Humera by itself - not working so far

Hello friends,

I am trying to catch up with the boards, but life is a whirlwind lately. I am like a chicken without head at work and then, since I have been flaring up like a mad person since August, once at home I need to go to bed soon.

I have been taking Humera now for about 10 weeks and so far nada, zippo, zero, no dice. Pain is getting worse. Sometimes my hips relax for one or two days but sciatica is my constant companion. My blood pressure is going up because of the Reprexain and now I take pills for BP too.

Monday I have a visit with my rheumy, see what she wants to do because I am banging my head against the wall. not looking forward to anything: not looking forward to add MTX back to the mix, not looking forward to change biologics and start all the mess with the insurance company again, not looking forward to keep on waiting "to see if it works", most definitely not looking forward to steroidal medication but something we will have to do, this cannot stay like this. I guess that 2 straight weeks of sciatica and hand and knee pain can put you in a really bad mood, especially when you cannot break away from work :( Chiro has not been able to help me either :(

Namaste

Isabella

I hope you are taking a NSAID such as Naproxen or Diclofenac. Sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me sane while I wait for the biologics to work. I am on Remicade now, it is my fifth biologic. They each last about a year before my body makes antibodies and renders them useless. They do take at least 3 months to work, some more. I also inject mtx once a week which does help with symptoms and will slow me from making antibodies. I use Naproxen 500 mg morning and night with Tylenol 1000 mg and sometimes a dose of Tylenol in the middle of the day. I stretch out (sort of yoga per PT) twice a week and sit in a whirl pool for 20 minutes. As long as I am taking a NSAID and mtx I can manage with some adjustments until the biologics kick in. Have you been seen by PT yet? They have helped me immensely to keep my life on track with some adjustments. Good luck with all of this, I do know it is very hard waiting.

Thanks for your answers :) I am taking Reprexain (hydrocone/ibuprofen), right now between 4 and 6 pills/day . And yes, I am taking Humera every other week. I never had PT but it i something I had in my mind. I will see my rheumy tomorrow and I am going to present the possibility. I love yoga but I tried to go back to yoga this spring, when I was feeling better and it was too painful, I need to create a modified set of exercises. If my Humera is going to take another month to kick, I need something to help, I am at the end of my rope. I have been up at 5:00 am all weekend because the back pain wakes me up and I cannot sleep at all. I spent a lot of hours on my feet cooking a dinner for friends (worth the pain, beautiful evening), and next week I have my sailboat certification test, all weekend sailing messing with ropes and sails. I do not have time for this crap, I really don't :(

Thanks for your replies and support, they really do a lot of good :)

Isabella

I'm wondering if you should try hydrotherapy or if you have access to hot tub? We have a hot tub and I'm finding the heat and light jets are soothing. I also find it is a good place to exercise my hands, feet and do some light stretching. I know that there is a hydrotherapy pool at a hospital in a town close to our area where you can work with a PT. I have thought about going myself, however I would have to travel. Sending you healing thoughts and hope that you find the right combination and some relief soon :-)

Surferette said:

Thanks for your answers :) I am taking Reprexain (hydrocone/ibuprofen), right now between 4 and 6 pills/day . And yes, I am taking Humera every other week. I never had PT but it i something I had in my mind. I will see my rheumy tomorrow and I am going to present the possibility. I love yoga but I tried to go back to yoga this spring, when I was feeling better and it was too painful, I need to create a modified set of exercises. If my Humera is going to take another month to kick, I need something to help, I am at the end of my rope. I have been up at 5:00 am all weekend because the back pain wakes me up and I cannot sleep at all. I spent a lot of hours on my feet cooking a dinner for friends (worth the pain, beautiful evening), and next week I have my sailboat certification test, all weekend sailing messing with ropes and sails. I do not have time for this crap, I really don't :(

Thanks for your replies and support, they really do a lot of good :)

Isabella

Reprexain may be part of the problem. Hydrocodone is NOT a good match for PsA. It frequently causes a lot of joint pain. It also changes your whole pain control mechanism. Everybody is different of course. A course of steroids isn't a bad idea. It jump starts the whole thing.

You definitley need to get into some PT and learn a good SI Stretch routine. I don't think its ever been studied but there are strong connections between "pain" and activity. For those who have been active and become less so pretty suddenly, we know they suffer "exercise withdrawl"

Even this fat ol fart started hurting after a couple days of skipping my "yoga" routine while shuffeling between special care units. There are two cute little 3rd year med students who may be traumitized for life after walking in on my downward dog. (Its a lot easier to start than finish) If you have been active in life, its actually harder........

Humira’s not doing anything for me yet, either. My doc prescribed a twenty day tapered prednisone course to help out. I’m hating the usual steroid side effects but I’m grateful for the extra energy and slightly reduced inflammation. I overdid it yesterday as the magic pills made me feel like WonderWoman. Woke up at 3:00am with all my joints on fire. Took a Tramadol, cried, GF rubbed my back and I fell back to sleep at 3:30. Hang in there. It isn’t easy. Just hold on.

Oh, and I’m going to restorative yoga tonight. It’s my favorite part of the week. 90 minutes, five or six positions, blankets, straps, blocks and bliss. It is all long stretches (some of which can make me cry as they’re such a release) but it keeps by back, hips and core moving and strengthened. And it gets me connected to my breath. Can’t beat it.

Ok. After visiting my doc, I got the MTX back. 6 pills on Sunday plus Humera every other week. Got two shots of steroids too for good measure, as much as I hate them, they helped me a lot, pain went down 80% (except for the hip where the medical assistant gave me the two shots, I swear that girl thinks is a matador, next injection of whatever, I am doing it myself) . I will start MTX this Sunday and take it from there,

Funny, funny big guy:) I feel I have may have traumatized more than a few co- workers in the past the same way. As a teacher I was really into those kiddy games way to much. I played tag every day and the newbies didn't know what to think of an old fart running around like a kid. I get definite exercise withdrawals, makes me even crabbier if possible:) I don't have any fancy drugs to deal with just good old anti inflammatory and topical because I don't tolerate any pain meds at all. I'm an old Hippi and not sure of just what I'll feel comfortable with but I do Know I would not take the Hydorcodone after watching my husband receive it as a treatment therapy. Is this good for Osteo? This concerns me greatly.
Good luck and keep stretching, feels good just thinking about it.
tntlamb said:

Reprexain may be part of the problem. Hydrocodone is NOT a good match for PsA. It frequently causes a lot of joint pain. It also changes your whole pain control mechanism. Everybody is different of course. A course of steroids isn't a bad idea. It jump starts the whole thing.

You definitley need to get into some PT and learn a good SI Stretch routine. I don't think its ever been studied but there are strong connections between "pain" and activity. For those who have been active and become less so pretty suddenly, we know they suffer "exercise withdrawl"

Even this fat ol fart started hurting after a couple days of skipping my "yoga" routine while shuffeling between special care units. There are two cute little 3rd year med students who may be traumitized for life after walking in on my downward dog. (Its a lot easier to start than finish) If you have been active in life, its actually harder........