Humira causing psoriasis?

My daughter contracted Brown's Syndrome - the thought is her PSA is causing the tendons to swell in her eye. Her rheumy wants to start her taking Humira. This will be Lauren's first time on a biologic. Lauren's concern is that she may develop psoriasis from using the Humira. Has anyone found this to be true? Right now, she does not have psoriasis......but back, jaw and overall pain - and now, the eye.Thank you!

Karen

Its not unheard of for existing P to flare temporarily.

You have a pretty sharp doc. Listen to his advice. FWIW since my grandaughter started active treatment her nystagmus as predicted by the Casey Eye Institute has virtually disappeared. Apparently eye stuff isn't unusual. Good luck to you all. How old is lauren?

As tnt said, there is a chance that current psoriasis flares on the initial dose, but you run that risk with any systematic treatment. You can download the instruction manual for the Humira on net and it will have the probable of AEs that occurred during trial. Humira is a good drug, I would follow the advice of her doctor

I’m sure, what you have read or herd, refers to the rare cases of localized postulate psoriasis that has occurred during trials. Any major event that occurs durable trials is listed and doesn’t necessarily mean the drug caused it.

She just turned 23. Lauren sees a rheumatologist and an ophtamologist. Both are working together at this point - and are great. Brown's Syndrome is very rare (in adults) and so they are hoping the biologic takes care of many of her issues - including the eye. It will be a wait/see - but they realize she must taper off the prednisone.

Thanks,

Karen

tntlamb said:

Its not unheard of for existing P to flare temporarily.

You have a pretty sharp doc. Listen to his advice. FWIW since my grandaughter started active treatment her nystagmus as predicted by the Casey Eye Institute has virtually disappeared. Apparently eye stuff isn't unusual. Good luck to you all. How old is lauren?

Its going to be a long process for sure... I would have thought the predi would work well enough to indicate whether the Humira would be a long term/ permanent solution. BE AWARE that virtually every time a PsA patient weans off predi there is a massive flare in the psoriasis.