I write decisions on comsumer complaints about financial products. But what I love exploring is just how we use language and in differents parts of a country, itā€™s just different, not just how it sounds but also the words and phrases used for things. Fascinates me.

1 Like

The first 3 letters of your name is the Dutch swear word I use the most :joy:

Iā€™m not sure how I feel about swear words and using themā€¦ I do really hate censoring them thoughā€¦ thats probably mostly because those beeps they use on TV etc hurt my earsā€¦ and youā€™re not fooling anyone even the little kids when you just beep the u in f :zipper_mouth_face: ckā€¦ you do however fool me when you write dā€“d :joy:

2 Likes

We had a farm for quite a while. We tried to make a business of it, providing super-clean wool and mohair fleeces to handspinners.

I read once that a single goat generates a ton of manure each year, plus waste hay and bedding. Multiply that by the 30 or so fiber animals, add in a donkey and thirty chickens, a half dozen geese, and a few experiments - Angora rabbits, peacocks (for no rational reason whatsoever), ducks, etc. - and before you know it, poo abounds. At that point you buy a tractor-loader to move it around, a tractor to pull the spreader (and to drag out firewood), and a tractor as a backup for the other two (junk) tractors, and life gets pretty complicated. We did have the best garden soil in the universe, though.

Now we have just one sheep, Icelandic - his goat companion died last year - thirty chickens, one goose, and a number of vagabond dogs in various states of disrepair. Each spring, we fork and scrape out our little barn: it gets harder each year anyway, and now I have this PsA. Not quite sure where this animal thing is going, but I do have 25 baby chicks coming on June 8, so hope is still springing eternal, apparently. My wife, though strong and ridiculously healthy, is a 105-pounder, so I have to pull my weight. I outweigh her by more than 2:1, and weā€™ve always kind of relied on that.

Weā€™ll always have rescue dogs (five at present, plus half-time care of my motherā€™s two - sheā€™s 97, gets tired ). And weā€™ll always have chickens: I canā€™t imagine not having them.

I would describe our poop situation as ā€œmanageableā€ at present, and what more can one ask of life?

1 Like

Well in Ireland they say the f word but usually with an e following than a u!

Gosh it sounds sublime with all those animals. Iā€™ve just got an elderly cat and a young gorgeous black Labrador. A neighbour has geese though.

It was wonderful, but it was a lot of work, and we made a very meager living. So I sort of started over and went back into teaching. Iā€™ve been lucky: Iā€™ve always had work I enjoyed, at least for a while and to a degree. I ended up doing thirty years of teaching, twenty years of other stuff.

My wife and my #1 shared interest is animals. Weā€™ve been ā€œrescuingā€ animals for 35 years, mostly dogs and cats. I think I said we have five now, and my motherā€™s two half the time. Sheā€™s 97, and can only care for hers about half the time, so theyā€™re here a lot. Itā€™s not hard, though: we have pretty extensive areas of lawn and woods fenced in and a couple of those little plastic dog doors, so everybody just sort of wanders in and out. I make most of my own dog food and biscuits (well, more gigantic croutons!), but the vet bills can be pretty astronomic, particularly since we often adopt the older dogs which would otherwise just sit in the shelter. We havenā€™t decided whether to have any more sheep down the road. The current one is sort of a pet, wanders around the yard most of the time, but we donā€™t really have any decent pasture at this house. Then thereā€™s the PsA. I used to feel confident in retaining my physical abilities over time, but now I donā€™t know. A year ago ago I was still hiking and doing heavy work; now I creep around doing old guy chores. I have to have a sense of humor about it, or Iā€™d be pretty bitter.

1 Like