Leucovorin Calcium for Methotrexate side effects

Leucovorin Calcium is a pill that helps with the side effects of Methotrexate. My 4th rheumy prescribed it, so I thought I would post it here because I don't think rheumys don't often prescribe it.

Thats because its a resue drug for high dose MTX when liver tox screens go bad. It hasn't been studied for PsA, but so far tests with RA patients, show an increase in symptoms. It less with a single dose 48 hours after the MTX dose. There are many parts of the world where folic acid isn't used.

Leucovorin is a folate derivative so works similarly to Folic acid but costs way more. I was on it for a while when my liver enzymes were high and I was on a high dose of mtx. Leucovorin can cause a red, sore mouth but also treats it if it is from mtx. It helped mine caused by mtx. But is also can cause a build up of fluid in the chest cavity; I have had pneumonia, bronchitis and pleurisy a number of times so it was a risk I was hesitant to take. I stopped my occasional glasses of wine and we were able to reduce my mtx dose when I found a biologic that worked (at least for a while!) and have been on folic acid for the last few years and my blood work looks better. I now drink 2 glasses of wine about 4 times a year and at my last visit she said I could increase it if I want to.

I have been on leucovorin almost as long as I've been on MTX, and have had no problems with it at all. It also alleviated the side effects from the MTX. One rheumy said to take it 8 hours after the MTX, another said 12 hours. Mine has been super cheap, too. I guess everyone's experience is different.

It helped my side effects immensely.

That is super, Francis! Hopefully, it makes MTX easier to take.